Characterization of diethylstilbestrol-induced hypospadias in female mice
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2001
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 266, Issue 1, pages 43–50, 1 January 2002
How to Cite
Miyagawa, S., Buchanan, D. L., Sato, T., Ohta, Y., Nishina, Y. and Iguchi, T. (2002), Characterization of diethylstilbestrol-induced hypospadias in female mice. Anat. Rec., 266: 43–50. doi: 10.1002/ar.10033
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2001
- Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of Japan
- Science and Technology Agency of Japan
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Grant Number: H10-seikatsu-016
- 1998. Uterotrophic activity of bisphenol A in the immature rat. Environ Health Perspect 106: 719–720. , .
- 1997. Estrogen-induced epithelial proliferation and cornification are uncoupled in sinus vaginal epithelium associated with uterine stroma. Differentiation 62: 171–178. , .
- 1998. Role of stromal and epithelial estrogen receptors in vaginal epithelial proliferation, stratification and cornification. Endocrinology 139: 4345–4352. , , , , , .
- 1976. Stromal induction and specification of morphogenesis and cytodifferentiation of the epithelia of the Müllerian ducts and urogenital sinus during development of the uterus and vagina in mice. J Exp Zool 196: 361–370. .
- 1985. Stroma-epithelial interactions in the determination of hormone responsiveness. In: McLachlanJA, editor. Estrogens in the environment. Influence on development. New York: Elsevier. p 273–287. , , , .
- 1963. Cyst of the epididymis, cancer of the cervix, glandular cell myoblastoma and other lessions after estrogen injection. J Natl Cancer Inst 31: 425–455. , .
- 1965. An experimental approach to the problem of the derivation of the vaginal epithelium. J Embryol Exp Morph 14: 213–222. .
- 1979. Developmental mechanism of estrogen-induced irreversible changes in the mouse cervicovaginal epithelium. Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 51: 41–56. .
- 1968. Abnormalities in the adult mouse vagina after neonatal estradiol treatment. Biol Neonat 12: 175–179. , .
- 1992. Identification of programmed cell death in situ via specific labeling of nuclear DNA fragmentation. J Cell Biol 119: 493–501. , , .
- 1992. Cellular effects of early exposure to sex hormones and antihormones. Int Rev Cytol 139: 1–57. .
- 1976. Occurrence of permanent changes in vaginal and uterine epithelia in mice treated neonatally with progestin, estrogen and aromatizable or non-aromatizable androgens. Endocrinol Jpn 23: 327–332. , .
- 1988. Vaginal abnormalities in ovariectomized BALB/cCrgl mice after neonatal exposure to different doses of diethylstilbestrol. Cancer Lett 43: 207–214. , , , .
- 1972. Apoptosis: a basic biological phenomenon with wide ranging implications in tissue kinetics. Br J Cancer 26: 239–257. , , .
- 2000. Estrogenic activity of octylphenol, nonylphenol, bisphenol A and methoxychlor in rats. Toxicol Sci 54: 154–167. , , , , .
- 1994. Spatiotemporal pattern of DNA synthesis detected by bromodeoxyuridine labeling in the mouse endometorial stroma during decidualization. Zool Sci 11: 291–297. , , , , .
- 1991. Postnatal vaginal nodules induced by prenatal diethylstilbestrol treatment correlate with later development of ovary-independent vaginal and uterine changes in mice. Cancer Lett 58: 167–175. , , , , , .
- 1997. Mouse vaginal opening is an apoptosis-dependent process which can be prevented by the overexpression of Bcl2. Dev Biol 184: 115–121. , , , , .
- 1996. Estrogen receptor (ER) and its messenger ribonucleic expression in the genital tract of female mice exposed neonatally to tamoxifen and diethylstilbestrol. Anat Rec 244: 374–385. , , , , .
- 1963. Vaginal cornification in persistent-estrus mice. Endocrinology 72: 607–619. .
- 1976. Cytological basis for permanent vaginal changes in mice treated neonatally with steroid hormones. Int Rev Cytol 44: 193–224. .
- 1962. Crystal and concretions in the vaginae of persistent-estrous mice. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 109: 622–624. , .
- 1964. Tissue change in mice with persistent vaginal cornification induced by estrogen. J Natl Cancer Inst 33: 855–865. , .
- 1962. Persistent vaginal cornification in mice. Science 138: 438–439. , , .
- 1997. Prostate enlargement in mice due to fetal exposure to low doses of estradiol or diethylstilbestrol and opposite effects at high doses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 2056–2061. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A physiological approach to the study of bisphenol A and other estrogenic chemicals on the size of reproductive organs, daily sperm production, and behavior. Toxicol Ind Health 14: 239–260. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Effects of a phytoestrogen diet on estrogen-dependent reproductive processes in immature female rats. Steroids 57: 56–61. , .