Lymphocytes in the bronchoalveolar space reenter the lung tissue by means of the alveolar epithelium, migrate to regional lymph nodes, and subsequently rejoin the systemic immune system
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 264, Issue 3, pages 229–236, 1 November 2001
How to Cite
Lehmann, C., Wilkening, A., Leiber, D., Markus, A., Krug, N., Pabst, R. and Tschernig, T. (2001), Lymphocytes in the bronchoalveolar space reenter the lung tissue by means of the alveolar epithelium, migrate to regional lymph nodes, and subsequently rejoin the systemic immune system. Anat. Rec., 264: 229–236. doi: 10.1002/ar.1163
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2001
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2000
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Grant Numbers: Pa240/8-1, Ts56/1-1
- 1990. Lymphocyte recruitment to the lung. Am Rev Respir Dis 142: 238–257. , , , , , .
- 1984. The migration of bronchoalveolar macrophages into hilar lymph nodes. Am J Pathol 115: 321–328. , , .
- 1992. Effects of microbial stimulation on the number, size and activity of bronchus-associated lymphoid tissue (BALT) structures in the pig. Int J Exp Pathol 73: 351–357. , , , .
- 1985. The role of macrophages in particle translocation from lungs to lymph nodes. Science 230: 1277–1280. , , , .
- 1987. Migration of neutrophils from lung to tracheobronchial lymph node. J Leukocyte Biol 41: 95–103. , , , , , .
- 1993. Migration of dendritic cells into the draining lymph nodes of the lung after intratracheal instillation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 9: 484–488. , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of immunologic homeostasis in peripheral tissue by dendritic cells: the respiratory tract as a paradigm. J Allergy Clin Immunol 105: 421–429. , .
- 2000. Deficient in vitro and in vivo phagocytosis of apoptotic T cells by resident murine alveolar macrophages. J Immunol 165: 2124–2133. , , , , .
- 1996. Immune cell migration through the arterial wall in the murine lung during a pulmonary inflammatory response. Arch Histol Cytol 59: 87–96. , , .
- 1991. Morphological and immunohistochemical studies of the lungs and bronchus-associated lymphoid tissue in a rat model of chronic pulmonary infection with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Infect Immun 59: 1514–1520. , .
- 1985. Origin and immunological hyporeactivity of canine alveolar lymphocytes. Immunology 55: 531–538. , , .
- 2000. Anatomy of a pulmonary immune response: kinetics in different leukocyte pools. J Exp Anim Sci 40: 189–200. , , , , , .
- 1998. Close anatomical relationship between nerve fibers and MHC class II-expressing dendritic cells in the rat liver and extrahepatic bile duct. Histochem Cell Biol 109: 409–415. , , .
- 1997. Lung lymphocyte elimination by apoptosis in the murine response to intratacheal particulate antigen. J Clin Invest 99: 1082–1091. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The motility of lung lymphocytes in hypersensitivity pneumonitis and sarcoidosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 149: 455–459. , , , , , .
- 1995. Lymphocytes migrate from the bronchoalveolar space to regional bronchial lymph nodes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 151: 495–499. , .
- 1995. Lymphocytes in the lung: an often neglected cell. Anat Embryol (Berl) 192: 293–299. , .
- 1997. Lymphocyte dynamics: caution in interpreting BAL numbers. Thorax 52: 1078–1080. , .
- 2000. Lymphocytes migrate from the blood into the bronchoalveolar lavage and lung parenchyma in the asthma model of the Brown Norway rat. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161: 558–566. , , , .
- 1988. Regulation of immune factors by human surfactant. Ann Allergy 61: 459–462. , , , , .
- 1987. Patterns of lymphatic drainage to individual thoracic and cervical lymph nodes in the rat. Lab Anim 21: 31–34. , .
- 2000. House dust mite induced Th-2 shift and airway hyper-responsiveness in SCID mice reconstituted with hu-PBMC from non allergic donors. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161: A474. , .
- 2000. Bronchus-associated lymphoid tissue (BALT) is not present in the normal adult lung but in different diseases. Pathobiology 68: 1–8. , .
- 1997. The lung as a source and a target organ for T- and B-lymphocytes. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 17: 414–421. , , , , , .
- 1999. Increased expression of activation markers and adhesion molecules on lung T-cells compared with blood in the normal rat. Eur J Respir 13: 66–70. , , , .
- 1993. IFN-gamma influences the migration of thoracic duct B and T lymphocyte subsets in vivo. J Immunol 150: 3843–3852. , , , , .
- 1989. Immunohistological localization and characterization of FITC-labelled lymphocytes. A rapid and inexpensive method for studying migration. J Immunol Methods 120: 29–36. , , .