Platelet-Derived Growth Factor Receptor-Alpha-Expressing Cells Localize to the Alveolar Entry Ring and Have Characteristics of Myofibroblasts During Pulmonary Alveolar Septal Formation†
Article first published online: 2 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 291, Issue 12, pages 1649–1661, December 2008
How to Cite
McGowan, S. E., Grossmann, R. E., Kimani, P. W. and Holmes, A. J. (2008), Platelet-Derived Growth Factor Receptor-Alpha-Expressing Cells Localize to the Alveolar Entry Ring and Have Characteristics of Myofibroblasts During Pulmonary Alveolar Septal Formation. Anat Rec, 291: 1649–1661. doi: 10.1002/ar.20764
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 2 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAR 2008
- Department of Veterans Affairs Research Service
- 1999. Developmental shift in the relative percentages of lung fibroblast subsets: role of apoptosis postseptation. Am J Physiol 277: L848–L859. , , , , .
- 2000. Multiparameter analysis of progeny of individual cells by laser scanning cytometry. Cytometry 40: 271–279. , , , , .
- 2002. PDGF-A/PDGF alpha-receptor signaling is required for lung growth and the formation of alveoli but not for early lung branching morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 223: 155–162. , , .
- 1996. PGDF-A signaling is a critical event is lung alveolar myofibroblast development and alveogenesis. Cell 85: 863–873. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Expression patterns of PDGF-A, -B, -C, and-D and the PDGF-receptors α and β in activated rat hepatic stellate cells (HSC). Cytokine 31: 349–357. , , , , , .
- 2005. PPARgamma agonists inhibit TGF-beta induced pulmonary myofibroblast differentiation and collagen production: implications for therapy of lung fibrosis. Am J Physiol 288: L1146–L1153. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Morphogenesis of the mammalian lung: aspects of structure and extracellular matrix. In: MassaroDJ,MassaroGD,ChambonP, editors. Lung development and regeneration. New York: Marcel Dekker. p 275–310. , .
- 1974. The postnatal growth of the rat lung. III. Morphology. Anat Rec 180: 77–98. .
- 2006. Structural aspects of postnatal lung development-alveolar formation and growth. Biol Neonate 89: 313–322. .
- 1993. Retinoic acid suppresses the response to platelet-derived growth factor in human hepatic Ito-cell-like myofibroblasts: a post-receptor mechanism independent of raf/fos/jun/egr activation. Biochem J 294: 785–791. , , .
- 2004. A specific requirement for PDGF-C in palate formation and PDGF-Rα signaling. Nat Genet 36: 1111–1116. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Evolutionary divergence of platelet derived growth factor alpha receptor signaling mechanisms. Mol Cell Biol 23: 4013–4025. , , , .
- 2005. Number estimation. In: Unbiased stereology. New York: BIOS Scientific. p 69–106. , .
- 1999. Roles of PDGF-A and sonic hedgehog in development of mesenchymal components of the hair follicle. Development 126: 2611–2621. , , .
- 2000. Abnormal gastrointestinal development in PDGF-A and PDGFR-α deficient mice implicates a novel mesenchymal structure with putative instructive properties in villus morphogenesis. Development 127: 3457–3466. , , , .
- 2002. An allelic series at the PDGFalphaR locus indicates unequal contributions of distinct signaling pathways during development. Dev Cell 2: 103–113. , , , .
- 1997. Alveogenesis failure in PDGF-A- deficient mice is coupled to lack of distal spreading of alveolar smooth muscle cell progenitors during lung development. Development 124: 3943–3953. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Changes in airflow obstruction and oxygen saturation in response to exercise and bronchodilators in cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol 8: 4–11. , .
- 1981. Isolation and characterization of the lipid-containing interstitial cell from the developing rat lung. Lab Invest 45: 248–259. , , .
- 2006. Impact of the loss of Hox5a function on lung alveogenesis. Am J Pathol 169: 1312–1327. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Peroxisome proliferators alter lipid acquisition and elastin gene expression in neonatal rat lung fibroblasts. Am J Physiol 273: L1249–L1257. , , , .
- 2007. Two-photon microscopy of vital murine elastic and muscular arteries. J Vasc Res 44: 87–98. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Hepatic stellate cells and liver fibrosis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 131: 1728–1734. .
- 2001. α-Actin: disposition, quantities, and estimated effects on lung recoil and compliance. J Appl Physiol 91: 459–473. , , , , .
- 2006. Rosiglitazone a peroxisome proliferator activated receptor agonist prevents hyperoxia-induced neonatal rat lung injury in vivo. Pediatr Pulmonol 41: 558–569. , , , , .
- 1970. A simple method for volumetry of organs in quantitative stereology. Mikroskopie 26: 57–60. .
- 2002. Insulin-like growth factor I receptor is downregulated after alveolarization in an apoptotic fibroblast subset. Am J Physiol 282: L457–L467. , , , .
- 2003. Collagen scaffolding during development and its deformation with chronic lung disease. Pediatrics 111: 766–776. , , , , .
- 2006. Lung development and susceptibility to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 3: 668–672. , , , .
- 1998. Specific expression in mouse mesoderm- and neural crest-derived tissues of a human PDGFRA promoter/lacZ transgene. Mech Dev 70: 167–180. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Force activates smooth muscle α-actin promoter activity through the Rho signaling pathway. J Cell Sci 120: 1801–1809. , , , , , .