Imaging & Modeling Techniques
Effect of Foot and Ankle Immobilization on Leg and Thigh Muscles' Volume and Morphology: A Case Study Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Article first published online: 24 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 291, Issue 12, pages 1673–1683, December 2008
How to Cite
Grosset, J.-F. and Onambele-Pearson, G. (2008), Effect of Foot and Ankle Immobilization on Leg and Thigh Muscles' Volume and Morphology: A Case Study Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Anat Rec, 291: 1673–1683. doi: 10.1002/ar.20759
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 24 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 15 FEB 2008
- 2000. Effect of short-duration spaceflight on thigh and leg muscle volume. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32: 1743–1747. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Inactivity and muscle: effect of resistance training during bed rest on muscle size in the lower limb. Acta Physiol Scand 172: 269–278. , , , , , , .
- 2004a. Efficacy of a gravity-independent resistance exercise device as a countermeasure to muscle atrophy during 29-day bed rest. Acta Physiol Scand 181: 345–357. , .
- 2004b. Knee extensor and plantar flexor muscle size and function following 90 days of bed rest with or without resistance exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 93: 294–305. , .
- 2006. Determinants of disuse-induced skeletal muscle atrophy: exercise and nutrition countermeasures to prevent protein loss. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 52: 233–247. , .
- 1991. Effects of lower limb unloading on skeletal muscle mass and function in humans. J Appl Physiol 70: 1882–1885. , , , , .
- 2006. Atrophy and hypertrophy of skeletal muscles: structural and functional aspects. Acta Physiol 188: 77–89. , .
- 1979. Recovery of skeletal muscle after 3 mo of hindlimb immobilization in rats. J Appl Physiol 47: 435–439. , .
- 1990. Myosin mRNA accumulation and myofibrillogenesis at the myotendinous junction of stretched muscle fibers. J Cell Biol 111: 1885–1894. , .
- 1975. Properties of immobilized hind-limb muscles of the Galago senegalensis. Exp Neurol 46: 115–131. , , , , .
- 1995. Human fiber size and enzymatic properties after 5 and 11 days of spaceflight. J Appl Physiol 78: 1733–1739. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Protein nutrition, exercise and aging. J Am Coll Nutr 23: 601S–609S. .
- 1985. Recovery in skeletal muscle contractile function after prolonged hindlimb immobilization. J Appl Physiol 59: 916–923. , .
- 2000. Physiology of a microgravity environment invited review: microgravity and skeletal muscle. JAppl Physiol 89: 823–839. , , .
- 2007. Morphological effects of two protocols of passive stretch over the immobilized rat soleus muscle. J Anat 210: 328–335. , , , .
- 1992. Skeletal muscle responses to lower limb suspension in humans. J Appl Physiol 72: 1493–1498. , , , .
- 2004. Mechanotransduction and the regulation of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle. Proc Nutr Soc 63: 331–335. , .
- 1992. Hypertrophic response to unilateral concentric isokinetic resistance training. J Appl Physiol 73: 65–70. , , , .
- 1977. Lean and fat component of the human thigh. The effects of immobilization in plaster and subsequent physical training. Scand J Rehabil Med 9: 67–72. , .
- 1990. The effect of tenotomy and immobilisation on intramuscular connective tissue. A morphometric and microscopic study in rat calf muscles. J Bone Joint Surg 72: 293–297. , , , , , .
- 1998a. Free mobilization and low- to high-intensity exercise in immobilization-induced muscle atrophy. J Appl Physiol 84: 1418–1424. , , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Effects of immobilization and subsequent low- and high-intensity exercise on morphology of rat calf muscles. Scand J Med Sci Sports 8: 160–171. , , , , .
- 1992a. The effects of training, immobilization and remobilization on musculoskeletal tissue. 1. Training and immobilization. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2: 100–118. , , , , , , , .
- 1992b. The effects of training, immobilization and remobilization on musculoskeletal tissue. 2. Remobilization and prevention of immobilization atrophy. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2: 164–176. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Skeletal muscle damage and recovery. AACN Clin Issues 13: 237–247. , , .
- 2004. Human adductor muscles atrophy after short duration of unweighting. Eur J Appl Physiol 92: 602–605. , , , , .
- 2001. Immobilisation for acute ankle sprain. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 121: 462–471. , , , , , .
- 1993. Distinguishing unloading- versus reloading-induced changes in rat soleus muscle. Muscle Nerve 16: 99–108. , .
- 1994. Temporal changes in sarcomere lesions of rat adductor longus muscles during hindlimb reloading. Anat Rec 238: 304–310. , .
- 1995. Vascular density at the myotendinous junction of the rat gastrocnemius muscle after immobilization and remobilization. Am J Sports Med 23: 359–364. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Differential response of heat shock proteins to hindlimb unloading and reloading in the soleus. Muscle Nerve 33: 200–207. , , .
- 2000. Muscle volume, MRI relaxation times (T2), and body composition after spaceflight. J Appl Physiol 89: 2158–2164. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Changes in triceps surae muscle architecture with sarcopenia. Acta Physiol Scand 183: 291–298. , , , .
- 2003. Effects of 17-day spaceflight on electrically evoked torque and cross-sectional area of the human triceps surae. Eur J Appl Physiol 90: 275–282. , , , .
- 1996. Human quadriceps cross-sectional area, torque and neural activation during 6 months strength training. Acta Physiol Scand 157: 175–186. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Changes in force, cross-sectional area and neural activation during strength training and detraining of the human quadriceps. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 59: 310–319. , , , , .
- 2003a. Expression of a muscle-specific, nitric oxide synthase transgene prevents muscle membrane injury and reduces muscle inflammation during modified muscle use in mice. J Physiol 550: 347–356. , .
- 2003b. Null mutation of gp91phox reduces muscle membrane lysis during muscle inflammation in mice. J Physiol 553: 833–841. , .
- 1995. Capillaries with fenestrae in the rat soleus muscle after experimental limb immobilization. J Electron Microsc (Tokyo) 44: 307–310. , , , , .
- 2006. Improvements in muscle-tendon properties are beneficial to balance in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 12: 666–669. , .
- 2006. Calf muscle-tendon properties and postural balance in old age. J Appl Physiol 100: 2048–2056. , , .
- 2004. Metatarsal fractures. Injury 35: 77–86. , , .
- 1973. Response of mitochondrial enzymes to decreased muscular activity. Am J Physiol 225: 1295–1299. , , .
- 2006. Relative contributions of muscle activation and muscle size to plantarflexor torque during rehabilitation after immobilization. J Orthop Res 24: 1729–1736. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Muscle adaptations with immobilization and rehabilitation after ankle fracture. Med Sci Sports Exerc 36: 1695–1701. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Hypertrophy of chronically unloaded muscle subjected to resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol 96: 1451–1458. , , .
- 1998a. Longitudinal study of skeletal muscle adaptations during immobilization and rehabilitation. Muscle Nerve 21: 1006–1012. , , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Longitudinal study of skeletal muscle adaptations during immobilization and rehabilitation. Muscle Nerve 21: 1006–1012. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Fiber-type susceptibility to eccentric contraction-induced damage of hindlimb-unloaded rat AL muscles. J Appl Physiol 90: 770–776. , , , , .
- 1998. Sarcomere lesion damage occurs mainly in slow fibers of reloaded rat adductor longus muscles. J Appl Physiol 85: 1017–1023. , , .
- 1999. Effect of a 17 day spaceflight on contractile properties of human soleus muscle fibres. J Physiol 516(Pt 3): 915–930. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Functional properties of human muscle fibers after short-term resistance exercise training. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 283: R408–R416. , , , .
- 1992. Ankle injuries in athletes. Prim Care 19: 377–392. .
- 1990. Use of intermittent stretch in the prevention of serial sarcomere loss in immobilised muscle. Ann Rheum Dis 49: 316–317. .
- 2001. Maximal and submaximal forces of slow fibers in human soleus after bed rest. J Appl Physiol 91: 417–424. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Applied physiology of strength and power in old age. Int J Sports Med 15: 149–151. , .