Fax: (713) 500-0730
Localization of the transmembrane proteoglycan syndecan-4 and its regulatory kinases in costameres of rat cardiomyocytes: A deconvolution microscopic study
Article first published online: 17 JUL 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 268, Issue 1, pages 38–46, September 2002
How to Cite
VanWinkle, W. B., Snuggs, M. B., De Hostos, E. L., Buja, L. M., Woods, A. and Couchman, J. R. (2002), Localization of the transmembrane proteoglycan syndecan-4 and its regulatory kinases in costameres of rat cardiomyocytes: A deconvolution microscopic study. Anat. Rec., 268: 38–46. doi: 10.1002/ar.10130
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2002
- Article first published online: 17 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Received: 7 SEP 2001
- 1997. Developmental and cell-type-specific expression of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans in the rat heart. Exp Cell Res 230: 145–153. , , , .
- 1995. Protein kinase C regulates the recruitment of syndecan-4 into focal contacts. Mol Biol Cell 6: 1503–1513. , .
- 1992. Biology of the syndecans: a family of transmembrane heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Ann Rev Cell Biol 8: 365–393. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Characterization of protein kinase C isotype expression in adult rat heart. Protein kinase C-ε is a major isotype present, and it is activated by phorbol esters, epinephrine and endothelin. Circ Res 72: 757–767. , , .
- 1988. Focal adhesions: transmembrane junctions between the extracellular matrix and the cytoskeleton. Ann Rev Cell Biol 4: 487–525. , , , , .
- 1996. Focal adhesions, contractility and signaling. Ann Rev Cell Biol 12: 463–51. , .
- 1994a. Syndecan-1 expressed in Schwann cells causes morphological transformation and cytoskeletal reorganization and associates with actin during cell spreading. J Cell Biol 124: 161–170. , , , .
- 1994b. Aggregation-induced association of syndecan-1 with microfilaments mediated by the cytoplasmic domain. Exp Cell Res 214: 12–21. , , , , .
- 1996. The cytoplasmic domain of syndecan-1 is required for cytoskeletal but not detergent insolubility. Identification of essential cytoplasmic association domain residues. J Biol Chem 271: 15253–15260. , , .
- 1997. Syndecans: multifunctional cell-surface co-receptors. Biochem J 327: 1–16. .
- 1996. Differential translocation of protein kinase Cϵ during HeLa cell adhesion to a gelatin substrate. J Biol Chem 271: 13008–13012. , , .
- 1999. Syndecan-4 and integrins: combinatorial signaling in cell adhesion. J Cell Sci 112: 3415–3420. , .
- 1992. Costameres are the sites of force transmission to the substratum in adult rat cardiomyocytes. J Cell Biol 118: 1411–1420. , , , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning of amphiglycan, a novel integral membrane heparan sulfate proteoglycan expressed by epithelial and fibroblastic cells. J Cell Biol 118: 961–969. , , , , .
- 1993. Integral membrane heparan sulfate proteoglycans. FASEB J 7: 1023–1030. .
- 1994. Localization of protein kinase C isozymes in cardiac myocytes. Exp Cell Res 210: 287–297. , , .
- 1999. Syndecan-4 core protein is sufficient for the assembly of focal adhesions and actin stress fibers. J Cell Sci 112: 3433–3441. , , , , .
- 1990. Binding of human syndecan to extracellular matrix proteins. J Biol Chem 265: 17837–17843. , , , , .
- 1990. Re-expression of a smooth muscle actin isoform in cultured adult rat cardiomyocytes. Dev Biol 139: 269–278. , , , .
- 1978. Myofilament-generated tension oscillations during partial calcium activation and activation dependence of the sarcomere length-tension relation of skinned cardiac cells. J Gen Physiol 72: 667–699. , .
- 1995. Heparan sulfate and protein recognition. Binding specificities and activation mechanisms. In: AlaviaA, AxfordJS, editors. Glycoimmunology. New York: Plenum Press. p 125–134. .
- 1995. Immunocytochemical localization of eight protein kinase C isozymes overexpressed in NIH 3T3 fibroblasts. Isoform-specific association with microfilaments, Golgi, endoplasmic reticulum and nuclear and cell membranes. J Biol Chem 270: 9991–10001. , , , .
- 1987. Immunocytochemistry of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan in mouse tissues. A light and electron microscopic study. J Histochem Cytochem 35: 1079–1088. , , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of syndecan-4 phosphorylation in vivo. J Biol Chem 273: 10914–10918. , .
- 1998. Direct interaction of CASK/LIN-2 and syndecan heparan sulfate proteoglycan and their overlapping distribution in neuronal synapses. J Cell Biol 142: 139–151. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Arachidonic acid stimulates protein kinase C-α redistribution in heart cells. J Cell Sci 110: 1625–1634. , , , .
- 1991. Possible regulatory functions of protein kinase C-α isoenzymes in rat renal mesangial cells. Stimulation of prostaglandin synthesis and feedback inhibition of angiotensin II-stimulated phosphoinositide hydrolysis. Biochem J 279: 441–445. , , .
- 2000. The cysteine-rich domain of human ADAM 12 supports cell adhesion through syndecans and triggers signaling events that lead to β integrin-dependent cell spreading. J Cell Biol 149: 1143–1155. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Collagenous skeleton of the human mitral papillary muscle. Anat Rec 252: 509–518. , .
- 1995. The molecular architecture of focal adhesions. Ann Rev Cell Dev Biol 11: 379–416. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Role of endogenous renin-angiotensin system in c-fos activation and PKC-ϵ translocation in adult rat hearts. Am J Physiol 270: H2177–2183. , , , , .
- 1991. Basic fibroblast growth factor in cultured cardiac myocytes. Ann Rev N Y Acad Sci 638: 244–255. , , .
- 1994. Cell surface syndecan-1 on distinct cell types differs in fine structure and ligand binding of its heparan sulfate chains. J Biol Chem 269: 18881–1889. , , , , .
- 1994. Members of the syndecan family of heparan sulfate proteoglycans are expressed in distinct cell-, tissue-, and developmental-specific patterns. Mol Biol Cell 5: 797–805. , , , .
- 1998. Cortactin-Src kinase signaling pathway is involved in N-syndecan-dependent neurite outgrowth. J Biol Chem 273: 10702–10708. , , , , , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning and expression of two distinct cDNA-encoding heparan sulfate proteoglycan core proteins from a rat endothelial cell line. J Biol Chem 267: 4870–4877. , , .
- 1996. Protein kinase C α is necessary for erythropoietin's up-regulation of c-myc and for factor-dependent DNA synthesis. Evidence for discrete signals for growth and differentiation. J Biol Chem 271: 27025–27030. , , .
- 1998. Macrophage-dependent regulation of syndecan gene expression. Circ Res 81: 785–796. , , , , .
- 1998. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans as adhesive and anti-invasive molecules. Syndecans and glypican have distinct functions. J Biol Chem 273: 23825–23832. , , , , , .
- 1999. Control of morphology, cytoskeleton and migration by syndecan-4. J Cell Sci 112: 3421–3431. , , , , , .
- 1997. Identification of an adhesion site within the syndecan-4 extracellular protein domain. J Biol Chem 272: 12901–12904. , .
- 1993. Remodeling of cardiomyocyte cytoarchitechture visualized by three-dimensional (3D) confocal microscopy. Histochemistry 100: 193–202. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Immunofluorescent localization of the transforming protein of Rous sarcoma virus with antibodies against a synthetic src peptide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 79: 5322–5326. , , , , .
- 1997a. Syndecan-4 proteoglycan regulates the distribution and activity of protein kinase C. J Biol Chem 272: 8133–8136. , , .
- 1997b. Multimerization of the cytoplasmic domain of syndecan-4 is required for its ability to activate protein kinase C. J Biol Chem 272: 11805–1181. , , .
- 1998. Syndecan-4 proteoglycan cytoplasmic domain and phosphatidyl 4,5-bisphosphate coordinately regulate protein kinase C activity. J Biol Chem 273: 10624–10629. , , , , .
- 1998. Tyrosine phosphorylation of syndecan-1 and -4 cytoplasmic domains in adherent B82 fibroblasts. J Biol Chem 273: 35291–35298. , .
- 1991. A novel fluorescent ceramide analogue for studying membrane traffic in animal cells: accumulation at the Golgi apparatus results in altered spectral properties of the sphingolipid precursor. J Cell Biol 113: 1267–1279. , , , .
- 1996. Mechanical measurements from isolated cardiac myocytes using a pipette attachment system. Am J Physiol 270 (Cell Physiol 39): C697–C704. , , .
- 1983. Vinculin is a component of an extensive network of myofibril-sarcolemmal attachment regions in cardiac muscle fibers. J Cell Biol 97: 1081–1088. , , .
- 1994. Differential regulation of protein kinase C isoforms in isolated neonatal and adult rat cardiomyocytes. J Biol Chem 269: 16938–16944. , , , , .
- 1986. Cell surface proteoglycan associates with the cytoskeleton at the basolateral cell surface of mouse mammary epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 103: 2683–2696. , , .
- 2000. Syndecan-regulated receptor signaling. J Cell Biol 149: 995–997. .
- 1980. Adhesion plaques of Rous sarcoma virus-transformed cells contain the src gene product. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 77: 3514–3518. .
- 1994. Protein kinase C isoform expression and regulation in the developing rat heart. Circ Res 74: 299–309. , .
- 1992. Basic fibroblast growth factor-syndecan complex at cell surface or immobilized to matrix promotes cell growth. J Biol Chem 267: 17606–17610. , , .
- 1995. Syndecan family of cell surface proteoglycans: developmentally regulated receptors for extracellular effector molecules. Experientia 51: 863–872. , .
- 1999. Syndecan-4 signals cooperativity with integrins in a Rho-dependent manner in the assembly of focal adhesions and actin stress fibers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 2805–2810. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Focal adhesions: a nexus for intracellular signaling and cytoskeletal dynamics. Exp Cell Res 261: 25–36. , .
- 1997. Mechanical forces regulate focal adhesion and costamere assembly in cardiac myocytes. Am J Physiol 273: H546–H556. , , , , .
- 2001. Syndecan-4-mediated signaling. Cell Signal 13: 855–862. , .
- 1995. Heparan sulfate-mediated cell aggregation. Syndecans-1 and -4 mediate intercellular adhesion following their transfection into human B lymphoid cells. J Biol Chem 270: 5077–5083. , , , , .
- 1994. Cytoskeletal alterations in cultured cardiomyocytes following exposure to the lipid peroxidation product, 4-hydroxynonenal. Cell Motil Cytoskel 28: 119–134. , , , .
- 1995. Hypoxia-induced alterations in cytoskeleton coincide with collagenase expression in cultured neonatal rat cardiomyocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol 27: 2531–2542. , , .
- 1996. Cardiogel: a biosynthetic extracellular matrix for cardiomyocyte culture. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol 32: 478–485. , , .
- 1978. Force generation among cells in the relaxing heart. Eur J Cardiol 7(suppl): 63–70. , .
- 1986. Adhesion and cytoskeletal organization of fibroblasts in response to fibronectin fragments. EMBO J 5: 665–670. , , , .
- 1992. Protein kinase C involvement in focal adhesion formation. J Cell Sci 101: 277–290. , .
- 1994. Syndecan-4 heparan sulfate proteoglycan is a selectively enriched and widespread focal adhesion component. Mol Biol Cell 5: 183–192. , .
- 2001. Syndecan-4 and focal adhesion function. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 578–583. , .
- 1999. N-cadhedrin/catenin-based costameres in cultured chicken cardiomyocytes. J Cell Biochem 75: 93–104. , , , .
- 1999. Syndecan-4 is expressed by B lineage lymphocytes can transmit a signal for formation of dendritic processes. J Immunol 162: 5940–5948. , , , , , .
- 1999. The syndecans: tuners of transmembrane signalling. FASEB J 13(suppl): S91–S100. , .