Age- and site-specific decline in insulin-like growth factor-I receptor expression is correlated with differential growth plate activity in the mouse hindlimb
Article first published online: 28 FEB 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 290, Issue 4, pages 375–381, April 2007
How to Cite
Serrat, M. A., Lovejoy, C. O. and King, D. (2007), Age- and site-specific decline in insulin-like growth factor-I receptor expression is correlated with differential growth plate activity in the mouse hindlimb. Anat Rec, 290: 375–381. doi: 10.1002/ar.20480
- Issue published online: 26 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 28 FEB 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 2006
- Kent State University Graduate Student Senate
- 1993. Role of insulin-like growth factors in embryonic and postnatal growth. Cell 75: 73–82. , , , .
- 1935. Longitudinal growth of long bones. Arch Surg 31: 568–578. , .
- 1965. A study of some factors controlling growth of transplanted skeletal tissue. In: RichelleLJ,DallemagneMJ, editors. Proceedings of the second European Symposium on Calcified Tissues. Liege: University of Liege. p 177–184. .
- Charles River Laboratories. 2006. Weight chart for the C57BL/6 mouse. Wilmington, Massachusettes: Charles River Laboratories Research Models and Services Catalog.
- 2005. Spatial distribution of growth hormone receptor, insulin-like growth factor-I receptor and apoptotic chondrocytes during growth plate development. J Endocrinol 184: 543–553. , , , , .
- 1925. The age order of epiphyseal union in the long bones of the albino rat. Anat Rec 31: 17. .
- 2004. Primary and secondary cartilages of the neonatal rat: the femoral head and the mandibular condyle. Eur J Oral Sci 112: 162. , , , .
- 1915. The measurement of diaphysial growth in proximal and distal directions. J Anat Physiol 50: 187–188. .
- 2004. The aromatase inhibitor letrozole increases epiphyseal growth plate height and tibial length in peripubertal male mice. J Endocrinol 182: 165–172. , , , , , .
- 1959. Transplantation studies of factors in skeletal organogenesis: I, the subcutaneously implanted immature long-bone of the rat and mouse. Am J Phys Anthropol 17: 201–215. .
- 1998. Sexual dimorphism of the somatotrophic axis. J Endocrinol 157: 373–389. , , , .
- 2000. Epiphyseal plate transplantation between sites of different growth potential. J Pediatr Orthop 20: 289–295. , , , .
- 1974. Influence of host age on the growth of rat cranial base and humerus transplants. J Dent Res 53: 943. .
- 2004. Deficiency of insulin receptor substrate-1 impairs skeletal growth through early closure of epiphyseal cartilage. J Bone Miner Res 19: 214–223. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Quantitation of chondrocyte performance in growth-plate cartilage during longitudinal bone growth. J Bone Joint Surg 69A: 162–173. , , .
- 1989. Physiological mechanisms adopted by chondrocytes in regulating longitudinal bone growth in rats. J Physiol 414: 55–71. , .
- 1994. Mechanism of longitudinal bone growth and its regulation by growth plate chondrocytes. Microsc Res Tech 28: 505–519. .
- 1982. Growth hormone stimulates longitudinal bone growth directly. Science 216: 1237–1239. , , .
- 2004. GH, IGF-I, and growth. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 17: 1321–1326. .
- 1985. Sexual dimorphism in the control of growth hormone secretion. Endocr Rev 6: 128–150. , , .
- 1999. Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF-I receptor (IGF-IR) immunoreactivity in normal and osteopetrotic (toothless, tl/tl) rat tibia. Growth Factors 16: 279–291. , , , , .
- 1972. Comparative patterns of cell division in epiphyseal cartilage plates in the rat. J Anat 111: 137–142. .
- 1978. Cell kinetics and the control of growth in long bones. Cell Tissue Kinet 11: 477–485. .
- 2002. Review of growth plate closure compared with age at sexual maturity and lifespan in laboratory animals. Contem Top Lab Anim Sci 41: 21–26. , , .
- 1990. Study of the growth kinetics and morphology in limbs transplanted between animals of different ages. Plast Reconstruct Surg 85: 273–280. , , , .
- 2003. 1,25(OH)2D3 and dihydrotestosterone interact to regulate proliferation and differentiation of epiphyseal chondrocytes. Calcif Tiss Int 73: 400–410. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The insulin-like growth factor system. Exp Diab Res 4: 205–212. .
- 2001. Growth hormone receptor/binding protein (GHR/BP) knockout mice: a 3-year update. Mol Gen Metab 73: 1–10. , , .
- 2001. Roles of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 in mouse postnatal growth. Dev Biol 229: 141–162. , , , , .
- 2002. Leptin acts as a growth factor on the chondrocytes of skeletal growth centers. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1034–1043. , , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of cell proliferation in rat tissues with BrdU, PCNA, Ki-67 (MIB-5) immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization for histone mRNA. J Histochem Cytochem 51: 1681–1688. , , , .
- 1990. Regulation by GH of insulin-like growth factor-I mRNA expression in rat epiphyseal growth plate as studied with in-situ hybridization. J Endocrinol 125: 67–74. , , , , .
- 2004. Fundamental limits on longitudinal bone growth: growth plate senescence and epiphyseal fusion. Trend Endocrinol Metab 15: 370–374. , .
- 2005. Impact of growth plate senescence on catch-up growth and epiphyseal fusion. Pediatr Nephrol 20: 319–322. , .
- 2005a. Endocrine regulation of the growth plate. Horm Res 64: 157–165. , , , , .
- 2005b. Growth plate senescence is associated with loss of DNA methylation. J Endocrinol 186: 241–249. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Growth hormone and IGF-I stimulate cell function in distinct zones of the rat epiphyseal growth plate. Connect Tiss Res 31: 189–195. , .
- 1992. Effects of tri-iodothyronine and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on alkaline phosphatase activity, [3H]thymidine incorporation and IGF-I receptor mRNA in cultured rat epiphyseal chondrocytes. J Endocrinol 135: 115–123. , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of the components of the insulin-like growth factor axis across the growth plate. Mol Cell Endocrinol 156: 63–71. , .
- 2002. Misconceptions: I, epiphyseal fusion causes cessation of growth. Bone 30: 337–339. .
- 1932. The growth in length of the long bones in the madder-fed pig. J Anat 66: 414–425. .
- 2001. Testosterone stimulates growth of tibial epiphyseal growth plate and insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor abundance in hypophysectomized and castrated rats. Endocrine 16: 1–6. , , , , .
- 1991. Growth plate activity in the upper extremity. Clin Orthop Rel Res 268: 235–242. .
- 1992. Longitudinal growth and growth plate activity in the lower extremity. Clin Orthop Rel Res 275: 274–279. .
- 2005. Molecular mechanisms of endochondral bone development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 328: 658–665. , .
- 2000. Effect of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) on the expression of IGF-I messenger ribonucleic acid and peptide in rat tibial growth plate and articular chondrocytes in vivo. Endocrinology 141: 2847–2853. , , , , .
- 2005. Plio-Pleistocene hominid limb proportions. Curr Anthropol 46: 575–588. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Ossification of the mouse metatarsal: differentiation and proliferation in the presence/absence of a defined growth plate. Anat Rec 288A: 104–118. , , , .
- 2003. Temporal analysis of rat growth plates: cessation of growth with age despite presence of a physis. J Histochem Cytochem 51: 373–383. , , , , .
- 2004. Action of estradiol on epiphyseal growth plate chondrocytes. Calc Tiss Int 75: 214–224. , , .
- 2006. Depletion of resting zone chondrocytes during growth plate senescence. J Endocrinol 189: 27–36. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Relative growth of the skull and postcranium in giant transgenic mice. Genet Res 56: 21–34. , , , .
- 2000. Disproportional skeletal growth and markedly decreased bone mineral content in growth hormone receptor -/- mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 267: 603–608. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of liver-derived insulin-like growth factor I on bone metabolism in mice. J Bone Miner Res 17: 1977–1987. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Dexamethasone-induced growth inhibition of porcine growth plate chondrocytes is accompanied by changes in levels of IGF axis components. J Endocrinol 174: 343–352. , , , .
- 1925. The order, time, and rate of ossification of the albino rat (Mus norvegicus albinus) skeleton. Am J Anat 36: 313–355. .
- 1994. Skeletal effects of estrogen. Endocrine Rev 15: 275–300. , , .
- 2003. Systemic and local regulation of the growth plate. Endocrine Rev 24: 782–801. , , .
- 1999. Disproportional body growth in female estrogen receptor-alpha-inactivated mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 19: 2–569. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor I receptors in the temporomandibular joint of the rat. J Dent Res 80: 1903–1907. , , , , .
- 2002. Distribution of insulin-like growth factor-I mRNA in the mandibular condyle and rib cartilage of the rat during growth. Arch Oral Biol 47: 791–798. , , , .
- 2001. Effects of estrogen on growth plate senescence and epiphyseal fusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 6871–6876. , , , , , .
- 2003. Cell proliferation and differentiation during fracture healing are influenced by locally applied IGF-I and TGF-beta1: comparison of two proliferation markers, PCNA and BrdU. J Biomed Mater Res 65: 150–156. , , , , , .
- 2005. Candidate downstream regulated genes of HOX group 13 transcription factors with and without monomeric DNA binding capacity. Dev Biol 279: 462–480. , , , , , , .
- 1996a. Cell cycle analysis of proliferative zone chondrocytes in growth plates elongating at different rates. J Orthop Res 14: 562–572. , , , , .
- 1996b. Differential growth by growth plates as a function of multiple parameters of chondrocyte kinetics. J Orthop Res 14: 927–936. , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of metallothionein-human growth hormone fusion genes in transgenic mice results in disproportionate skeletal gigantism. Growth Dev Aging 55: 117–127. , , .
- 2003. Species comarison of postnatal bone growth and development. Birth Defects Res Part B 68: 86–110. , , , , .