Vascular Development and Differentiation During Human Liver Organogenesis
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 291, Issue 6, pages 614–627, June 2008
How to Cite
Collardeau-Frachon, S. and Scoazec, J.-Y. (2008), Vascular Development and Differentiation During Human Liver Organogenesis. Anat Rec, 291: 614–627. doi: 10.1002/ar.20679
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2008
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2007
- 2003. Functional morphology of ductus venosus in human fetus. Neuro Endocrinol Lett 24: 28–32. , , , .
- 1986. Structural changes in endothelial cells of developing rat liver in the transition from fetal to postnatal life. J Ultrastruct Mol Struct Res 97: 197–206. , , , .
- 1944. The foetal circulation and cardiovascular system, and the changes that they undergo at birth. Oxford: Nuffield Institute for Medical Research, Blackwell Scientific Publication. , , .
- 1983. Fine structure of perisinusoidal cells in developing human and mouse liver. Acta Morphol Hung 31: 337–352. , , , .
- 2007. Hepatocyte-conditioned medium sustains endothelial differentiation of human hematopoietic-endothelial progenitors. Hepatology 45: 1218–1228. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. VEGF is crucial for the hepatic vascular development required for lipoprotein uptake. Development 132: 3293–3303. , , , , , .
- 1989. Functional anatomy of the liver of the human fetus: applications to ultrasonography. Surg Radiol Anat 11: 53–62. , , .
- 2006. Isolation and angiogenesis by endothelial progenitors in the fetal liver. Stem Cells 24: 44–54. , , , , , .
- 1999. Liver anatomy: portal (and suprahepatic) or biliary segmentation. Dig Surg 16: 459–467. .
- 1996. Structural and functional differentiation of sinusoidal endothelial cells during liver organogenesis in humans. Blood 148: 165–175. , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of integrins during liver organogenesis in humans. Hepatology 39: 336–349. , , , , , , , , .
- 1966. A study by means of vascular casts of small vessels related to the mammalian portal vein. J Anat 100: 665–673. , .
- 2004. Rat liver sinusoidal endothelial cell phenotype is maintained by paracrine and autocrine regulation. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287: G757–G763. , , , , .
- 1991. Embryology of the liver and intrahepatic biliary tract, and an overview of malformations of the bile duct. In: MacIntyreN,BenhamouJP,BircherJ,RizzetoM,RodesJ, editors. Oxford textbook of clinical hepatology. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 497–517. .
- 1957. The development of the ductus venosus in man and the goat. J Anat 91: 358–368. .
- 1980. Regulation of blood flow through the ductus venosus. J Dev Physiol 2: 219–238. .
- 1983. Fine structure of hepatic sinusoids and their development in human embryos and fetuses. Acta Pathol Jpn 33: 447–466. , , , , .
- 1997. Development of hepatic sinusoidal structure with special reference to the Ito cells. Microsc Res Tech 39: 336–349. , , , , , .
- 2001. VEGF can act as vascular permeability factor in the hepatic sinusoids through upregulation of porosity of endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 280: 481–485. , , , , .
- 2002. Congenital and acquired anomalies of the portal venous system. Radiographics 22: 141–159. , , , , , .
- 2004. Congenital hepatic shunts. Radiographics 24: 755–772. , , , , , .
- 1992. Fetal ductus venosus and its sphincter mechanism. Lancet 339: 132. .
- 1997. Liver development in the rat and in man during the embryonic period (Carnegie stages 11–23). Microsc Res Tech 39: 314–327. , , , .
- 2002. Relationship between vascular development and vascular differentiation during liver organogenesis in humans. J Hepatol 37: 730–740. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Portal and umbilical venous blood supply to the liver in the human fetus near term. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 24: 599–605. , , , , .
- 1999. Encephalopathy without cirrhosis: hunt the shunt. Gut 45: 329–330. .
- 1988. Growth and asymmetry of the human liver during the embryonic period. Pediatr Pathol 8: 17–24. , .
- 1988. Rare congenital anomaly of the portal vein. Br J Surg 75: 1038–1039. , .
- 1999. Initiation of mammalian liver development from endoderm by fibroblast growth factors. Science 284: 1998–2003. , , , .
- 2004. The fetal circulation. Prenat Diagn 24: 1049–1059. , .
- 2000. Blood flow and the degree of shunting through the ductus venosus in the human fetus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 182: 147–153. , , .
- 2006. Human hepatic sinusoidal endothelial cells can be distinguished by expression of phenotypic markers related to their specialised functions in vivo. World J Gastroenterol 12: 5429–5439. , , , , .
- 2003. Role of endothelial cells in early pancreas and liver development. Mech Dev 120: 59–64. , , .
- 1983. Organogenesis of the venous structures of the human liver: a hemodynamic theory. Anat Clin 5: 97–102. , .
- 2004. The netrin receptor UNC5B mediates guidance events controlling morphogenesis of the vascular system. Nature 432: 179–186. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Scanning electron microscopy of adult and fetal liver sinusoids. In: Bioulac-SageP,BalabaudC, editors. Sinusoids in human liver: health and disease. Rijswijk: Kupffer Cell Foundation. p 63–81. , , .
- 1980. Scanning electron microscopy of foetal liver sinusoids in humans. Folia Morphol (Praha) 28: 85–87. , .
- 1906. A study of the structural unit of the liver. Am J Anat 5: 227–306. .
- 1969. Developmental basis of the portal venous system. Am J Surg 117: 671–681. .
- 2001. Liver organogenesis promoted by endothelial cells prior to vascular function. Science 294: 559–563. , , , .
- 2001. The anatomy of the umbilical, portal and hepatic venous systems in the human fetus at 14–19 weeks of gestation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 18: 598–604. , , , , .
- 2002. The human ductus venosus between 13 and 17 weeks of gestation: histological and morphometric studies. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 116: 392–400. , , , , .
- 1966. The ductus venosus and the mechanism of its closure. Arch Dis Child 41: 597–605. , .
- 1991. Hepatocytes modulate the hepatic microvascular phenotype. Lab Invest 195: 1–7. , .
- 1978. Ultrasonic and radiographic study of the vessels of the fetal liver. J Clin Ultrasound 6: 409–411. , .
- 2001. LYVE-1 is not restricted to the lymph vessels: expression in normal liver blood sinusoids and down-regulation in human liver cancer and cirrhosis. Cancer Res 61: 8079–8084. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Development, differentiation, and maturation of Kupffer cells. Microsc Res Tech 39: 350–364. , , .
- 2007. Development of murine hepatic sinusoidal endothelial cells characterized by the expression of hyaluronan receptors. Dev Dyn 236: 2258–2267. , , , .
- 2000. Local regulators of hepatic sinusoidal microcirculation: recent advances. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 23: 85–94. , , .
- 2003. Regulatory mechanisms of hepatic microcirculation. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 29: 167–182. , , .
- 1999. Blood-flow route from the hepatic artery and portal vein to the sinusoid in normal human liver observed by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Anal Quant Cytol Histol 21: 255–261. , , , .
- 2007. Three-dimensional organization of the hepatic artery terminal branches: a scanning electron microscopic study of vascular corrosion casts of rat liver. Ital J Anat Embryol 112: 1–12. , , , , .
- 2004. Three-dimensional imaging of the portal sinus anatomy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 23: 207–208. , , .
- 2003. Umbilical flow distribution to the liver and the ductus venosus in human fetuses during gestation: an anatomy-based mathematical modeling. Med Eng Phys 25: 229–238. , , , .
- 2004. Contribution of mesothelium-derived cells to liver sinusoids in avian embryos. Dev Dyn 229: 465–474. , , , , , .
- 2001. Distinct mesodermal signals, including BMPs from the septum transversum mesenchyme, are required in combination for hepatogenesis from the endoderm. Genes Dev 15: 1998–2009. , , , .
- 2001. Three-dimensional observations of the human hepatic artery (Arterial system in the liver). J Hepatol 34: 455–466. , .
- 2006. Ductus venosus shunting in the fetal venous circulation: regulatory mechanisms, diagnostic methods and medical importance. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 27: 452–461. , , .
- 1993. Development of human peribiliary capillary plexus: a lectin-histochemical and immunohistochemical study. Hepatology 18: 529–536. , .
- 1989. Vascular plexus around intrahepatic bile ducts in normal livers and portal hypertension. J Hepatol 8: 139–149. , , .
- 1996. Structure and function of sinusoidal lining cells in the liver. Toxicol Pathol 24: 100–111. , , , , , , .
- 1994. A new communication system between hepatocytes and sinusoidal endothelial cells in liver through vascular endothelial growth factor and Flt tyrosine kinase receptor family (Flt-1 and KDR/Flk-1). Oncogene 9: 2683–2690. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Vascular endothelial growth factor increases fenestral permeability in hepatic sinusoidal endothelial cells. Liver Int 23: 467–475. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Involvement of signaling of VEGF and TGF-beta in differentiation of sinusoidal endothelial cells during culture of fetal rat liver cells. Cell Tissue Res 329: 273–282. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Splanchnic blood flow in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension: investigation with duplex Doppler US. Radiology 194: 807–812. , , , .