The content of this manuscript is part of a dissertation submitted by Dr. Yan-gao Man in November, 1997, to the Faculty of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences of Howard University in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Contributions of intercalated duct cells to the normal parenchyma of submandibular glands of adult rats†
Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 263, Issue 2, pages 202–214, 1 June 2001
How to Cite
Man, Y.-G., Ball, W. D., Marchetti, L. and Hand, A. R. (2001), Contributions of intercalated duct cells to the normal parenchyma of submandibular glands of adult rats. Anat. Rec., 263: 202–214. doi: 10.1002/ar.1098
- Issue online: 26 JUN 2001
- Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Received: 3 AUG 2000
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: DE06635
- University of Connecticut Health Center
- 1964. Continued inductive tissue interaction during differentiation of mouse embryonic rudiments in vitro. In: DefendiV, editor. Retention of functional differentiation in cultured cells. Philadelphia: The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, p 3–20. .
- 1984. Two independently regulated secretory systems within the acini of the submandibular gland of the perinatal rat. Eur J Cell Biol 33: 112–122. , .
- 1988a. Secretory proteins as markers for cellular phenotypes in rat salivary glands. Dev Biol 125: 265–279. , , .
- 1988b. A secretory protein restricted to Type I cells in neonatal rat submandibular glands. Dev Biol 129: 464–475. , , , .
- 1991. A neonatal secretory protein associated with secretion granule membranes in developing rat salivary glands. J Histochem Cytochem 39: 1693–1706. , , .
- 1993. The B1-immunoreactive proteins of the perinatal submandibular gland: Similarity to the major parotid gland protein, RPSP. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 4: 517–524. , , , , .
- 1996. Retrovirus-mediated gene transfer into salivary glands in vivo. Human Gene Ther 7: 613–618. , .
- 1994. Cell lineage study in the liver using retroviral-mediated gene transfer. Evidence against the streaming of hepatocytes in normal liver. Am J Pathol 144: 896–905. , , , .
- 1993. Proliferative and structural differences between male and female mouse submandibular glands. Anat Rec 235: 303–311. , , , .
- 1974. Cell population changes during acinus formation in the postnatal rat submandibular gland. Anat Rec 178: 187–202. .
- 1967. Thymidine metabolism and cell kinetics. Amsterdam: North Holland Publishing Company. .
- 1999. Dynamics of parenchymal cell division, differentiation, and apoptosis in the young female mouse submandibular gland. Anat Rec 254: 408–417. , .
- 1990a. Three-dimensional reconstruction of adult female mouse submandibular gland secretory structures. Anat Rec 226: 489–500. , , , .
- 1990b. Three-dimensional localization of DNA synthesis in secretory elements of adult female mouse submandibular gland. Adv Dent Res 4: 34–44. , , , .
- 1993. Parenchymal cell proliferation and mechanisms for maintenance of granular duct and acinar cell populations in adult male mouse submandibular gland. Anat Rec 235: 475–485. , , , .
- 1997. Salivary glands: a paradigm for diversity of gland development. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 8: 51–75. , , .
- 1995. Electron microscopy. In: GlaselJA, DeutscherM, editors. Introduction to biophysical methods for protein and nucleic acid research. New York: Academic Press, p 205–260. .
- 1991. Understanding Biostatistics, Mosby Year Book, Inc, St. Louis. .
- 1999. Statistical Package for the Social Sciences, Version 10. 0. Chicago: Statistical Packages for the Social Sciences. .
- 2000. Morphological aspects of the postnatal development of submandibular glands in male rats. Involvement of apoptosis. J Histochem Cytochem 48: 695–698. , , , , .
- 2000. Cell death during development of intercalated ducts in the rat submandibular gland. Anat Rec 258: 349–358. , , , , .
- 1959. Thymidine-3H as a tool for the investigation of renewal of cell populations. Lab Invest 8: 296–308. , , .
- 1985. Molecular cloning of mouse PSP mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res 13: 1–13. , .
- 1995. Persistence of a perinatal cellular phenotype in submandibular glands of the adult rat. J Histochem Cytochem 43: 1203–1215. , , , , .
- 1992. Neonatal rat submandibular gland protein SMG-A and parotid secretory protein are alternatively regulated members of a salivary protein multigene family. J Biol Chem 267: 2679–2687. , .
- 1993. Molecular cloning of developmentally regulated neonatal rat submandibular gland proteins. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 4: 525–530. , , .
- 1998. Characterization of the rat salivary-gland B1-immunoreactive proteins. Biochem J 330: 437–444. , , .
- 1989. Light and electron microscopic immunolocalization of rat submandibular gland mucin-glycoprotein and glutamine/glutamic acid-rich proteins. J Histochem Cytochem 37: 515–528. , , , , .
- 1990. Localization of neonatal secretory proteins in different cell types of the developing rat submandibular gland from embryogenesis to adulthood. Dev Biol 139: 370–382. , , .
- 1991. Accumulation and localization of two adult acinar cell secretory proteins during development of the rat submandibular gland. Am J Anat 191: 167–184. , , , .
- 1993. Human submandibular intercalated duct cells express an acinar phenotype when cultured on reconstituted basement membrane. Differentiation 52: 247–255. , , , , .
- 1986. Structure and expression of the parotid secretory protein gene of mouse. J Mol Biol 192: 567–576. , .
- 1987. Introducton to biostatistics. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company. , .
- 1998. Comparative ultrastructure of intercalated ducts in major salivary glands: a review. Anat Rec 252: 64–91. , , , .
- 1978. The morphology of salivary glands. New York: Academic Press. , .
- 1985. The streaming submandibular gland. Anat Rec 213: 150–158. , , .