Expression of Connexin43 in mouse Leydig, Sertoli, and germinal cells at different stages of postnatal development
Article first published online: 9 JUL 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 264, Issue 1, pages 13–24, 1 September 2001
How to Cite
Bravo-Moreno, J. F., Díaz-Sánchez, V., Montoya-Flores, J. G., Lamoyi, E., Saéz, J. C. and Pérez-Armendariz, E. M. (2001), Expression of Connexin43 in mouse Leydig, Sertoli, and germinal cells at different stages of postnatal development. Anat. Rec., 264: 13–24. doi: 10.1002/ar.1100
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2001
- Article first published online: 9 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2000
- CONACYT. Grant Number: 26789N
- DGAPA-UNAM. Grant Numbers: IN220197, IN231799
- FONDECYT. Grant Number: 8990008
- 2000. Connexin 43 gene expression and regulation in the rodent seminiferous epithelium. J Histochem Cytochem 48: 793–805. , , , , .
- 1999. Modified expression of testicular gap junction connexin43 during normal spermatogenic cycle and in altered spermatogenesis. Cell Tissue Res 298: 113–121. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Heterotypic gap junction channels (connexin26-connexin32) violate the paradigm of unitary conductance. Pflügers Arch 429: 870–872. , , , .
- 1979. Effects of the method of exsanguination on measurements of develomental changes in serum concentrations of follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone in prepubertal and adult male house mice. J Endocrinol 83: 6166. , , .
- 1991. Development of Sertoli cell junctional specializations and the distribution of the tight junction associated protein ZO-1 in the mouse testis. Am J Anat 191: 35–47. , , , .
- 1991. Sertoli-Sertoli cell tight junctions and the blood-testis barrier. In: CereijidoM, editor. Tight junctions. Boca Raton: CRC Press Inc. p 279–304. , .
- 1998. Enhanced secretion of amylase from exocrine pancreas of connexin32-deficient mice. J Cell Biol 141: 1267–1275. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Ontogeny of 3-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3-βHSD) isomerase in rat testis as studied by immunocytochemistry. Anat Embryol 187: 538–589. , , , .
- 1995. Specific permeability and selective formation of gap junction channels in connexin-transfected HeLa cells. J Cell Biol. 129: 805–817. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Junctional communication between isolated pairs of canine atrial cells is mediated by homogeneous and heterogeneous gap junction channels. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 10: 990–1004. , , .
- 1994. Developmentally regulated expression of a mouse germ cell nuclear antigen examined from embryonic day 11 to adult in male and female mice. Dev Biol 163: 331–340. , .
- 1967. The postnatal development of the Sertoli cells of the mouse. Z Zellforsch Mikrosk Anat 78: 92–113. .
- 1998. The gap junction protein connexin43 interacts with the second PDZ domain of the zona occludens-1 protein. Curr Biol 8: 931–934. , .
- 1976. The Sertoli cell occluding junctions and gap junctions in mature and developing mammalian testis. Dev Biol 50: 142–168. , , ,
- 1989. Kinetic studies on the development of the adult population of Leydig cells in testes of the pubertal rat. Endocrinology 124: 762–770. , , .
- 1999. Defects in the germ line and gonads of mice lacking connexin43. Biol Reprod 60: 1263–1270. , , , .
- 1987. Existence of calcium channels and intercellular coupling in the testosterone-secreting cells of the mouse. J Physiol (Lond) 393: 647–666. .
- 1993. Regulation of expression of the 3-βhydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of human placenta and fetal adrenal. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 47: 151–159. , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Gap junctions between Sertoli and germ cells of rat seminiferous tubules. Tissue Cell 11: 741–754. , , , .
- 1999. Differential expression of gap-junction gene connexin 31 in seminiferous epithelium of rat testes. FEBS Lett 453: 243–248. , , .
- 1996. Gap junction-mediated cell-to-cell communication in endocrine glands-molecular and functional aspects: a review. Eur J Endocrinol 135: 251–264. , .
- 1984. Hormone-induced intercellular signal transfer dissociates cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase. J Cell Biol 98: 1710–1719. , .
- 1961. Calendar of gametogenic development in the prepuberal male mouse. Science 134: 832–833. , , .
- 1976. The postnatal development of the junctional complexes of the mouse Sertoli cells as revealed by freeze fracture. Anat Rec 185: 403–418. , .
- 1984. Inhibition of luteinizing hormone secretion during quiescent interval of testicular androgen production in immature mice. J Steroid Biochem 20: 563–567. , , , , , .
- 1982. Proliferative pattern of seminal vesicle cells and the production of testosterone and 5 α-androgens from birth to adulthood in mice. Endocrinology 111: 1230–1234. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Functional coupling of neonatal rat Sertoli cells and gonocytes in coculture. Endocrinology 127: 2812–2820. , .
- 1999. Molecular determinants of electrical rectification of single channel conductance in gap junctions formed by connexins 26 and 32. J Gen Physiol 114: 339–364. , , , ,
- 1997. The role of α1 (connexin-43) gap junction expression in adrenal cortical cell function. Endocrinology 138: 5385–5397. , , ,
- 1995. Regulation of expression of steroidogenic enzymes in Leydig cells. Biol Reprod 52: 217–225. , .
- 1996. The distribution of Connexin 43 is associated with the germ cell differentiation and with the modulation of the Sertoli, cell junctional barrier in continual (guinea pig and seasonal Breeders (Mink) testes. J Androl 16: 400–409. .
- 1992. The blood testis barrier and Sertoli cell junctions: structural considerations. Microsc Res Tech 20: 3–33. , .
- 1994. Characterization of gap junctions between pairs of Leydig cells from mouse testis. Am J Physiol 267: C570–C580. , , , , , .
- 1995. Cx26, Cx32 and Cx43 are expressed in mammary glands from virgin, pregnant and lactating animals. Dev Growth Differ 37: 421–431. , , , .
- 1996. Luteinizing and human chorionic gonadotropin hormones increase intercellular communication and gap junctions in cultured mouse Leydig cells. Endocrinology 4: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2000. Unique and shared functions of different connexins in mice. Curr Biol 10: 1083–1091. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cardiac malformation in neonatal mice lacking connexin43. Science 267: 1831–1834. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Cell-, age- and stage-dependent distribution of connexin43 gap junctions in testes. J Cell Sci 103: 81–96. , , , .
- 2000. Connexin gene expression in seminiferous tubules of the Sprague–Dawley rat. Biol Reprod 62: 748–754. .
- 1996. Structure and development. In: PayneAH, HardyMP, RussellLD, editors. The Leydig cell. Vienna, IL: Cache River Press. p 43–96. .
- 1989. Hepatocyte gap junctions are permeable to the second messenger, inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate, and to calcium ions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 2708–2712. , , , .
- 1997. Phosphorylation of connexin43 and the regulation of neonatal rat cardiac myocyte gap junctions. J Mol Cell Cardiol 29: 2131–2145. , , , , , .
- 1993. The lutropin/choriogonadotropin receptor: four years later. Endocr Rev 14: 324–347. , .
- 1999. Expression of connexin 43 in human testis. Histochem Cell Biol 112: 215–220. , , .
- 1986. World Heath Organization. Special program of research, development and research training in human reproduction. Program for the provision of matched assay reagents for the radio immunoassay of hormones in reproductive physiology. Methods manual, 10th ed. Geneva: WHO. , , .
- 1996. Regulated assembly of connexin33 and connexin43 into rat Sertoli gap junctions. Biol Reprod 54: 1300–1310. , , , , , .
- 1994. Immunochemical and electrophysiological characterization of murine connexin40 and -43 in mouse tissues and transfected human cells. Eur J Cell Biol 64: 101–112. , , , , , , , .
- 1974. Cyclic AMP: cell-to-cell movement and inotropic effect in ventricular muscle, studied by a cut-end method. J Physiol (Lond) 242: 95P–96P. , .
- 1994. Intercellular communication between mouse Leydig cells. Am J Physiol 267: C563–C569. , .
- 1991. Proliferative activity of gonocytes, Sertoli cells and interstitial cells during testicular development in mice. J Reprod Fertil 93: 233–243. , , , , .
- 1993. Postnatal development of testicular cell populations in mice. J Reprod Fertil 99: 479–485. , , , , , .
- 1985. Secretion of anti-Mullerian hormone by immature bovine Sertoli cells in primary culture studied by a competition-type radioimmunoassay: lack of modulation by either FSH or testosterone. Mol Cell Endocrinol 43: 141–150. , , , , , .