Osteoblastic differentiation of periosteum-derived cells is promoted by the physical contact with the bone matrix in vivo
Article first published online: 17 JUL 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 264, Issue 1, pages 72–81, 1 September 2001
How to Cite
Shimizu, T., Sasano, Y., Nakajo, S., Kagayama, M. and Shimauchi, H. (2001), Osteoblastic differentiation of periosteum-derived cells is promoted by the physical contact with the bone matrix in vivo. Anat. Rec., 264: 72–81. doi: 10.1002/ar.1126
- Issue published online: 17 JUL 2001
- Article first published online: 17 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 7 NOV 2000
- 1998. Tissue engineered bone repair of calvarial defects using cultured periosteal cells. Plast Reconstr Surg 101: 567–574. , , , , , .
- 1996. Bone remodeling around implanted ceramics. J Biomed Mater Res 30: 117–124. , , , .
- 1997. The action of GF/ IGF-1/ IGFBP in osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Horm Res 48: 45–49. , .
- 1998. Current understanding of osteoconduction in bone regeneration. Clin Orthop 355S: 267–273. , .
- 1996. Differential cell replication within the periosteum of the pig mandibular ramus. Acta Anat 157: 144–150. , , .
- 1998. The cell and molecular biology of fracture healing. Clin Orthop 355S: 7–21. .
- 1996. In vitro differentiation potential of the periosteal cells from a membrane bone, the quadratojugal of the embryonic chick. Dev Biol 180: 701–712. , .
- 1994. Relationship of Donersite to chondrogenic potential of periosteum in vitro. J Orthop Res 12: 515–525. , , , , .
- 1997. Direct action of nitric oxide on osteoblastic differentiation. FEBS Lett 410: 238–242. , , , , , .
- 1994. Localization of the mRNA for bone matrix proteins during fracture healing as determined by in situ hybridization. J Bone Miner Res 9: 1551–1557. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Bone substitute with osteoinductive biomaterials—current and future clinical application. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 23: 413–417. , .
- 1997. Fgfr2 and osteopontin domains in the developing skull vault are mutually exclusive and can be altered by locally applied FGF2. Development 124: 3375–3384. , , , , , .
- 1995. Enhanced expression of type I receptors for bone morphogenetic proteins during bone formation. J Bone Miner Res 10: 1651–1659. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Bone morphogenetic protein 2 stimulates osteogenesis but does not affect chondrogenesis in osteochondrogenic differentiation of periosteum-derived cells. J Bone Miner Res 9: 1195–1204. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Regulation of proliferation and osteochondrogenic differentiation of periosteum-derived cells by transforming growth factor-α and basic fibroblast growth factor. J Bone Joint Surg 77: 543–554. , , , , , .
- 1997. Periosteum; Its relation to pediatric fractures. J Pediatr Orthop B 6: 84–90. .
- 1988. Effect of diffusion chamber pore size on differentiation and proliferation of periosteal cells. Clin Orthop 236: 258–264. , .
- 1999. Collagen integrin receptors regulate early osteoblast differentiation induced by BMP-2. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1075–1083. , , , , .
- 1996. Initiation of alveolar ridge augmentation in the rat mandible by subperiosteal implantation of octacalcium phosphate. Arch Oral Biol 41: 1029–1038. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Establishment of human osteoblastic cells derived from periosteum in culture. In Vitro Cell Dev 25: 37–43. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Osteopontin involvement in integrin-mediated cell signaling and regulation of expression of alkaline phosphatase during early differentiation of UMR cells. FEBS Lett 420: 112–116. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Patterns of expression of murine Vgr-1 and BMP-2a RNA suggest that transforming growth factor-α-like genes coordinately regulate aspects of embryonic development. Genes Dev 3: 1657–1668. , , .
- 1998. Regulation of tenascin-c expression in bone cells by transforming growth factor-α. Bone 22: 301–307. , , , , .
- 1991. Specific hybridization probes for mouse type I, II, III and IX collagen mRNAs. Biochim Biophys Acta 1089: 241–243. , , , .
- 2000. Bone sialoprotein (BSP) is a crucial factor for the expression of osteoblastic phenotypes of bone marrow cells cultured on type I collagen matrix. Calcif Tissue Int 66: 388–396. , , , , .
- 1997. Interaction between integrin receptors and fibronectin are required for calvarial osteoblast differentiation in vitro. J Cell Sci 110: 2187–2196. , , .
- 1990a. Culture-expanded periosteal-derived cells exhibit osteochondrogenic potential in porous calcium phosphate ceramics in vivo. Clin Orthop 276: 291–298. , , .
- 1990b. Bone and cartilage formation in diffusion chambers by subcultured cells derived from the periosteum. Bone 11: 181–188. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Culture-expanded human periosteal-derived cells exhibit osteochondral potential in vivo. J Orthop Res 9: 465–476. , , .
- 1994. Transient and localized expression of bone morphogenetic protein 4 messenger RNA during fracture healing. J Bone Miner Res 9: 651–659. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Effect of a continuously applied compressive pressure on mouse osteoblast-like cells (MC3T3-E1) in vitro. J Cell Physiol 142: 177–185. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Morphology of bone development and bone remodeling in embryonic chick limbs. Bone 7: 459–472. , , .
- 1995. Subperiosteal implantation of octacalcium phosphate (OCP) stimulates both chondrogenesis and osteogenesis in the tibia, but only osteogenesis in the parietal bone of a rat. Anat Rec 242: 40–46. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Chondrocytes synthesize type I collagen and accumulate the protein in the matrix during development of rat tibial articular cartilage. Anat Embryol 194: 247–252. , , , , , .
- 1999. Implanted octacalcium phophate (OCP) stimulates osteogenesis by osteoblastic cells or committed osteoprogenitors in rat calvarial periosteum. Anat Rec 256: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of insulin- like growth factor-1 (IGF-I) and IGF-II messenger ribonucleic acid in growing rat bone. Endocrinology 132: 1158–1167. , , , , .
- 1990. Ultrastructure of the periosteum from membrane bone. J Anat 171: 233–239. , , .
- 1996. Mechanisms regulating osteoblast proliferation and differentiation. In: BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA, editors. Principles of bone biology. San Diego: Academic Press. p 69–86. , , , , , .
- 1999. Extracellular matrix-associated bone morphogenetic proteins are essential for differentiation of murine osteoblastic cells in vitro. Endocrinology 140: 2125–2133. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Bone formation on synthetic precursors of hydroxyapatite. Tohoku J Exp Med 164: 37–50. , , , , .
- 1993. Maclura pomifera agglutinin-binding glycoconjugates on converted apatite from synthetic octacalcium phosphate implanted into subperiosteal region of mouse calvaria. Bone Mineral 20: 151–166. , , , , .
- 1996. Differentiation and cell surface expression of transforming growth factor-α receptors are regulated by interaction with matrix collagen in murine osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 271: 3938–3944. , , .
- 1997. Differentiation and transforming growth factor-α receptor down-regulation by collagen-β2α1 integrin interaction is mediated by focal adhesion kinase and its downstream signals in murine osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 272: 29309–29316. , , , , , .
- 1993. Morphological study of recombinant human transforming growth factor α1-induced intramembranous ossification in neonatal rat parietal bone. Bone 14: 117–123. , , , , , .
- 1992. The periosteum and bone growth. In: HallBK, editor. Bone, vol 6. Boca Raton: CRC. p 21–52. .
- 1986. An ultrastructural study of osteogenesis in chick periosteum in vitro. Bone 7: 295–302. , , , .
- 1974. Electron microscopy of aging skeletal cells. III. The periosteum. Lab Invest 31: 609–632. .
- 1982. Cellular kinetics of the bone remodeling sequence in the rat. Anat Rec 202: 445–451. , , .
- 1994. Localization of osteogenic protein-1 (bone morphogenetic protein-7) during human embryonic development: high affinity binding to basement membranes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 198: 693–700. , , , , , .
- 1990. Different pattern of alkaline phophatase, osteopontin, and osteocalcin expression in developing rat bone visualized by in situ hybridization. J Bone Miner Res 5: 831–842. , , .
- 1989. Normal and heterotopic periosteum. Clin Orthop 241: 265–277. .
- 1991. Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 stimulates osteoblastic maturation and inhibits myogenic differentiation in vitro. J Cell Biol 113: 681–687. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Temporal and spatial gene expression of major bone extra cellular matrix molecules during embryonic mandibular osteogenesis in rats. Histochem J 33: 25–35. , , , , .