Human reserve pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells are present in the connective tissues of skeletal muscle and dermis derived from fetal, adult, and geriatric donors
Version of Record online: 9 JUL 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 264, Issue 1, pages 51–62, 1 September 2001
How to Cite
Young, H. E., Steele, T. A., Bray, R. A., Hudson, J., Floyd, J. A., Hawkins, K., Thomas, K., Austin, T., Edwards, C., Cuzzourt, J., Duenzl, M., Lucas, P. A. and Black, A. C. (2001), Human reserve pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells are present in the connective tissues of skeletal muscle and dermis derived from fetal, adult, and geriatric donors. Anat. Rec., 264: 51–62. doi: 10.1002/ar.1128
- Issue online: 9 JUL 2001
- Version of Record online: 9 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2000
- Rubye Ryle Smith Charitable Trust
- MEDCEN Community Health Foundation
- MorphoGen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- 1999. Bone marrow origin of endothelial progenitor cells responsible for postnatal vasculogenesis in physiological and pathological neovascularization. Circ Res 85: 221–228. , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Immunochemical analysis of myosin heavy chain during avian myogenesis in vivo and in vitro. J Cell Biol 95: 763–770. , , .
- 2000. Developmentally regulated expression of thy-1 structures of the mouse sensory-motor system. J Comp Neurol 421: 215–233. , .
- 1999. The monoclonal antibody SH-2, raised against human mesenchymal stem cells, recognizes an epitope on endoglin (CD105). Biochem Biophys Res Commun 265: 134–139. , , , , .
- 1999. Turning brain into blood: a hematopoietic fate adopted by adult neural stem cells in vivo. Science 283: 534–537. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular biological ontogenesis of the thymic reticulo-epithelial cell network during the organization of the cellular microenvironment. In Vivo 13: 267–294. , , , .
- 2000. In vitro cultivation of human islets from expanded ductal tissue. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 7999–8004. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Thy-1 differentiation protein and monocyte-derived cells during regeneration and aging of the human placenta. Am J Reprod Immunol 42: 135–152. , , , , .
- 1999. Transplantation of transduced nonhuman primate CD34+ cells using a gibbon ape leukemia virus vector: restricted expression of the gibbon ape leukemia virus receptor to a subset of CD34+ cells. Gene Ther 6: 48–56. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Collagen heterogeneity in human cartilage: identification of several new collagen chains. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 87: 1124–1131. , .
- 1999. Phenotypical and functional properties of human bone marrow mesenchymal progenitor cells. J Cell Physiol 181: 67–73. , .
- 1993. Regulation of human B-cell precursor adhesion to bone marrow stromal cells by cytokines that exert opposing effects on the expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1). Blood 81: 2272–2282. , , , .
- 1997. Hematopoietic cells differentiate into microglia and macroglia in the brains of adult mice. PNAS 94: 4080–4085. , .
- 1997. Mixed cultures of avian blastoderm cells and the quail mesoderm cell line QCE-6 provide evidence for the pluripotentiality of early mesoderm. Dev Biol 191: 167–181. , .
- 1997. Wnt-11 is expressed in early avian mesoderm and required for the differentiation of the quail mesoderm cell line QCE-6. Development 124: 525–536. , , .
- 2000. Mammalian neural stem cells. Science 287: 1433–1438. .
- 2000. Isolation and characterization of human CD34(−)Lin(−) and CD34(+)Lin(−) hematopoietic stem cells using cell surface markers AC133 and CD7. Blood 95: 2813–2820. , , , , , .
- 1991. Ataxia-telangiectasia (group A): localization of ATA gene to chromosome 11q22–23 and pathogenetic implications. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 19: 42–46. .
- 1999. Stromal mesenchymal progenitor cells. Leuk Lymphoma 32: 211–221. , , .
- 2000. Liver regeneration in rats with retrorsine-induced hepatocellular injury proceeds through a novel cellular response. Am J Pathol 156: 607–619. , , , .
- 1990. Bone acidic glycoprotein-75 is a major synthetic product of osteoblastic cells and localized as 75- or 50-kDa forms in mineralized phases of bone and growth plate and in serum. J Biol Chem 265: 14956–14963. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Muscle regeneration: molecular aspects and therapeutic implications. Curr Opin Neurol 12: 535–543. .
- 1999. Dystrophin expression in the mdx mouse restored by stem cell transplantation. Science 401: 390–394. , , , , , , , .
- 1963. Human diploid cell strains as hosts for viruses. Perspect Virol 3: 213–237. .
- 1965. The limited in vitro lifetime of human diploid cell strains. Exp Cell Res 37: 614–636. .
- 1997. Engraftment and development of human CD34(+)-enriched cells from umbilical cord blood in NOD/LtSz-scid/scid mice. Blood 90: 85–96. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Characterization of the antibody response in mice with type II collagen-induced arthritis, using monoclonal anti-type II collagen antibodies. Arthritis Rheum 29: 400–410. , , , , .
- 1972. In: Animal tissue techniques. San Francisco: WH Freeman and Co. p 307–308. .
- 1998. A neutralizing anti-TGF-beta1 antibody promotes proliferation of CD34+Thy-1+ peripheral blood progenitors and increases the number of transduced progenitors. Exp Haematol 26: 374–381. , , , , .
- 1999. Hematopoietic potential of stem cells isolated from murine skeletal muscle. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 14482–14486. , , .
- 1998. In vitro chondrogenesis of bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal progenitor cells. Exp Cell Res 238: 265–272. , , , , .
- 2000. Transplantation of ex vivo expanded endothelial progenitor cells for therapeutic neovascularization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 3422–3427. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Temporal studies on the tissue compartmentalization of bone sialoprotein (BSP), osteopontin (OPN), and SPARC protein during bone formation in vitro. J Cell Physiol 152: 467–477. , , .
- 1997. Leucocyte typing VI, white cell differentiation antigens. Hamden, CT: Garland Publishing. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Marrow stromal cells migrate throughout forebrain and cerebellum and they differentiate into astrocytes after injection into neonatal mouse brains. PNAS 96: 10711–10716. , , .
- 1994. Immunohistochemical distribution of type I, II and III collagens in the rabbit supraspinatus tendon insertion. J Anat 185: 279–284. , , , , .
- 1995. Differential requirement for protein tyrosine kinase Fyn in the functional activation of antigen-specific T lymphocyte clones through the TCR or Thy-1. J Immunol 154: 4363–4370. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of CD34 in endothelial cells, hematopoietic progenitors and nervous cells in fetal and adult mouse tissues. Eur J Immunol 25: 1508–1516. , , .
- 1993. Mesenchymal stem cells from granulation tissue. J Cell Biochem 17E: 122. , , , , .
- 1995. A population of cells resident within embryonic and newborn rat skeletal muscle is capable of differentiating into multiple mesodermal phenotypes. Wound Rep Reg 3: 457–468. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Neuronal localization of CD38 antigen in the human brain. Brain Res 697: 235–240. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999a. Thrombopoietin, flt3, and kit ligands together suppress apoptosis of human mobilized CD34+ cells and recruit primitive CD34+Thy-1+ cells into rapid division. Exp Haematol 27: 1019–1028. , , , , , .
- 1999b. CD109 is expressed on a subpopulation of CD34+ cells enriched in hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells. Exp Haematol 27: 1282–1294. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Ex vivo generation of CD34(+) cells from CD34(−) hematopoietic cells. Blood 94: 4053–4059. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of chronic stimulation with different impulse patterns on the expression of myosin isoforms in rat myotube cultures. Differentiation 55: 203–211. , .
- 1998. Sarcomatous dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans metastasized to the lung: preservation of CD34 expression in tumor cells. Pathol Int 48: 989–993. , , .
- 1993. Isolation and differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells from rabbit muscle. Surg Forum XLIV: 587–589. , , , , .
- 1999. Bone marrow as a potential source of hepatic oval cells. Science 284: 1168–1170. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science 148: 143–147. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Marrow stromal cells as stem cells for nonhematopoietic tissues. Science 276: 71–74. .
- 2000. Reversal of insulin-dependent diabetes using islets generated in vitro from pancreatic stem cells. Nat Med 6: 278–282. , , , , , .
- 1998. CD34+, kit+, rhodamine 123 (low) phenotype identifies a marrow cell population highly enriched for human hematopoietic stem cells. Leukemia 12: 942–950. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Differentiation factors induce expression of muscle, fat, cartilage, and bone in a clone of mouse pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells. Am Surg 61: 231–236. , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of class II MHC expression. Crit Rev Immunol 16: 311–330. , , .
- 1992. A fibroblast-associated antigen: characterization in fibroblasts and immunoreactivity in smooth muscle differentiated stromal cells. J Histochem Cytochem 40: 475–486. , , , .
- 1999. Detection of human soluble Thy-1 in serum by ELISA. Fibroblasts and activated endothelial cells are a possible source of soluble Thy-1 in serum. Cell Tissue Res 298: 307–315. , , , .
- 1987. Discrimination of viable and non-viable cells using propidium iodide in two color immunofluorescence. Cytometry 8: 413–420. , , .
- 1984. Heterogeneity of type I skeletal muscle fibers revealed by monoclonal antibody to slow myosin. Muscle Nerve 7: 380–387. , , .
- 2000. Therapeutic relevance of CD34 cell dose in blood cell transplantation for cancer therapy. J Clin Oncol 18: 1360–1367. , , , .
- 1999. Immunophenotypic characterization of human bone marrow endosteal cells. Tissue Antigens 53: 559–568. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning of a cDNA encoding CD34, a sialomucin of human hematopoietic stem cells. J Immunol 148: 267–271. , , , .
- 1986. A monoclonal antibody against alpha-smooth muscle actin: a new probe for smooth muscle differentiation. J Cell Biol 103: 2787–2796. , , , , , .
- 2000. Stem cells in epithelial tissues. Science 287: 1431–1433. .
- 1997. Circulating activated endothelial cells in sickle cell anemia. N Engl J Med 1997 337: 1584–1590. , , , , , .
- 2000. The CD34+90+ cell does not predict early engraftment of autologous blood stem cells as well as the total CD34+ cell dose. Bone Marrow Transplant 25: 435–440. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Hematopoiesis and angiogenesis. Int J Haematol 71: 99–107. , , .
- 1993. CD34 antigen: molecular features and potential clinical applications. Stem Cells 11: 50–57. , , .
- 2000. Expression of prolifin, an actin-binding protein, in rat experimental glomerulonephritis and its upregulation by basic fibroblast growth factor in cultured rat mesangial cells. J Am Soc Nephrol 11: 423–433. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Ataxia telangiectasia. Arch Neurol 35: 553–554. .
- 1995. The “common stem cell” hypothesis reevaluated: human fetal bone marrow contains separate populations of hematopoietic and stromal progenitors. Blood 85: 2422–2435. , , , , , , .
- 1996. A population of cells isolated from rat heart capable of differentiating into several mesodermal phenotypes. J Surg Res 62: 233–242. , , , , .
- 2000. CD164—a novel sialomucin on CD34+ cells. Leuk Lymphoma 37: 1–25. , .
- 1988. Fast muscle fibers are preferentially affected in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Cell 52: 503–513. , , , .
- 1991. Cyclic amplification and selection of targets (CASTing) for the myogenin consensus binding site. Mol Cell Biol 11: 4104–4110. , , .
- 1997. Interfollicular fibroblasts in the human thyroid gland: recognition of a CD34 positive stromal cell network communicated by gap junctions and terminated by autonomic nerve endings. J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 29: 461–476. , .
- 1991. Monoclonal antibodies against bovine type IX collagen (LMW fragment): production, characterization, and use for immunohistochemical localization studies. J Histochem Cytochem 39: 265–271. , , , , .
- 1998. The chondrogenic potential of human bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal progenitor cells. J Bone Joint Surg Am 80: 1745–1757. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Reconstruction of a three-dimensional structure using cartilage regenerated from the perichondrium of rabbits. Plast Reconstr Surg 103: 1120–1123. , , , .
- 1991. Cryopreservation of embryonic chick myogenic lineage-committed stem cells. J Tiss Cult Meth 13: 275–284. , , , .
- 1992a. Isolation of embryonic chick myosatellite and pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells. J Tiss Cult Meth 14: 85–92. , , , , .
- 1992b. Enzyme-linked immuno-culture assay. J Tiss Cult Meth 14: 31–36. , , , , .
- 1993. Pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells reside within avian connective tissue matrices. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 29A: 723–736. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Mesenchymal stem cells reside within the connective tissues of many organs. Dev Dyn 202: 137–144. , , , , , , .
- 1998a. Muscle morphogenetic protein induces myogenic gene expression in Swiss-3T3 cells. Wound Repair Regen 6: 530–541. , , , , .
- 1998b. Bioactive factors affect proliferation and phenotypic expression in pluripotent and progenitor mesenchymal stem cells. Wound Repair Regen 6: 65–75. , , , , , .
- 1999. Human pluripotent and progenitor cells display cell surface cluster differentiation markers CD10, CD13, CD56, and MHC Class-I. Proc. Soc Exp Biol Med 221: 63–71. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Stem cells and tissue engineering. In: HuardJ, FuFH, editors. Gene therapy in orthopaedic and sports medicine. New York: Springer-Verlag Inc. p 143–173. .