Fax: (801) 584-2533
Experimental confirmation of the sheep model for studying the role of calcified fibrocartilage in hip fractures and tendon attachments †
Version of Record online: 14 FEB 2002
Published 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 266, Issue 3, pages 177–183, 1 March 2002
How to Cite
Shea, J. E., Hallows, R. K. and Bloebaum, R. D. (2002), Experimental confirmation of the sheep model for studying the role of calcified fibrocartilage in hip fractures and tendon attachments . Anat. Rec., 266: 177–183. doi: 10.1002/ar.10051
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue online: 15 FEB 2002
- Version of Record online: 14 FEB 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2001
- Office of Research and Development, Department of Veterans Affairs
- 1998. Interspecies differences in bone composition, density, and quality: potential implications for in vivo bone research. Endocrinology 139: 663–670. , , , .
- 1997. Morphological and structural characteristics of the proximal femur in human and rat. Bone 21: 261–267. , , , , .
- 1986. The histology of tendon attachments to bone in man. J Anat 149: 89–100. , , .
- 1991. Age-related changes in tendon fibrocartilage. J Anat 179: 127–136. , , .
- 1997. Tendons and ligaments—an overview. Histol Histopathol 12: 1135–1144. , .
- 2000. The mechanism of formation of bony spurs (enthesophytes) in the Achilles tendon. Arthritis Rheum 43: 576–583. , , .
- 1998. Intracortical remodeling in adult rat long bones after fatigue loading. Bone 23: 275–281. , , , , , .
- 1997. Fetal and postnatal development of the patella, patellar tendon and suprapatella in the rabbit; changes in the distribution of the fibrillar collagens. J Anat 190: 327–342. , .
- 1969. The chemical anatomy of bone. I. A comparative study of bone composition in sixteen vertebrates. J Bone Joint Surg Am 51: 456–466. , .
- 1997. Determining mineral content variations in bone using backscattered electron imaging. Bone 20: 485–490. , , , , .
- 1990. Reproducible method for calibrating the backscattered electron signal for quantitative assessment of mineral content in bone. Scanning Microsc 4: 591–603. , , , .
- 1993. Cortical aging differences and fracture implications for the human femoral neck. Bone 14: 769–778. , .
- 1998. Does microdamage accumulation affect the mechanical properties of bone? J Biomech 31: 337–345. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Assessment of the strength of proximal femur in vitro: relationship to femoral bone mineral density and femoral geometry. Bone 20: 213–218. , , , , , , .
- 1998. The interface between bone and tendon at an insertion site: a study of the quadriceps tendon insertion. J Anat 193: 605–616. , .
- 1970. Tendon and ligament insertion. A light and electron microscopic study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 52: 1–20. , .
- 1988. The effect of porosity and mineral content on the Young's modulus of elasticity of compact bone. J Biomech 21: 131–139. .
- 1996. The effects of ageing and changes in mineral content in degrading the toughness of human femora. J Biomech 29: 257–260. , , .
- 1991. Modified Giemsa stain for polymethyl methacrylate embedded undecalcified bone and bone marrow specimens. J Histotechnol 14: 85–88. , .
- 1991. Variations in the amount of calcified tissue at the attachments of the quadriceps tendon and patellar ligament in man. J Anat 174: 145–151. , , .
- 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226: 497–509. , , .
- 1992. On the rat model of human osteopenias and osteoporoses. Bone Miner 18: 227–236. , .
- 1996. Quantitative comparison of soft tissue-bone interface at chondral ligament insertions in the rabbit knee joint. J Anat 188: 367–373. , .
- 1996. An immunohistochemical study of enthesis development in the medial collateral ligament of the rat knee joint. Anat Embryol 194: 399–406. , , , .
- 1964. The density of organic and volatile and non-volatile inorganic components of bone. Anat Rec 149: 319–324. , , .
- 1994. Bone mineralization and histomorphometry in biopsies of osteoporotic patients treated with fluoride. Cells Mater 4: 287–297. , , .
- 1995. Stress distributions within the proximal femur during gait and falls: implications for osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 5: 252–261. , , .
- 1983. The mechanical characteristics of cancellous bone at the upper femoral region. J Biomech 16: 971–983. , , , , .
- 1968. The effect of variation in specific gravity and ash content on the mechanical properties of human compact bone. J Biomech 1: 207–210. .
- 1996. Are the etiologies of cervical and trochanteric hip fractures different? Bone 18: 133S–137S. , , .
- 1990. Fracture risk: a role for compact bone. Calcif Tissue Int 47: 191–193. .
- 1993. Age-related changes in the tensile properties of cortical bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am 75: 1193–1205. , , , .
- 1999. Femoral neck length and hip fracture risk. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1714–1720. , .
- 1997. Models of skeletal osteopenia in the rat. J Histotechnol 20: 209–213. .
- 1995. The potential of sheep for the study of osteopenia: current status and comparison with other animal models. Bone 16: 277S–284S. , , .
- 1999. Blood and lymph supply of the posterior cruciate ligament: a cadaver study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 7: 42–50. , .
- 2001. Osteocyte lacunae occupancy in the femoral neck cortex: an association with cortical remodeling in hip fracture cases and controls. Calcif Tissue Int 69: 13–19. , , , , , .
- 1998. Regional differences in cell shape and gap junction expression in rat Achilles tendon: relation to fibrocartilage differentiation. J Anat 193: 215–222. , , , , , .
- 1995. A new scanning electron microscopy approach to the quantification of bone mineral distribution: backscattered electron image grey-levels correlated to calcium Kα-line intensities. Scanning Microsc 9: 75–88. , , , .
- 1998. Validation of quantitative backscattered electron imaging for the measurement of mineral density distribution in human bone biopsies. Bone 23: 319–326. , , , .
- 1996. Ultrastructure of fibrocartilages at the insertion of the rat Achilles tendon. J Anat 189: 185–191. , , .
- 1990. Polypropylene containers for safe and predictable embedding of specimens in PMMA. J Histotechnol 13: 131–133. , , .
- 1994. Parallel experience of two different laboratories with the initiator perkadox 16 for polymerization of methylmethacrylates. J Histotechnol 17: 343–348. , .
- 2001a. Age-related changes in the mineralization of the female proximal femur. In: Proceedings of the 2001 Summer Bioengineering Conference, Snowbird, UT. p 301–302. , , .
- 2001b. Evidence of a hypermineralized calcified fibrocartilage on the human femoral neck and lesser trochanter. J Anat 198: 153–162. , , .
- 1993a. The meaning of graylevels in backscattered electron images of bone. J Biomed Mater Res 27: 47–56. , , , .
- 1993b. Influence of mineral content and composition on graylevels in backscattered electron images of bone. J Biomed Mater Res 27: 57–64. , , , , .
- 1996. Evidence of structural and material adaptation to specific strain features in cortical bone. Anat Rec 246: 47–63. , , , .
- 1997. Biomechanical implications of mineral content and microstructural variations in cortical bone of horse, elk and sheep calcanei. Anat Rec 249: 297–316. , , .
- 1955. Ash weight of human skeletons in per cent of their dry, fat-free weight. Anat Rec 123: 341–358. , .
- 1995. Consistency in calibrated backscattered electron images of calcified tissues and mineral analyzed in multiple imaging sessions. Scanning Microsc 9: 741–755. , , .
- 1999. Age-related hypermineralization in the female proximal human femur. Anat Rec 255: 202–211. , .
- 1999. Influence of topography and specimen preparation on backscattered electron images of bone. Scanning 21: 379–386. , , , .
- 2000. Decline in osteocyte lacunar density in human cortical bone is associated with accumulation of microcracks with age. Bone 26: 375–380. , , , , .
- 1991. Bone mineral density in patients with cervical and trochanteric fractures of the proximal femur. Osteoporos Int 1: 81–86. , , , , , .