Chen Li and Shu Yang are co-first authors.
Demyelination Induces the Decline of the Myelinated Fiber Length in Aged Rat White Matter
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 292, Issue 4, pages 528–535, April 2009
How to Cite
Li, C., Yang, S., Zhang, W., Lu, W., Nyengaard, J. R., Morrison, J. H. and Tang, Y. (2009), Demyelination Induces the Decline of the Myelinated Fiber Length in Aged Rat White Matter. Anat Rec, 292: 528–535. doi: 10.1002/ar.20884
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 19 NOV 2008
- Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 30440082, 30572075
- Natural Science Foundation of Chongqing Government. Grant Number: 2005BB5034
- Ministry of Personnel
- Ministry of Education
- Committee of Education
- Chongqing Government
- People's Republic of China
- Danish Council for Strategic Research
- MIND Center from Lundbeck Foundation
- 1993. Neuropsychological and neurophysiological changes in healthy adult humans across the age range. Neurobiol Aging 14: 623–625. .
- 1983. Neuropsychological changes in healthy adults across the age range. Neurobiol Aging 14: 623–625. , , , .
- 1955. Organization of the cerebral cortex (III): a study of aging in the human cerebral cortex. J Comp Neurol 102: 511–556. .
- 1994. Age dependent white matter lesions and brain volume changes in healthy volunteers. Acta Radiol 35: 117–122. , , , , .
- 1972. The elderly brain. A quantitative analysis in the cerebral cortex of two cases. Psychiatr Neurol Neurochir 75: 261–270. .
- 1980. Neuron loss in the aging visual cortex of man. J Gerontol 35: 836–841. , .
- 2003. The neurobiology of memory changes in normal aging. Exp Gerontol 38: 61–69. , .
- 1977. Notes on the estimation of the numerical density of arbitrary particles: the edge effect. J Microsc 111: 219–223. .
- 1988a. Some new, simple and efficient stereological methods and their use in pathological research and diagnosis. AMPIS 96: 379–394. . , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988b. The new stereological tools: disector, fractionator, nucleator and point sampled intercepts and their use in pathological research and diagnosis. APMIS 96: 857–881. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. White matter changes with normal aging. Neurology 50: 972–978. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Are neurons of the human cerebral cortex really lost during aging? A morphometric examination. In: TraberJ, GispenWH, editors. Senile dementia of the Alzheimer type. Berlin: Springer-Verlag Press. p 150–163. .
- 1980. Cell counts in human cerebral cortex in normal adults throughout life using an image analysing computer. J Neurol Sci 46: 113–136. , , .
- 2001. Effects of age on tissues and regions of the cerebrum and cerebellum. Neurobiol Aging 22: 581–594. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Marked loss of myelinated fibers in human brain with age. J Comp Neurol 462: 144–152. , , , .
- 1990. Efficient estimation of cell volume and number using the nucleator and the disector. J Microsc 159: 61–71. , , .
- 1992. The isector: a simple and direct method for generating isotropic, uniform random sections from small specimens. J Microsc 165: 427–431. , .
- 1997. Neocortical neuron number in humans: effect of sex and age. J Comp Neurol 384: 312–320. , .
- 2003. The number, size, and type of axons in rat subcortical white matter on left and right sides: a stereological, ultrastructural study. J Neurocytol 32: 1165–1179. , , .
- 1991. The fine structure of the nervous system, neurons and their supporting cells. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press. , , .
- 1973. Absolute number of neurons and thickness of the cerebral cortex during aging, senile and vascular dementia, and Pick's and Alzheimer's diseases. Neurosci Behav Physiol 6: 319–324. .
- 1984. The unbiased estimation of number and sizes of arbitrary particles using the disector. J Microsc 134: 127–136. .
- 1997. A stereological method for estimating the total length and size of myelin fibers in human brain white matter. J Neurosci Meth 73: 193–200. , .
- 2004. Length estimation of nerve fibers in human white matter using IUR sections. In: EvansSM, JansonAM, NyengaardJR. editors. Quantitative methods in neuroscience—a neuroanatomical approach. New York: Oxford University Press. p 249–263. , .
- 1997. Age-induced white matter changes in the human brain: a stereological investigation. Neurobiol Aging 18: 609–615. , , , .
- 2003. Stereology of neuronal connections (myelinated fibers of white matter and synapses of neocortex) in human brain. Image Anal Stereol 20: 171–182. , , , .
- 1987. Neocortical cell counts in normal human adult aging. Ann Neurol 21: 530–539. , , .