Fax: +55 21 2587-6121
The Impact of Dietary Organic and Transgenic Soy on the Reproductive System of Female Adult Rat
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 292, Issue 4, pages 587–594, April 2009
How to Cite
Brasil, F. B., Soares, L. L., Faria, T. S., Boaventura, G. T., Sampaio, F. J. B. and Ramos, C. F. (2009), The Impact of Dietary Organic and Transgenic Soy on the Reproductive System of Female Adult Rat. Anat Rec, 292: 587–594. doi: 10.1002/ar.20878
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Received: 20 APR 2008
- 1996. Soybean isoflavones improve cardiovascular risk factors without affecting the reproductive system of peripubertal rhesus monkeys. J Nutr 126: 43–50. , , , , .
- 2005. Dietary soy protein and isoflavones: minimal beneficial effects on bone and no effect on the reproductive tract of sexually mature ovariectomized Sprague-Dawley rats. Menopause 12: 165–173. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Phytoestrogens and lipoproteins in women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91: 2209–2213. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Revised guide for the care and use of laboratory animals available. Physiologist 39: 208–211. .
- 1996. Connective tissues and stains. In: BancroftJD, StevensA, editors. Theory and practice of histological techniques, 4th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone. p 113–138. , .
- 2006. Effect of isoflavone administration on age-related hepatocyte changes in old ovariectomized femal Wistar rats. Phytomedicine 13: 468–476. , , , , .
- 2002. A Role for the androgen receptor in follicular atresia of estrogen receptor beta knockout mouse ovary. Biol Reprod 66: 77–84. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Role of soy isoflavones in the hypotriglyceridemic effect of soy protein in the rat. J Nutr Biochem 13: 671–677. , , , .
- 2001. Soy protein intake by perimenopausal women does not affect circulating lipids and lipoproteins or coagulation and fibrinolytic factors. J Nutr 131: 2280–2287. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Modest hormonal effects of soy isoflavones in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84: 3479–3484. , , , , , .
- 2005. Blood lipid and oxidative stress responses to soy protein with isoflavones and phytic acid in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 81: 590–596. , , , , .
- 2001. The effect of soy protein with or without isoflavones relative to milk protein on plasma lipids in hypercholesterolemic postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 73: 728–735. , , , .
- 2003. Food biotechnology: is this good or bad? Implications to allergic diseases. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90: 90–98. .
- 2007. Soy isoflavone supplementation and fasting serum glucose and lipid profile among postmenopausal Chinese women: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Menopause 14: 905–912. , , , .
- 2006. Neonatal genistein treatment alters ovarian differentiation in the mouse: inhibition of oocyte nest breakdown and increased oocyte survival. Biol Reprod 74: 161–168. , , , .
- 2005. Adverse effects on female development and reproduction in CD-1 mice following neonatal exposure to the phytoestrogen genistein at environmentally relevant doses. Biol Reprod 73: 798–806. , , .
- 2002. Neonatal exposure to genistein induces estrogen receptor (ER)alpha expression and multioocyte follicles in the maturing mouse ovary: evidence for ERbeta-mediated and nonestrogenic actions. Biol Reprod 67: 1285–1296. , , , , .
- 2003 Determining whether transgenic and endogenous plant DNA and transgenic protein are detectable in muscle from swine fed Roundup Ready soybean meal. J Anim Sci 81: 1447–1455. , , , , , , , .
- 2002 Soy isoflavones increase latency of spontaneous mammary tumors in mice. J Nutr 132: 3186–3190. , .
- 2006. Randomized clinical trial comparing conjugated equine estrogens and isoflavones in postmenopausal women: a pilot study. Maturitas 53: 49–58. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Use of alternative and complementary medicine in menopause. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 79: 195–207. , , .
- 2006. Decreases in serum triacylglycerol and visceral fat mediated by dietary soybean beta-conglycinin. J Atheroscler Thromb 13: 247–255. , , , .
- 2001. Determination of isoflavones in soy and selected foods containing soy by extraction, saponification, and liquid chromatography: collaborative study. J AOAC Int 84: 1865–1883. , , , .
- 2002. Clinical risk assessment of GM foods. Toxicol Lett 127: 337–340. .
- 2000. Phytoestrogens and cardiovascular health. J Am Coll Cardiol 35: 1403–1410. , .
- 2005. Low-dose dietary phytoestrogen abrogates tamoxifen-associated mammary tumor prevention. Cancer Res 65: 879–886. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of soya consumption for one month on steroid hormones in premenopausal women: implications for breast cancer risk reduction. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 5: 63–70. , , , .
- 2008. Soy isoflavone intake inhibits bone resorption and stimulates bone formation in menopausal women: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur J Clin Nutr 62: 155–161. , , , .
- 2003. Putting the safety of organic Food into perspective. Nutr Res Rev 16: 241–252. , , .
- 2003. Stereological tools in biomedical research. An Acad Bras Cienc 75: 469–486. .
- 2007. Effects of the phytoestrogen genistein on bone metabolism in osteopenic postmenopausal women: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 146: 839–847. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Acute, subchronic and chronic safety studies with genistein in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 44: 56–80. , , , , , .
- 1997. Decreased serum estradiol concentration associated with high dietary intake of soy products in premenopausal Japanese women. Nutr Cancer 29: 228–233. , , , .
- 2006. Phytoestrogens and their metabolites inhibit the sensitivity of the bovine corpus luteum to luteotropic factors. J Reprod Dev 52: 33–41. , , , , , , .
- 2007a. Effects of dietary equol on body weight gain, intra-abdominal fat accumulation, plasma lipids, and glucose tolerance in ovariectomized Sprague-Dawley rats. Menopause 14: 925–932. , , , .
- 2007b. Dietary daidzein and puerarin do not affect pituitary LH expression but exert uterotropic effects in ovariectomized rats. Maturitas 57: 161–170. , , , .
- 1993. AIN-93 purified diets for laboratory rodents: final report of the American Institute of Nutrition Ad Hoc Writing Committee on the reformulation of the AIN-76 rodent diet. J Nutr 123: 1939–1951. , , .
- 2004. Detection and quantification of roundup ready soy in foods by conventional and real-time polymerase chain reaction. J Agric Food Chem 52: 5223–5232. , , , .
- 2006. Detection of transgenic and endogenous plant DNA in digesta and tissues of sheep and pigs fed Roundup Ready canola meal. J Agric Food Chem 54: 1699–1709. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Phytoestrogens do not influence lipoprotein levels or endothelial function in healthy, postmenopausal women. Am J Cardiol 85: 1297–1301. , , .
- 2005. Can organic and transgenic soy be used as a substitute for animal protein by rats? Braz J Med Biol Res 38: 583–586. , , .
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. New York: WH Freeman. p 887. , .
- 2007. Soy protein for infant feeding: what do we know? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 10: 360–365. .
- 2006. Effects of high-dose soy isoflavones and equol on reproductive tissues in female cynomolgus monkeys. Biol Reprod 75: 477–486. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Soy isoflavonoid effects on endogenous estrogen metabolism in postmenopausal female monkeys. Carcinogenesis 28: 801–808. , , .