Developmental regulation of connexin 43 expression in fetal mouse testicular cells
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 264, Issue 3, pages 237–246, 1 November 2001
How to Cite
Pérez-Armendariz, E. M., Lamoyi, E., Mason, J. I., Cisneros-Armas, D., Luu-The, V. and Bravo Moreno, J. F. (2001), Developmental regulation of connexin 43 expression in fetal mouse testicular cells. Anat. Rec., 264: 237–246. doi: 10.1002/ar.1164
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2001
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2000
- CONACYT. Grant Number: 26789N
- DGAPA-UNAM. Grant Numbers: IN220197, IN231799 (México)
- MRC (UK). Grant Number: G0000066
- 2000. Gap junctions: the “kiss of death” and the “kiss of life”. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 32: 308–315. , , , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of endothelial cell migration, intercellular communication, and vascular tube formation by thromboxane A(2). J Biol Chem 274: 35562–35570 , , , , , , .
- 1999. Modified expression of testicular gap junction connexin43 during normal spermatogenic cycle and in altered spermatogenesis. Cell Tissue Res 298: 113–121. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type I and type VI isoforms in the mouse testis during development. Eur J Biochem 260: 911–917. , , , , , .
- 2000. Early migratory rat neural crest cells express functional gap junctions: evidence that neuronal crest cell survival requires gap junction function. J Neurosci Res 61: 605–615. , , , ,
- 2001. Expression of connexin 43 in Leydig cells from mouse testis is regulated in an age and functional dependent manner during postnatal development. Anat Rec 264: 13–24. , , , , , .
- 1995. Heterotypic gap junction channels (connexin26-connexin32) violate the paradigm of unitary conductance. Pflugers Arch 429: 870–872. , , , .
- 1996. Molecular cloning and functional expression of mouse connexin-30, a gap junction gene highly expressed in adult brain and skin. J Biol Chem 271: 17903–17910. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Ontogeny of 3β hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3-βHSD) isomerase in rat testis as studied by immunocytochemistry. Anat Embryol (Berl) 187: 538–589. , , , .
- 1999. Junctional communication between isolated pairs of canine atrial cells is mediated by homogeneous and heterogeneous gap junction channels. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 10: 990–1004. , , .
- 1994. Developmentally regulated expression of a mouse germ cell nuclear antigen examined from embryonic day 11 to adult in male and female mice. Dev Biol 163: 331–340. , .
- 1994. Interactions between primordial germ cells play a role in their migration in mouse embryos. Development 120: 135–141. , , , .
- 1992. Four novel members of the connexin family of gap junctions proteins. J Biol Chem 267: 2057–2064. , , , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of gap junction genes expressed in F9 embryonic carcinoma cells: molecular cloning of mouse connexin31 and -45 cDNAs. Eur J Cell Biol 57: 51–58. , , .
- 1998. Gap junction-mediated cell-cell communication modulates mouse neural crest migration. J Cell Biol 143: 1725–1734. , , , , , .
- 1999. Defects in the germ line and gonads of mice lacking connexin43. Biol Reprod 60: 1263–1270. , , , .
- 1998. Mediated phosphorylation of the gap junction protein, connexin43, during mitosis. Cell Growth Differ 9: 13–21 , , .
- 1991. Tissue-specific distribution of differentially phosphorylated forms of Cx43. Mol Cell Biol 11: 363–369. , , .
- 1993. Multiple isoforms of 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/Δ54-isomerase in mouse tissues: male-specific isoforms are expressed in the gonads and liver. Endocrinology 133: 39–45. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular cloning and functional expression of the mouse gap junction gene connexin-57 in human HELA cells. J Biol Chem 274: 14716–14723. , , , , .
- 1999. Gap junction intercellular communication in gliomas is inversely related to cell motility. Int J Dev Neurosci 17: 601–611. , , , , .
- 1986. Gap junctions between gonocytes and epithelial cells in the sex cords of the one day old rat. A freeze fracture study. J Submicrosc Cytol 18: 75–84. , .
- 1996. Embryology of mouse gonadal development. Front Endocrinol 20: 22–32. , .
- 1999. Differential expression of gap-junction gene connexin 31 in seminiferous epithelium of rat testes. FEBS Lett 453: 243–248. , , .
- 1984. Hormone-induced intercellular signal transfer dissociates cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase. J Cell Biol 98: 1710–1719. , .
- 1978. Cell to Cell Relationships in the seminiferous epithelium in the mouse embryo. Cell Tissue Res 189: 389–401. , .
- 1999. Molecular determinants of electrical rectification of single channel conductance in gap junctions formed by connexins 26 and 32. J Gen Physiol 114: 339–364. , , , , .
- 1998. Fetal development of Leydig cell activity in the mouse is independent of pituitary gonadotroph function. Endocrinology 139: 1141–1146. , , , , , .
- 1982. Proliferation of Sertoli cells in fetal and postnatal rats: a quantitative autoradiographic study. Anat Rec 203: 485–492.
- 1996. The distribution of Connexin 43 is associated with the germ cell differentiation and with the modulation of the Sertoli, cell junctional barrier in continual (guinea pig and seasonal Breeders (Mink) testes. J Androl 16: 400–409. ,
- 1994. Characterization of gap junctions between pairs of Leydig cells from mouse testis. Am J Physiol 267: C570–C580. , , , , , .
- 1995. Connexin26, 32, and 43 are expressed in virgin, pregnant and lactating mammary glands. Dev Growth Differ 37: 421–431. , , , .
- 1996. Luteinizing and human chorionic gonadotropin hormones increase intercellular communication and gap junctions in cultured mouse Leydig cells. Endocrine 4: 1–10. , , , , .
- 1973. Cell contacts in the mouse mammary gland I. Normal gland in postnatal development and the secretory cycle. J Cell Biol 56: 797–818. , , , .
- 2000. Unique and shared functions of different connexins in mice. Curr Biol 10: 1083–1091. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cardiac malformation in neonatal mice lacking connexin43. Science 267: 1831–1834. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Testicular dysgenesis does not affect expression of anti-mullerian hormone by Sertoli cells in premeiotic seminiferous tubules. Am J Pathol 148: 1689–1698. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Differentiation of murine premigratory primordial germ cells in culture. Biol Reprod 61: 1146–1151. , , .
- 1992. Cell-, age- and stage dependent distribution of connexin43 gap junctions in testes. J Cell Sci 103: 81–96. , , , .
- 2000. Connexin gene expression in seminiferous tubules of the Sprague-Dawley rat. Biol Reprod 62: 748–754. .
- 2000. Bcl-x and Bax regulate mouse primordial germ cell survival and apoptosis during embryogenesis. Mol Endocrinol 14: 1038–1052. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Structure and development. In: PayneAH, HardyMP, RussellLD, editors. The Leydig cell. p 43–96. .
- 1989. Hepatocyte gap junctions are permeable to the second messenger, inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate, and to calcium ions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 2708–2712. , , , .
- 1999. Expression of connexin 43 in human testis. Histochem Cell Biol 112: 215–220. , , .
- 1996. Regulated assembly of connexin33 and connexin43 into rat Sertoli gap junctions. Biol Reprod 54: 1300–1310. , , , , , .
- 1974. Proceedings: cyclic AMP: cell-to-cell movement and inotropic effect in ventricular muscle, studied by a cut-end method. J Physiol (Lond) 242: 95P–96P. , .
- 1991. Proliferative activity of gonocytes, Sertoli cells and interstitial cells during testicular development in mice. J Reprod Fertil 93: 233–243. , , , , .
- 1999. Biological functions of connexin genes revealed by human genetic defects, dominant negative approaches and targeted deletions in the mouse. Novartis Found Symp 219: 76–88. , , , , , .
- 2000. Cell population dynamics (apoptosis, mitosis, and cell-cell communication) during disruption of homeostasis. Exp Cell Res 254: 257–268. , , .
- 1988. An electron microscopic study of the development of the exocrine and endocrine pancreas with special reference to intercellular junctions. Arch Histol Cytol 51: 315–325. , .
- 1997. A mitosis-specific phosphorylation of the gap junction protein connexin43 in human vascular cells: biochemical characterization and localization. J Cell Biol 137: 203–210. , , , .
- 1989. Sequence and tissue distribution of a second protein of hepatic gap junctions, Cx26 as deduced from its cDNA. J Cell Biol 109: 3391–3401. , .