Fax: 55 (11) 3091-7309.
The Estrous Cycle Modulates Small Leucine-Rich Proteoglycans Expression in Mouse Uterine Tissues
Article first published online: 24 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 292, Issue 1, pages 138–153, January 2009
How to Cite
Salgado, R. M., Favaro, R. R., Martin, S. S. and Zorn, T. M.T. (2009), The Estrous Cycle Modulates Small Leucine-Rich Proteoglycans Expression in Mouse Uterine Tissues. Anat Rec, 292: 138–153. doi: 10.1002/ar.20797
- Issue published online: 29 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 24 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2008
- FAPESP. Grant Number: 04/09947-1
- 1993. Implantation and decidualization in rodents. J Exp Zool 266: 603–628. ,
- 2003. Effect of adenovirus-mediated overexpression of decorin on metalloproteinases, tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases and cytokines secretion by human gingival fibroblasts. Matrix Biol 22: 251–258. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Colocalization of the collagen-binding proteoglycans decorin, biglycan, fibromodulin and lumican with different cells in human gingiva. J Periodontal Res 40: 73–86. , , , .
- 1927. The oestrous cycle in the mouse. Am J Anat 30: 297–371. .
- 2003. TGF beta 1 and biglycan, decorin, and fibromodulin metabolism in canine cartilage. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 11: 167–176. , , .
- 2001. Cyclic changes in the matrix metalloproteinase system in the ovary and uterus. Biol Reprod 64: 1285–1296. , .
- 2007. Fibroblast growth factor-9, a local regulator of ovarian function. Endocrinology 148: 3711–3721. , , , .
- 1977. Biology of the uterus. In: WynnRM, editor. The implantation reaction. New York: Plenum Press. p 245–308. .
- 1995. Antisera and cDNA probes to human and certain animal model bone matrix noncollagenous proteins. Acta Orthop Scand Suppl 266: 61–65. , , .
- 2007. Expression of syndecans, cell-cell interaction regulating heparan sulfate proteoglycans, within the human endometrium and their regulation throughout the menstrual cycle. Fertil Steril 87: 657–663. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ultrastructural cytochemical study of proteoglycans in the endometrium of pregnant mice using cationic dyes. Tissue Cell 30: 304–311. , , .
- 1961. Plasma levels of “free” progestin during the estrous cycle in the mouse. Endocrinology 68: 1006–1009. .
- 1994. Interaction of the small interstitial proteoglycans biglycan, decorin and fibromodulin with transforming growth factor beta. Biochem J 302 (Part 2): 527–534. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Leucine-rich repeat glycoproteins of the extracellular matrix. Matrix Biol 17: 1–19. , , .
- 1999. The biology of the small leucine-rich proteoglycans. Functional network of interactive proteins. J Biol Chem 274: 18843–18846. .
- 1996. Alterations in distribution and composition of the extracellular matrix during decidualization of the human endometrium. J Reprod Fertil 108: 147–155. , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of heparin/heparan sulfate interacting protein/ribosomal protein l29 during the estrous cycle and early pregnancy in the mouse. Biol Reprod 64: 1165–1175. , , , , , .
- 2006. Differential expression of uterine calcium transporter 1 and plasma membrane Ca2+ ATPase 1b during rat estrous cycle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291: E234–E241. , , , , .
- 2005. Progesterone-dependent release of transforming growth factor-beta1 from epithelial cells enhances the endometrial decidualization by turning on the Smad signaling in stromal cells. Mol Hum Reprod 11: 801–808. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Proteoglycans of the extracellular matrix and growth control. J Cell Physiol 189: 266–274. , .
- 2007. Uterine TRPV6 expression during the estrous cycle and pregnancy in a mouse model. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293: E132–E138. , .
- 2005. Fibromodulin is expressed in leiomyoma and myometrium and regulated by gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue therapy and TGF-beta through Smad and MAPK-mediated signalling. Mol Hum Reprod 11: 489–494. , , , , .
- 1969. Hormone secretion during early pregnancy in the mouse. J Endocrinol 45: 57–65. , .
- 2007. Characterization and distribution of hyaluronan and the proteoglycans decorin, biglycan and perlecan in the developing embryonic mouse gonad. J Anat 211: 16–25. , .
- 1988. Estradiol induces an accumulation of free heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans chains in uterine epithelium. Endocrinology 122: 242–253. , , .
- 1998. Autoradiography reveals regional metabolic differences in the endometrium of pregnant and nonpregnant mice. Braz J Med Biol Res 31: 307–312. , , .
- 1989. The implantation reaction. In: WynnRM,JollieWP, editors. Biology of the uterus.2nd ed. New York: Plenum Publishing Corporation. p 233–277. , .
- 1992. Changes in histochemical distribution of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycan in mouse uterus during the estrous cycle and early pregnancy. Anat Rec 234: 383–390. , .
- 2003. Immunohistochemical localization and expression of fibromodulin in the periodontium. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 83: 1682–1685. , , , .
- 2006. The structure and function of cartilage proteoglycans. Eur Cell Mater 12: 92–101. .
- 1991. Proteoglycans as modulators of growth factor activities. Cell 64: 867–869. , .
- 2003a. Small leucine-rich proteoglycans (SLRPs) in uterine tissues during pregnancy in mice. Reproduction 125: 585–595. , , , , , .
- 2003b. Distribution of versican and hyaluronan in the mouse uterus during decidualization. Braz J Med Biol Res 36: 1067–1071. , , .
- 2004. Perlecan and Syndecan-4 in uterine tissues during the early pregnancy in mice. Am J Reprod Immunol 52: 53–59. , , .
- 1997. Ectopic expression of decorin protein core causes a generalized growth suppression in neoplastic cells of various histogenetic origin and requires endogenous p21, an inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinases. J Clin Invest 100: 149–157. , , , , , .
- 2000. Small proteoglycans of normal adult human kidney: distinct expression patterns of decorin, biglycan, fibromodulin, and lumican. Kidney Int 58: 1557–1568. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Biological functions of the small leucine-rich proteoglycans: from genetics to signal transduction. J Biol Chem 283: 21305–21309. , .
- 1941. A new technique for staining vaginal smears: a single differential stain. Science 94: 545–546. .
- 2007. Collagen types I, III, and V constitute the thick collagen fibrils of the mouse decidua. Microsc Res Tech 70: 18–25. , .
- 2007. Changes in fibrillin-1 in the endometrium during the early stages of pregnancy in mice. Cells Tissues Organs 185: 258–268. , .
- 1999. Fibromodulin-null mice have abnormal collagen fibrils, tissue organization, and altered lumican deposition in tendon. J Biol Chem 274: 9636–9647. , , , , , .
- 1984. Specific inhibition of type I and type II collagen fibrilogenesis by the small proteoglycan of tendon. Biochem J 222: 587–597. , , .
- 1987. The effect of proteoglycan on the morphology of collagen fibrils formed in vitro. Coll Relat Res 7: 105–114. , .
- 1988. Expression of human proteoglycan in Chinese hamster ovary cells inhibits cell proliferation. Nature 336: 244–246. , .
- 2003. Estradiol receptor binding to the epithelium of uterine lumen and glands: region- and time-related changes during preimplantation and periimplantation periods studied by autoradiography. Histochem Cell Biol 120: 1–12. , , , , .
- 1995. Biosynthesis of glycosaminoglycans in the endometrium during the initial stages of pregnancy of the mouse. Cell Mol Biol 41: 97–106. , , , , , .