Evidence of Temporary Airway Epithelial Repopulation and Rare Clonal Formation by BM-derived Cells Following Naphthalene Injury in Mice
Article first published online: 27 JUL 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 290, Issue 9, pages 1033–1045, September 2007
How to Cite
Serikov, V. B., Popov, B., Mikhailov, V. M., Gupta, N. and Matthay, M. A. (2007), Evidence of Temporary Airway Epithelial Repopulation and Rare Clonal Formation by BM-derived Cells Following Naphthalene Injury in Mice. Anat Rec, 290: 1033–1045. doi: 10.1002/ar.20574
- Issue published online: 21 AUG 2007
- Article first published online: 27 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Received: 12 DEC 2006
- NIH. Grant Number: HL 51854
- CIRM Stem Cell Research
- Russian Fund of Basic Research. Grant Numbers: 05-04-49609, 06-04-48439
- 2003. Transplanted BM and BM side population cells contribute progeny to the lung and liver in irradiated animals. Cytotherapy 5: 523–533. , , , , .
- 2004. Cells derived from the circulation contribute to the repair of lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170: 1158–1163. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Characterization of mesenchymal stem cells isolated from murine bone marrow by negative selection. J Biol Chem 89: 1235–1249. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Acute lung injury with endotoxin or NO2 does not enhance development of airway epithelium from bone marrow. Mol Ther 12: 680–686. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Naphthalene-induced respiratory tract toxicity: metabolic mechanisms of toxicity. Drug Metab Rev 34: 791–820. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Evidence that bone marrow cells do not contribute to the alveolar epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 33: 335–342. , , , , .
- 2003. Differential expression of stem cell mobilization-associated molecules on multi-lineage cells from adipose tissue and bone marrow. Immunol Lett 89: 267–270. , , , , , , , , .
- 1976. Precusor cells of mechanocytes. Int Rev Cytol 47: 327–359. .
- 2002. Marrow-derived cells as vehicles for delivery of gene therapy to pulmonary epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 27: 645–651. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cell specific expression of peroxiredoxins in human lung and pulmonary sarcoidosis. Thorax 57: 157–164. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Increased chimerism of bronchial and alveolar epithelium in human lung allografts undergoing chronic injury. Am J Pathol 162: 1487–1494. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Bone-marrow-derived cells as progenitors of lung alveolar epithelium. Development 128: 5181–5188. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Failure of Bone Marrow to Reconstitute Lung Epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 33: 328–334. , , .
- 2001. Multi-organ, multi-lineage engraftment by a single bone marrow-derived stem cell. Cell 105: 369–377. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Evidence for a regulatory protein complex on RNA polymerase III promoter of human retroposons of Alu family. Genetica 98: 223–233. , .
- 2003. HLA expression and immunological properties of differentiated and undifferentiated mesenchymal stem cells Exp Hematol 31: 890–896. , , , , .
- 2006. Limited restoration of cystic fibrosis lung epithelium in vivo with adult bone marrow-derived cells. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173: 171–179. , , , , .
- 1977. Morphology of naphthalene-induced bronchiolar lesion. Am J Pathol 86: 558–572. , , .
- 2003. Murine marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell: isolation, in vitro expansion, and characterization. Br J Hematol 123: 702–711. , .
- 2003. Mesenchymal stem cell engraftment in lung is enhanced in response to bleomycin exposure and ameliorates its fibrotic effects. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 8407–8411. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Adult stem cells from bone marrow (MSCs) isolated from different strains of inbred mice vary in surface epitopes, rates of proliferation, and differentiation potential. Blood 103: 1662–1668. , , , , , .
- 1999. Plastic adherent stromal cells from bone marrow of commonly used strains of inbred mice: variations in yield, growth, and differentiation. J Cell Biochem 72: 570–585. , , , .
- 2004. Stem cells in lung biology. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 286: L621. , .
- 1999. Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science 284: 143–147. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Marrow stromal cells as stem cells for nonhematopoietic tissues. Science 276: 71–74. .
- 2003. One strategy for cell and gene therapy: harnessing the power of adult stem cells to repair tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 11917–11923. , , .
- 2004. Airway injury in lung disease pathophysiology: selective depletion of airway stem and progenitor cell pools potentiates lung inflammation and alveolar dysfunction. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287: L1256–L1265. , , , , , .
- 2005. Bone marrow derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Repair of the Injured Lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 33: 145–152. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Bone Marrow-derived cells restore expression of peroxiredoxin V in the airways following acute naphthalene injury in mice. Cytotherapy 7: 483–493. , , , .
- 2003. Differentiation, cell fusion, and nuclear fusion during ex vivo repair of epithelium by human adult stem cells from bone marrow stroma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 2397–2402. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Transbronchial biopsies provide longitudinal evidence for epithelial chimerism in children following sex mismatched lung transplantation. Thorax 60: 60–62. , , , , , .
- 1995. Plasticity of airway cell proliferation and gene expression after acute naphthalene injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 269: 791–799. , , , .
- 2003. Human pulmonary chimerisms after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168: 318–322. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Adult bone marrow-derived stem cells for the lung: implications for pediatric lung diseases. Pediatr Res 59: 94R–99R. , .
- 1995. Cellular response in Naphthalene-induced Clara cell injury and bronchiolar epithelial repair in mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 269: L800–L818. , , , , .
- 2002. Little evidence for developmental plasticity of adult hematopoietic stem cell. Science 297: 2256–2263. , , , .
- 2005. Adult stem cells from bone marrow stroma differentiate into airway epithelial cells: potential therapy for cystic fibrosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102: 186–191. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Adult stem cells, lung biology and lung disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 3: 193–207. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Bone-marrow-derived progenitor cells are important for lung repair after lipopolysaccharide-induced lung injury. J Immunol 172: 1266–1271. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Non-random positioning of chromosomes in human sperm nuclei. Chromosome Res 12: 163–173. , .