Fax: +45 8949 9956.
Morphometry and Stereology
The Application of Stereological Methods for Estimating Structural Parameters in the Human Heart
Version of Record online: 27 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 292, Issue 10, pages 1630–1647, October 2009
How to Cite
Tang, Y., Nyengaard, J. R., Andersen, J. B., Baandrup, U. and Gundersen, H. J. G. (2009), The Application of Stereological Methods for Estimating Structural Parameters in the Human Heart. Anat Rec, 292: 1630–1647. doi: 10.1002/ar.20952
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 27 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 19 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 27 JAN 2009
- Danish Medical Association Research Fund
- Beckett Foundation
- Danish Heart Foundation
- The Danish Medical Research Council
- Danish Council for Strategic Research
- Aarhus University Research Foundation
- 2000. Capillary/myocyte mismatch in the heart in renal failure-a role for erythropoietin? Nephrol Dial Transplant 15: 964–969. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Stereological measurement of cellular and subcellular hypertrophy and hyperplasia in the papillary-muscle of adult-rat. J Mol Cell Cardiol 12: 781–795. , , , .
- 1995. A stereological method for estimating the total number of ventricular myocyte nuclei in fetal and postnatal hearts. J Anat 187 ( Part 3): 641–647. , , .
- 1986. Estimation of surface area from vertical sections. J Microsc 142: 259–276. , , .
- 1995. Unbiased estimation of capillary length from vertical slices. J Microsc 178: 152–159. , , .
- 1990. The total number of neurons in the human neocortex unbiasedly estimated using optical disectors. J Microsc 157: 285–304. , , , .
- 2007. Growth hormone increases the proliferation of existing cardiac myocytes and the total number of cardiac myocytes in the rat heart. Cardiovasc Res 76: 400–408. , , .
- 2005. Design-based stereological estimation of the total number of cardiac myocytes in histological sections. Basic Res Cardiol 100: 311–319. , .
- 2002. Growth hormone increases the total number of cardiac myocyte nuclei in young rats but not in old rats. Mech Ageing Dev 123: 1353–1362. , , .
- 2005. The total length of myocytes and capillaries, and total number of myocyte nuclei in the rat heart are time-dependently increased by growth hormone. Growth Horm IGF Res 15: 256–264. , , .
- 1986. Proliferation of cardiomyocytes and interstitial-cells in the cardiac-muscle of the mouse during prenatal and postnatal-development. Cell Tissue Kinet 19: 267–274. , .
- 1977. Sampling techniques. 3rd ed. New York: Wiley. .
- 1968. Curvature and the topological properties of interconnected phases. In: DehoffRT, RhinesFN, editors. Quantitative microscopy. New York: Mcgraw-Hill Book Company. p 291–325. .
- 1987. Use of the disector to estimate the Euler characteristic of three dimensional microstructures. Acta Stereologica 16: 133–140. .
- 2001. Tissue shrinkage and unbiased stereological estimation of particle number and size. J Microsc 204: 232–246. , , .
- 2008. Effect of voluntary exercise on number and volume of cardiomyocytes and their mitochondria in the mouse left ventricle. Basic Res Cardiol 103: 12–21. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Changes in nuclear size of cardiac myocytes during the development and progression of hypertrophy in rats. Cardioscience 5: 203–208. , , .
- 1992. Estimation of length density Lv from vertical slices of unknown thickness. J Microsc 167: 1–8. .
- 1993. Hypertrophy or hyperplasia in cardiac-muscle—postmortem human morphometric study. Eur Heart J 14: 40–47. , , , , , .
- 1977. Notes on estimation of numerical density of arbitrary profiles—edge effect. J Microsc 111: 219–223. .
- 1986. Stereology of arbitrary particles—a review of unbiased number and size estimators and the presentation of some new ones, in memory of Thompson, William, R. J Microsc 143: 3–45. .
- 1988. The nucleator. J Microsc 151: 3–21. .
- 1988. Some new, simple and efficient stereological methods and their use in pathological research and diagnosis—review article. APMIS 96: 379–394. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The conneulor—unbiased estimation of connectivity using physical dissectors under projection. Bone 14: 217–222. , , , .
- 1985. Stereological estimation of the volume-weighted mean volume of arbitrary particles observed on random sections. J Microsc1: 127–142. , .
- 1987. The efficiency of systematic-sampling in stereology and its prediction. J Microsc 147: 229–263. , .
- 1999. The efficiency of systematic sampling in stereology-reconsidered. J Microsc 193: 199–211. , , , .
- 1969. Fehler der Volumermittlung aus der Flächenrelation in dicken Schnitten (Holmes-Effekt). Mikroskopie 25: 54–174. .
- 1994. Topology and dimensions of pig coronary capillary network. Am J Physiol 267: H319–H325. , .
- 1982. The closest-individual method in the analysis of the distribution of capillaries. Microvasc Res 24: 326–341. , , , .
- 1983. Sampling problems in an heterogeneous organ—quantitation of relative and total volume of pancreatic-islets by light-microscopy. J Microsc 132: 43–55. , .
- 1977. How to quantify skeletal muscle capillarity. Adv Exp Med Biol 94: 41–48. , , .
- 1978. Absolute morphometric study of myocardial hypertrophy in experimental-hypertension.1. Determination of myocyte size. Lab Invest 38: 586–596. , , , .
- 1990. Capillary neoformation in the rat-heart—stereological studies on papillary-muscles in hypertrophy and physiological growth. Basic Res Cardiol 85: 531–540. , , , .
- 1993. An update of the stereology of the myocyte of the baboons heart—analysis of the crista-terminalis, interatrial and interventricular septa, and atrioventricular bundle. Ann Anat-Anatomischer Anzeiger 175: 65–70. , .
- 1984. Estimation of length and surface of anisotropic capillaries. J Microsc 135: 181–190. , .
- 1990. Estimation of surface-area and length with the orientator. J Microsc 159: 301–317. , , , .
- 1985. Orthogonal triplet probes—an efficient method for unbiased estimation of length and surface of objects with unknown orientation in space. J Microsc 139: 279–289. , , .
- 1997. Stereological estimates of nuclear number in human ventricular cardiomyocytes before and after birth obtained using physical disectors. J Anat 191 ( Part 1): 107–115. , , , .
- 1988. Application of the cavalieri principle and vertical sections method to lung—estimation of volume and pleural surface-area. J Microsc 150: 117–136. , .
- 2009. A review of state-of-the-art stereology for better quantitative 3D morphology in cardiac research. Cardiovasc Pathol (in press). , , .
- 1993a. Number and dimensions of rat glomerular capillaries in normal development and after nephrectomy. Kidney Int 43: 1049–1057. .
- 1993b. The quantitative development of glomerular capillaries in rats with special reference to unbiased stereological estimates of their number and sizes. Microvasc Res 45: 243–261. .
- 1988. Stereological estimation of the number of capillaries, exemplified by renal glomeruli. APMIS 96: 92–99. , , .
- 1992. The isector—a simple and direct method for generating isotropic, uniform random sections from small specimens. J Microsc 165: 427–431. , .
- 1993. The number of glomerular capillaries estimated by an unbiased and efficient stereological method. J Microsc 171: 27–37. , .
- 1993. The impact of experimental diabetes-mellitus in rats on glomerular capillary number and sizes. Diabetologia 36: 189–194. , .
- 1989. Long-term pressure-induced cardiac-hypertrophy—capillary and mast-cell proliferation. Am J Physiol 257: H1766–H1772. , , , , , .
- 1987. Hyperplasia of myocyte nuclei in long-term cardiac-hypertrophy in rats. J Clin Invest 80: 1818–1821. , , .
- 1994. Stereological estimation of capillary length exemplied by changes in renal glomeruli in experimental diabetes. In: ReithA, MayhewTM, editors. Stereology and morphometry in electron microscopy, problems and solutions. New York: Hemisphere. p 113–122. , .
- 2000. Influence of the chronic nitric oxide synthesis inhibition on cardiomyocytes number. Virchows Arch 437: 667–674. , .
- 1992. Morphometry of human coronary capillaries during normal growth and the effect of age in left-ventricular pressure-overload hypertrophy. Circulation 86: 46. , , , , .
- 1986. Merits and pitfalls in morphological assessment of cardiac growth. Federation Proc 45: 2580–2584. , , , .
- 1984. The unbiased estimation of number and sizes of arbitrary particles using the dissector. J Microsc 134: 127–136. .
- 1997. A stereological method for estimating the total length and size of myelin fibers in human brain white matter. J Neurosci Methods 73: 193–200. , .
- 1986. Morphometry of canine coronary-arteries, arterioles, and capillaries during hypertension and left-ventricular hypertrophy. Circulation Res 58: 46. , , , , , .
- 1991. Capillary growth and geometry during long-term hypertension and myocardial hypertrophy in dogs. Am J Physiol 261: H1011–H1018. , , .
- 2007. Stereology: a simplified and more time-efficient method than planimetry for the quantitative analysis of vascular structures in different models of intimal thickening. Cardiovasc Pathol 16: 43–50. , , , , , .
- 1987. Morphometric quantification of myocyte dimensions validated in normal growing-rat hearts and applied to hypertrophic human hearts. Cardiovasc Res 21: 352–357. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Capillary surface-area is reduced and tissue thickness from capillaries to myocytes is increased in the left-ventricle of streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Diabetologia 38: 413–421. , , .
- 1991. Unbiased stereological estimation of the total number of neurons in the subdivisions of the rat hippocampus using the optical fractionator. Anat Rec 231: 482–497. , , .