Complete Nucleotide Sequence of a Coxsackievirus B4 Strain that Establishes Infection in ICR Mice Pancreas and Induces Glucose Intolerance
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 291, Issue 5, pages 601–609, May 2008
How to Cite
Zhou, M. and Li, F. (2008), Complete Nucleotide Sequence of a Coxsackievirus B4 Strain that Establishes Infection in ICR Mice Pancreas and Induces Glucose Intolerance. Anat Rec, 291: 601–609. doi: 10.1002/ar.20690
- Issue online: 8 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 19 SEP 2007
- 1997. Integrin alpha v beta 6 enhances coxsackievirus B1 lytic infection of human colon cancer cells. Virology 239: 71–77. , , , , , .
- 2005. Phenotypic and genetic changes in coxsackievirus B5 following repeated passage in mouse pancreas. J Med Virol 75: 566–574. , , .
- 2001. Type 1 diabetes: new perspectives on disease pathogenesis and treatment. Lancet 358: 221–229. , .
- 1993. Determination of diabetogenicity attributable to a single amino acid, Ala776, on the polyprotein of encephalomyocarditis virus. Diabetes 42: 435–443. , .
- 1995. coxsackievirus B3 adapted to growth in RD cells binds to decay accelerating factor (CD55). J Virol 69: 1903–1906. , , , , , .
- 1997a. Isolation of a common receptor for coxsackie B viruses and adenoviruses 2 and 5. Science 275: 1320–1323. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997b. Clinical coxsackievirus B isolates differ from laboratory strains in their interaction with two cell surface receptors. J Infect Dis 175: 697–700. , , , , , .
- 1993. Identification of a single amino acid residue in the capsid protein VP1 of coxsackievirus B4 that determines the virulent phenotype. J Virol 67: 4797–4803. , , .
- 1994. An infectious cDNA copy of the genome of a non-cardiovirulent coxsackievirus B3 strain: its complete sequence analysis and comparison to the genomes of cardiovirulent coxsackieviruses. Arch Virol 135: 115–130. , , , .
- 1997. Genetics of coxsackievirus virulence. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 223: 227–258. , , .
- 2000. Increased level of interferon-alpha in blood of patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: relationship with coxsackievirus B infection. J Infect Dis 181: 1929–1939. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Persistent poliovirus infection of human neuroblastoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86: 7590–7594. , , , .
- 2007. Coxsackie B4 virus infection of β-cells and natural killer cell insulitis in recent-onset type 1 diabetic patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 5115–5120. , , .
- 1999. Two determinants in the capsid of a persistent type 3 poliovirus exert different effects on mutant virus uncoating. J Gen Virol 80: 2601–2605. , .
- 1998. Two amino acids substitutions in the type 3 poliovirus capsid contribute to the establishment of persistent infection in Hep-2c cells by modifying virus receptor interactions. Virology 241: 14–29. , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms of chronic enteroviral persistence in tissue. Curr Opin Infect Dis 14: 251–256. .
- 1997. Antibody responses to different strains of coxsackievirus B4 in children with newly-diagnosed type I diabetes mellitus. J Infect 34: 205–210. , .
- 1985. High frequency of coxsackie-B-virus-specific IgM in children developing type I diabetes during a period of high diabetes morbidity. J Med Virol 17: 219–227. , , , , , , .
- 1992. The possible role of coxsackie A and echo viruses in the pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes mellitus studied by IgM analysis. J Infect Dis 24: 13–22. , , , , .
- 2001. The replication of certain coxsackie B virus strains in CHO cells. J Virol Methods 98: 161–165. , , .
- 1989. Cystein proteases of positive strand RNA viruses and chymotrypsin-like serine proteases. FEBS Lett 243: 103–114. , , , .
- 2000. A point mutation in VP1 of coxsackievirus B4 alters antigenicity. J Virol 269: 86–94. , .
- 2000. Picornavirus proteins share antigenic determinants with heat shock proteins 60/65. J Med Virol 62: 383–391. , , , , , .
- 1995. Internal initiation of translation in eukaryotes: the picornavirus paradigm and beyond. RNA 1: 985–1000. , .
- 1987. The complete nucleotide sequence of coxsackievirus B4 and its comparison to other members of the Picornaviridae. J Gen Virol 68: 1835–1848. , , , .
- 1997. Gain or loss of diabetogenicity resulting from a single point mutation in recombinant encephalomyocarditis virus. J Virol 71: 9782–9785. , , , .
- 1993. Molecular biology of viral heart disease. Herz 18: 238–244. .
- 1994. Complete nucleotide sequence of a strain of coxsackie B4 virus of human origin that induces diabetes in mice and its comparison with nondiabetogenic coxsackie B4 JBV strain. J Med Virol 44: 353–361. , , , .
- 1992. Autoimmunity to two forms of glutamate decarboxylase in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Clin Invest 89: 283–292. , , , , , .
- 1985. Coxsackie-B-specific IgM responses in children with insulin-dependent (juvenile-onset; type 1) diabetes mellitus. Lancet 1: 1397–1399. , , , , .
- 1996. A mutation in the puff region of VP2 attenuates the myocarditic phenotype of an infectious cDNA of the Woodruff variant of coxsackievirus B3. J Virol 70: 7811–7818. , , , , .
- 1991. The phylogeny of RNA-dependent RNA polymerases of positive-strand RNA viruses. J Gen Virol 72: 2197–2206. .
- 1976. Unrelated animal viruses share receptors. Nature 259: 679–681. , , .
- 1994. The 50 noncoding region and virulence of poliovirus vaccine strains. Trends Microbiol 2: 449–454. , , , .
- 2003. Molecular and biological analysis of Echovirus 9 strain isolated from a diabetic child. J Med Virol 69: 529–537. , , .
- 1997. Coxsackievirus B epidemiology and public health concerns. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 223: 13–30. .
- 1999. The role of interferon regulatory factor-1 in cytokine-induced mRNA expression and cell death in murine pancreatic beta-cells. Eur Cytokine Netw 10: 403–412. , , , , .
- 1995. A point mutation in the VP4 coding sequence of coxsackievirus B4 influences virulence. J Virol 69: 7278–7281. , .
- 1997. Coxsackieviruses and diabetes. Bioessays 19: 793–800. , , .
- 2000. Attachment of coxsackievirus B3 variants to various cell lines: mapping of phenotypic differences to capsid protein VP1. Virology 275: 77–88. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Pathogenesis of virus-induced diabetes in mice. J Infect Dis 171: 1131–1138. , .
- 1995. Coxsackievirus B1, B3 and B5 use decay accelerating factor as a receptor for cell attachment. J Virol 69: 3873–3877. , , , , , .
- 2003. Lack of islet neogenesis plays a key role in beta-cell depletion in mice infected with a diabetogenic variant of coxsackievirus B4. J Gen Virol 84: 3051–3068. , , , .
- 2002a. Enterovirus RNA is found in peripheral blood mononuclear cells in a majority of type 1 diabetic children at onset. Diabetes 51: 1964–1971. , , , .
- 2002b. Complete nucleotide sequence of a coxsackievirus B-4 strain capable of establishing persistent infection in human pancreatic islet cells: effects on insulin release, proinsulin synthesis, and cell morphology. J Med Virol 68: 544–557. , , .
- 1978. Virus-induced diabetes mellitus. XV. Beta cell damage and insulin-dependent hyperglycemia in mice infected with coxsackie virus B4. J Exp Med 148: 1068–1080. , , .
- 1979. Isolation of a virus from the pancreas of a child with diabetic ketoacidosis. N Engl J Med 300: 1173–1179. , , , .
- 1989. Viruses as a triggering factor of type 1 diabetes and genetic markers related to the susceptibility to the virus-associated diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 7: 47–58. , , .
- 1997. Persistent echovirus infection in mouse cells expressing the viral receptor VLA-2. Virology 235: 293–301. , .