The spatiotemporal relationship among schwann cells, axons and postsynaptic acetylcholine receptor regions during muscle reinnervation in aged rats
Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 264, Issue 2, pages 183–202, 1 October 2001
How to Cite
Kawabuchi, M., Zhou, C. J., Wang, S., Nakamura, K., Liu, W. T. and Hirata, K. (2001), The spatiotemporal relationship among schwann cells, axons and postsynaptic acetylcholine receptor regions during muscle reinnervation in aged rats. Anat. Rec., 264: 183–202. doi: 10.1002/ar.1159
- Issue online: 28 AUG 2001
- Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 13 FEB 2001
- Ministry of Education, Culture and Science of Japan. Grant Numbers: 12000210, 12670018
- 1994. Motor axon terminal regeneration as studied by protein gene product 9.5 immunohistochemistry in the rat. Arch Histol Cytol 57: 317–330. , , , .
- 1990. Quantitative and qualitative morphological properties of the soleus motor nerve and the L5 ventral root in young and old rats. J Neurol Sci 96: 269–282. , .
- 1961. Nonselectivity in establishment of neuromuscular connections following nerve regeneration in the rat. Exp Neurol 4: 262–275. , .
- 1983. Denervation increases the degradation rate of aceytylchoine receptors at end-plates in vivo and in vitro. J Physiol 336: 159–177. , .
- 1979. Slowing of the rate of axonal regeneration during growth and maturation. Exp Neurol 63: 108–119. , .
- 1989. Morphological and physiological properties of neurons after long-term axonal regeneration: observations on chronic and delayed sequelae of peripheral nerve injury. J Neurol Sci 91: 259–292. , , , .
- 1982. Accelerated degradation of junctional acetylcholine receptor-bungarotoxin complexes in denervated rat diaphragm. Brain Res 233: 133–142. , , , .
- 1987. A reassessment of the accuracy of reinnervation by motoneurons following crushing or freezing of the sciatic or lumbar spinal nerves of rats. Brain 110: 695–705. , .
- 1980. Nodal and terminal sprouting from motor nerves in fast and slow muscles of the mouse. J Physiol 306: 493–510. , , .
- 1980. Alteration in connections between muscle and anterior horn motoneurons after peripheral nerve repair. Science 208: 603–605. , .
- 1998. The formation of neuromuscular synapses. Genes Dev 12: 133–148. .
- 1979. Morphology and physiology of skeletal muscle in aging rodents. Muscle Nerve 2: 202–212. , , .
- 1983. Ultrastructural evidence of continued reorganization at the aging (11–26 months) rat soleus neuromuscular junction. Anat Rec 207: 399–415. .
- 1981. Ultrastructural evidence indicating reorganization at the neuromuscular junction in the normal rat soleus muscle. Anat Rec 200: 41–59. , .
- 1987. Aging rat neuromuscular junctions: a morphometric study of cholinesterase-stained whole mounts and ultrastructure. Muscle Nerve 10: 200–213. , .
- 1995. Neuregulins and their receptors. Curr Opin Neurobiol 5: 606–612. , .
- 1990. The dependence of motoneurons on their target muscle during postnatal development of the mouse. J Neurosci 10: 1643–1653. , .
- 1967. Degeneration and regeneration of the subneural apparatus. In: BernatC, editor : Functional structure of the postsynaptic membrane in the myoneural junction. Budapest: Publishing House of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. p. 62–74. .
- 1999. Infraterminal spreading and extrajunctional expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in denervated skeletal muscle. Exp Brain Res 125: 426–434. , , , , .
- 1961. The influence of age on the course of reinnervation of muscle. Gerontologia 5: 88–109. , .
- 1971. Perikaryal synthetic function following reversible and irreversible peripheral axon injuries as shown by radioautography. J Comp Neurol 142: 465–480. , , , .
- 1982. Ultrastructural studies of young and old mouse neuromuscular junctions. J Neurocytol 11: 641–656. , .
- 1979. Control of acetylcholine receptors in skeletal muscle. Physiol Rev 59: 165–227. .
- 1990. Peripheral nerve regeneration. Ann Rev Neurosci 13: 43–60. , .
- 1975. Cholinergic receptors at denervated mammalian motor endplates. Acta Physiol Scand 95: 66–76. , , .
- 1976. Aging of the neuromuscular apparatus. Gerontologia 22: 244–279. , , .
- 1983. Muscle reinnervation-II. Sprouting, synaptic formation and repression. Neuroscience 3: 403–416. , , , , .
- 2000. Maturation and maintenance of the neuromuscular synapse: genetic evidence for roles of the dystrophin-glycoprotein complex. Neuron 25: 279–293. , , , , , .
- 1981. Specificity and plasticity of neuromuscular connections: long term regulation of motoneuron function. Prog Neurobiol 17: 203–282. , .
- 1956. Regeneration in the mammalian peripheral nervous system. Physiol Rev 36: 441–478. .
- 1970. Nervous and hormonal mechanisms in the aging process. Exp Geront 5: 357–366. .
- 1966. Motor unit in old age. Nature 209: 921–922. , .
- 1968. Changes in the neuromuscular system during old age. Exp Geront 3: 141–146. , , .
- 1971. Age changes in cross striated muscle of the rat. J Physiol 219: 331–343. , , .
- 1993. Synaptic structure and development: the neuromuscular junction. Cell 72/Neuron 10(Suppl): 99–121. , .
- 1990. Neuronal dropout is greater in hindlimb motor nuclei than in forelimb motor nuclei in aged rats. Neurosci Lett 113: 267–269. , .
- 1989. Function of neurotrophic factors in the adult and aging brain and their possible use in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. Neurobiol Aging 10: 515–533. , , .
- 1985. Remodeling of internodes in regenerated rat sciatic nerve. Brain Res 358: 163–170. , , , .
- 1986. Remodeling of internodes in regenerated rat sciatic nerve:electron microscopic observations. J Neurocytol 15: 681–692. , , .
- 1997. Postnatal development of Schwann cells at neuromuscular junctions, with special reference to synapse elimination. J Neurocytol 26: 799–809. , , , .
- 1986. Effect of age and muscle type on regeneration of neuromuscular synapses in mice. Brain Res 372: 163–166. , , .
- 1983. Schwann cell basal lamina and nerve regeneration. Brain Res 288: 61–75. , , , , .
- 1987. Effects of aging on the total number of muscle fibers and motor neurons of the tibialis anterior and soleus muscles in the rat. Brain Res 435: 355–358. , , .
- 1988. Effects of innervation on distribution of acetylcholine receptors in regenerating skeletal muscles of adult chickens. Dev Biol 125: 115–126. , , , , .
- 1990a. Differential effects of age on neuromuscular transmission in partially denervated mouse muscle. J Neurosci 10: 1525–1529. , .
- 1990b. Age difference in morphology of reinnervation of partially denervated mouse muscle. J Neurosci 10: 1530–1540. , .
- 1991. Retrograde response to axotomy of motoneurons in the thoracic spinal cord of the aging cat. Neurobiol Aging 12: 151–160. , , .
- 1995. Increase in α-CGRP and GAP-43 in aged motor neurons: a study of peptides, growth factors, and ChATmRNA in the lumbar spinal cord of senescent rats with symptoms of hindlimb incapacities. J Comp Neurol 359: 69–89. , , , , , .
- 1995. Morphological features of collateral innervation and supernumerary innervation in the skeletal muscles of presenile rats. Ann Anat 177: 251–265. , , , .
- 1998. The effect of aging on the morphological nerve changes during muscle reinnervation after nerve crush. Restor Neurol Neurosci 12: 1–6. , , , . .
- 1980. Slowing with age of the rate of slow axonal flow in bifurcating axons of rat dorsal root ganglion cells. Brain Res 183: 477–480. .
- 1991. Age-related changes in attachment and proliferation of mouse Schwann cells in vitro. Dev Brain Res 62: 7–16. , .
- 1992. Age-related differences in proliferative responses of Schwann cells during Wallerian degeneration. Brain Res 573: 267–275. , .
- 1985. The distribution of acetylcholine receptors in the normal and denervated neuromuscular junction of the frog. J Neurocytol 14: 765–780. , .
- 1990. Target dependence of motoneuronal survival: the current status. Neurosci Res 9: 155–172. .
- 1994. Polyclonal antibodies against NCAM and tenascin delay endplate reinnervation. J Neurocytol 3: 591–604. , , , .
- 1986. Effects of age on enzyme-histochemical fiber spectra and contractile properties of fast- and slow-twitch skeletal muscles in the rat. J Neurol Sci 76: 69–89. , .
- 1976. Precision of reinnervation of original postsynaptic sites in frog muscle after a nerve crush. J Neurocytol 5: 691–718. , , .
- 1998. Schwann cells proliferate at rat neuromuscular junctions during development and regeneration. J Neurosci 15: 9376–9385. , .
- 1971. The regeneration of neuromuscular junctions during spontaneous re-innervation of the rat diaphragm. Z Zellforsch 121: 593–603. .
- 1996. Glial growth factor 2, a soluble neuregulin, directly increases Schwann cell motility and indirectly promotes neurite outgrowth. J Neurosci 16: 4673–4683. , , .
- 1993. Glial growth factors are alternatively spliced erbB2 ligands expressed in the nervous system. Nature 362: 312–318. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression and functional roles of neural cell surface molecules and extracellular matrix components during development and regeneration of peripheral nerves. J Neurocytol 23: 1–28. .
- 1990. Enhanced expression of the extracellular matrix molecule J1/tenascin in the regenerating adult mouse sciatic nerve. J Neurocytol 19: 601–616. , , .
- 1979. Effect of age on axoplasmic transport of cholinesterase in rat sciatic nerves. Mech Ageing Develop 10: 241–248. , .
- 1989. Retardation in the slow axonal transport of cytoskeletal elements during maturation and aging. Neurobiol Aging 10: 359–365. , , .
- 1960. Numbers of fibers in regeneration after crushing the motor spinal nerve roots of young, mature and aged cats. Amer J Anat 107: 193–200. , , .
- 1997. Immunohistochemical study of skin reinnervation by regenerative axons. J Comp Neurol 380: 164–174. , , , .
- 1985. Motor nerve terminal outgrowth and acetylcholine receptors: inhibition of terminal outgrowth by α-bungarotoxin and anti-acetylcholine receptor antibody. J Neurosci 5: 751–758. , .
- 1980. Effects of aging on nerve sprouting and regeneration. Exp Neurol 70: 65–82. , , .
- 1992. Terminal Schwann cells elaborate extensive processes following degeneration of the motor endplate. J Neurocytol 21: 50–66. , .
- 1993. Reciprocal Schwann cell-axon interactions. Curr Biol 3: 683–693. , .
- 1989. In vivo visualization of pre- and postsynaptic changes during synapse elimination in reinnervated mouse muscle. J Neurosci 9: 1781–1805. , .
- 1989. Extracellular matrix molecules that influence neural development. Ann Rev Neurosci 12: 491–516. .
- 1996. Axon-Schwann cell interactions during peripheral nerve degeneration and regeneration. In: JessenKR, RichardsonWD, editors. Glia cell development. Oxford: Bios Scientific Publications. p 165–196. , .
- 1979. Reduced capabilities of synaptic transmission in aged rats. Exp Neurol 66: 650–666. .
- 1995a. Schwann cell processes guide regeneration of peripheral axons. Neuron 14: 125–132. , .
- 1995b. Nerve sprouting in muscle is induced and guided by processes extended by Schwann cells. Neuron 14: 133–141. , .
- 1991. Myelinated fiber regeneration after crush injury is retarded in sciatic nerves of aging mice. J Comp Neurol 308: 180–187. , .
- 1989. Focal nerve injury: guidance factors during axonal regeneration. Muscle Nerve 12: 796–802. .
- 1997. Nerve terminal withdrawal from rat neuromuscular junctions induced by neuregulin and Schwann cells. J Neurosci 17: 6243–6255. , .
- 1990. Effects of advancing age on the central response of rat facial neurons to axotomy: light microscopic morphometry. Anat Rec 228: 211–219. .
- 1992. Effects of advancing age on peripheral nerve regeneration. J Comp Neurol 323: 219–237. .
- 1995. The effect of aging on efferent nerve fibers regeneration in mice. Brain Res 696: 76–82. , .
- 1997. Comparison of immunohistochemical and functional reinnervation of skin and muscle after peripheral nerve injury. Exp Neurol 146: 187–198. , .
- 2000. Influence of aging on peripheral nerve function and regeneration. J Peripher Nerv Syst 5: 191–208. , , , .
- 1989. The neuron-specific protein PGP9.5 is an ubiquitin carboxyl-terminal hydrolase. Science 246: 670–673. , , , , , .
- 1986. The clustering of acetylcholine receptors and formation of neuromuscular junctions in regenerating mammalian muscle grafts. Am J Anat 176: 191–205. .
- 1992. Denervation of the motor endplate results in the rapid expression by terminal Schwann cells of the growth-associated protein GAP-43. J Neurosci 12: 3999–4010. , , , , , .