Temporal Changes of Astrocyte Activation and Glutamate Transporter-1 Expression in the Spinal Cord After Spinal Nerve Ligation-Induced Neuropathic Pain
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 291, Issue 5, pages 513–518, May 2008
How to Cite
Wang, W., Wang, W., Wang, Y., Huang, J., Wu, S. and Li, Y.-Q. (2008), Temporal Changes of Astrocyte Activation and Glutamate Transporter-1 Expression in the Spinal Cord After Spinal Nerve Ligation-Induced Neuropathic Pain. Anat Rec, 291: 513–518. doi: 10.1002/ar.20673
- Issue online: 8 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 17 OCT 2007
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 30600176
- The Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University, Innovation Research Team Program of Ministry of Education of China. Grant Number: IRT0560
- National Program of Basic Research of China. Grant Number: G2006CB500808
- 1994. Quantitative assessment of tactile allodynia in the rat paw. J Neurosci Methods 53: 55–63. , , , , .
- 2001. Glutamate uptake. Prog Neurobiol 65: 1–105. .
- 1998. A new and sensitive method for measuring thermal nociception in cutaneous hyperalgesia. Pain 32: 77–88. , , , , .
- 1995. Quantitative evaluation of calcitonin generelated peptide and substance P levels in rat spinal cord following peripheral nerve injury. Neurosci Lett 186: 84–88. , .
- 1992. An experimental model for peripheral neuropathy produced by segmental spinal nerve ligation in the rat. Pain 50: 355–363. , .
- 2006. NMDA receptors mediate neuron-to-glia signaling in mouse cortical astrocytes. J Neurosci 26: 2673–2683. , , , , .
- 2000. Glutamate transporter GLT-1 is highly expressed in activated microglia following facial nerve axotomy. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 76: 429–435. , , , .
- 2002. Chronic morphine induces downregulation of spinal glutamate transporters: implications in morphine tolerance and abnormal pain sensitivity. J Neurosci 22: 8312–8323. , , , .
- 1994. Localization of neuronal and glial glutamate transporters. Neuron 13: 713–725. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Knockout of glutamate transporters reveals a major role for astroglial transport in excitotoxicity and clearance of glutamate. Neuron 16: 675–686. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of the glial Na+- dependent glutamate transporters by cyclic AMP analogs and neurons. Mol Pharmacol 53: 355–369. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Altered expression and uptake activity of spinal glutamate transporters after nerve injury contribute to the pathogenesis of neuropathic pain in rats. J Neurosci 23: 2899–2910. , , .
- 2004. Peri-sciatic proinflammatory cytokines, reactive oxygen species, and complement induce mirror-image neuropathic pain in rats. Pain 110: 299–309. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Glial activation: a driving force for pathological pain. Trends Neurosci 24: 450–455. , , .
- 2003. Glia: a novel drug discovery target for clinical pain. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2: 973–985. , .
- 2006. Inhibition of glutamate uptake in the spinal cord induces hyperalgesia and increased responses of spinal dorsal horn neurons to peripheral afferent stimulation. Neuroscience 138: 1351–1360. , , , .
- 1983. Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals. Pain 16: 109–110. .
- 2001. Pathobiology of neuropathic pain. Eur J Pharmacol 429: 23–37. .
- 2006. A peptide c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) inhibitor blocks mechanical allodynia after spinal nerve ligation: respective roles of JNK activation in primary sensory neurons and spinal astrocytes for neuropathic pain development and maintenance. J Neurosci 26: 3551–3560. , , , , , , , .