Growth & Development
Changes of melanosome morphology associated with the differentiation of epidermal melanocytes in slaty mice
Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 290, Issue 8, pages 981–993, August 2007
How to Cite
Hirobe, T. and Abe, H. (2007), Changes of melanosome morphology associated with the differentiation of epidermal melanocytes in slaty mice. Anat Rec, 290: 981–993. doi: 10.1002/ar.20547
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAR 2007
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2006
- The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan and Special Coordination Funds for Promoting Science and Technology of Japan. Grant Number: 15591204
- 1995. Structure of the mouse tyrosinase-related protein-2/dopachrome tautomerase (Tyrp2/Dct) gene and sequence of two novel slaty alleles. Genomics 29: 35–43. , .
- 2005. Mutations in dopachrome tautomerase (Dct) affect eumelanin/pheomelanin synthesis, but do not affect intracellular trafficking of the mutant protein. Biochem J 391: 249–259. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Melanosome biogenesis: shedding light or the origin of an obscure organelle. Trends Cell Biol 13: 503–506. .
- 1969. Melanin 1969: some definitions and problems. Jpn J Dermatol (B) 79: 278–282. , , , .
- 1983. Modulation of melanosome ultrastructure in cultured embryonic pigment cells. J Exp Zool 225: 285–291. , .
- 1972. Private communication. Mouse News Lett 47: 36. .
- 1982. Origin of melanosome structures and cytochemical localizations of tyrosinase activity in differentiating epidermal melanocytes of newborn mouse skin. J Exp Zool 224: 355–363. .
- 1992. Basic fibroblast growth factor stimulates the sustained proliferation of mouse epidermal melanoblasts in a serum-free medium in the presence of dibutyryl cyclic AMP and keratinocytes. Development 114: 435–445. .
- 1999. Genetic and epigenetic control of the proliferation and differentiation of mouse epidermal melanocytes in culture. Pigment Cell Res 12: 147–163. , .
- 2000. ACTH4-12 is the minimal message sequence required to induce the differentiation of mouse epidermal melanocytes in serum-free primary culture. J Exp Zool 286: 632–640. , .
- 1977. Induction of melanogenesis in the epidermal melanoblasts of newborn mouse skin by MSH. J Embryol Exp Morphol 37: 79–90. , ,
- 1978. Changes of organelles associated with the differentiation of epidermal melanocytes in the mouse. J Embryol Exp Morphol 43: 107–121. , ,
- 2002. Stimulation of the proliferation and differentiation of mouse pink-eyed dilution epidermal melanocytes by excess tyrosine in serum-free primary culture. J Cell Physiol 191: 162–172. , , , , , ,
- 2006. The slaty mutation affects eumelanin and pheomelanin synthesis in mouse melanocytes. Eur J Cell Biol 85: 537–549. , , , , , .
- 1981. Isolation and biochemical characterization of tyrosinase-rich GERL and coated vesicles in melanin synthesizing cells. Br J Dermatol 104: 169–178. , .
- 1985. Microanalysis of eumelanin and pheomelanin in hair and melanomas by chemical degradation and liquid chromatography. Anal Biochem 144: 527–536. , .
- 1992. A second tyrosinase-related protein, TRP-2 maps to and is mutated at the mouse slaty locus. EMBO J 11: 527–535. , , , , , , .
- 1979. Comparison of eumelanogenesis and pheomelanogenesis in retinal and follicular melanocytes; role of vesiculo-globular bodies in melanosome differentiation. J Invest Dermatol 73: 278–284. , , , .
- 1980. DOPAchrome conversion: a possible control point in melanin biosynthesis. J Invest Dermatol 75: 192–195. , .
- 1994. Functional analysis of the slaty gene product (TRP2) as dopachrome tautomerase and the effect of a point mutation on its catalytic function. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 202: 1060–1068. , , , , .
- 2001. A new model for melanosome biogenesis based on the purification and mapping of early melanosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 10698–10703. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The melanosome: an ideal model to study cellular differentiation. Pigment Cell Res 16: 237–244. , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. The coat colors of mice. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1981. Induction of the shift in melanin synthesis in lethal yellow (Ay/a) mice in vitro. Dev Genet 2: 349–365. , .
- 1984. Action of the e locus of mice in the response of phaemelanic hair follicles to α-melanocyte-stimulating hormone in vitro. Science 224: 1241–1242. , .
- 1992. A second tyrosinase-related protein, TRP-2, is a melanogenic enzyme termed DOPAchrome tautomerase. EMBO J 11: 519–526. , , , , .
- 2002. The usefulness of 4-amino-3-hydroxyphenylalanine as a specific marker of pheomelanin. Pigment Cell Res 15: 225–232. , , .