The Developmental Remodeling of Eye-Specific Afferents in the Ferret Dorsal Lateral Geniculate Nucleus
Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 293, Issue 1, pages 1–24, January 2010
How to Cite
Speer, C. M., Mikula, S., Huberman, A. D. and Chapman, B. (2010), The Developmental Remodeling of Eye-Specific Afferents in the Ferret Dorsal Lateral Geniculate Nucleus. Anat Rec, 293: 1–24. doi: 10.1002/ar.21001
- Issue online: 28 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 12 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JAN 2009
- NIH. Grant Numbers: EY11369, MH077556
- 2004. Spatial and temporal properties of visual responses in the thalamus of the developing ferret. J Neurosci 24: 170–182. , , .
- 2002. Visual experience before eye-opening and the development of the retinogeniculate pathway. Neuron 36: 869–879. , , .
- 2003. Relay of visual information to the lateral geniculate nucleus and the visual cortex in albino ferrets. J Comp Neurol 461: 217–235. , , , , .
- 1996. Anterograde axonal tracing with the subunit B of cholera toxin: a highly sensitive immunohistochemical protocol for revealing fine axonal morphology in adult and neonatal brains. J Neurosci Methods 65: 101–112. , , .
- 2006. Neuronal pentraxins mediate synaptic refinement in the developing visual system. J Neurosci 26: 6269–6281. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Ephrin-as guide the formation of functional maps in the visual cortex. Neuron 48: 577–589. , , , , , .
- 2005b. Development of precise maps in visual cortex requires patterned spontaneous activity in the retina. Neuron 48: 797–809. , , , , , .
- 2000. Necessity for afferent activity to maintain eye-specific segregation in ferret lateral geniculate nucleus. Science 287: 2479–2482. .
- 1999. The role of spontaneous retinal activity before eye opening in the maturation of form and function in the retinogeniculate pathway of the ferret. Vis Neurosci 16: 491–501. , , .
- 1997. Blockade of afferent impulse activity disrupts on/off sublamination in the ferret lateral geniculate nucleus. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 98: 287–290. , .
- 1984. The development of the retinogeniculate pathways in normal and albino ferrets. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 223: 141–164. , .
- 2006. Failure to maintain eye-specific segregation in nob, a mutant with abnormally patterned retinal activity. Neuron 50: 247–259. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Retinal projections to the subcortical visual system in congenic albino and pigmented rats. Neuroscience 143: 895–904. , , .
- 1970. The laminar distribution of retinal fibers in the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus of the cat: a new interpretation. J Comp Neurol 138: 339–367. .
- 1985. The influence of retinal afferents upon the development of layers in the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus of mustelids. J Neurosci 5: 1370–1379. , , , .
- 1999. Pattern formation by retinal afferents in the ferret lateral geniculate nucleus: developmental segregation and the role of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors. J Comp Neurol 411: 327–345. , , .
- 1991. Disruption of retinogeniculate afferent segregation by antagonists to NMDA receptors. Nature 351: 568–570. , , .
- 1991. Projection of the mammalian superior colliculus upon the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus: organization of tectogeniculate pathways in nineteen species. J Comp Neurol 304: 275–306. , , , .
- 1974. An autoradiographic study of retinogeniculate pathways in the cat and the fox. J Comp Neurol 156: 239–253. , .
- 2007. Mechanisms of eye-specific visual circuit development. Curr Opin Neurobiol 17: 73–80. .
- 2005a. Early and rapid targeting of eye-specific axonal projections to the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus in the fetal macaque. J Neurosci 25: 4014–4023. , , , , .
- 2008a. Mechanisms underlying development of visual maps and receptive fields. Annu Rev Neurosci 31: 479–509. , , .
- 2008b. Architecture and activity-mediated refinement of axonal projections from a mosaic of genetically identified retinal ganglion cells. Neuron 59: 425–438. , , , , , , , .
- 2005b. Ephrin-As mediate targeting of eye-specific projections to the lateral geniculate nucleus. Nat Neurosci 8: 1013–1021. , , , , .
- 2006. Spontaneous retinal activity mediates development of ocular dominance columns and binocular receptive fields in v1. Neuron 52: 247–254. , , .
- 2002. Decoupling eye-specific segregation from lamination in the lateral geniculate nucleus. J Neurosci 22: 9419–9429. , , .
- 2003. Eye-specific retinogeniculate segregation independent of normal neuronal activity. Science 300: 994–998. , , , , , .
- 1990. Development of the lateral geniculate nucleus: interactions between retinal afferent, cytoarchitectonic, and glial cell process lamination in ferrets and tree shrews. J Comp Neurol 298: 113–128. , .
- 2005. Structural and functional composition of the developing retinogeniculate pathway in the mouse. Vis Neurosci 22: 661–676. , , , , , .
- 1993. Prenatal development of axon outgrowth and connectivity in the ferret visual system. Vis Neurosci 10: 117–130. , .
- 2004. Molecular organization of the ferret visual thalamus. J Neurosci 24: 9962–9970. , , , .
- 2008. A precisely timed asynchronous pattern of ON and OFF retinal ganglion cell activity during propagation of retinal waves. Neuron 58: 851–858. , .
- 2008. Molecular identification of a retinal cell type that responds to upward motion. Nature 452: 478–482. , , , , .
- 2002. Segregation of ON and OFF retinogeniculate connectivity directed by patterned spontaneous activity. J Neurophysiol 88: 2311–2321. , , .
- 2003. Spontaneous activity of morphologically identified ganglion cells in the developing ferret retina. J Neurosci 23: 7343–7350. , , , .
- 1981. The dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus of the normal ferret and its postnatal development. J Comp Neurol 203: 189–211. , , .
- 1998. Target-specific morphology of retinal axon arbors in the adult hamster. Vis Neurosci 15: 559–579. , , .
- 1986. Quantitative comparison of retinal synapses in the dorsal and ventral (parvicellular) C laminae of the cat dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus. J Comp Neurol 248: 57–73. , , .
- 1993. The segregation of ON- and OFF-center responses in the lateral geniculate nucleus of normal and monocularly enucleated ferrets. Vis Neurosci 10: 303–311. , .
- 2002. Retinogeniculate axons undergo eye-specific segregation in the absence of eye-specific layers. J Neurosci 22: 5259–5264. , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms underlying developmental changes in the firing patterns of ON and OFF retinal ganglion cells during refinement of their central projections. J Neurosci 21: 8664–8671. , , .
- 2005. Ventral lateral geniculate nucleus projects to the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus in the cat. Neuroreport 16: 1575–1578. , , , .
- 2006. Simple fall-off pattern of correlated neural activity in the developing lateral geniculate nucleus. Nat Neurosci 9: 1541–1548. , .
- 1998. Competition in retinogeniculate patterning driven by spontaneous activity. Science 279: 2108–2112. , , , .
- 1997. ImageJ. Bethesda, Maryland: National Institutes of Health. Available at: http://rab.info.nih.gov/ig, 2005. .
- 1994. Expression of a keratin sulfate proteoglycan during development of the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus in the ferret. J Comp Neurol 340: 349–360. , .
- 1989. Terminal arbors of single ON-center and OFF-center X and Y retinal ganglion cell axons within the ferret's lateral geniculate nucleus. J Comp Neurol 288: 208–242. , , .
- 1974. Lamination of the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus in carnivores of the weasel (Mustelidae), raccoon (Procyonidae) and fox (Canidae) families. J Comp Neurol 153: 238–266. .
- 1984. Prenatal development of functional connections in the cat's retinogeniculate pathway. J Neurosci 4: 1378–1397. , .
- 2002. An instructive role for retinal waves in the development of retinogeniculate connectivity. Neuron 33: 357–367. , .
- 1983. On and off sublaminae in the lateral geniculate nucleus of the ferret. J Neurosci 3: 1943–1951. , .
- 2000. Diverse receptive fields in the lateral geniculate nucleus during thalamocortical development. Nat Neurosci 3: 608–616. , .
- 1998. A pyramid approach to subpixel registration based on intensity. IEEE Trans Image Process 7: 27–41. , , .
- 1993. The effects of monocular enucleation on ganglion cell number and terminal distribution in the ferret's retinal pathway. Eur J Neurosci 5: 357–367. , , .
- 2004. Unbiased analysis of bulk axonal segregation patterns. J Neurosci Methods 135: 17–26. , .
- 2005. Spontaneous patterned retinal activity and the refinement of retinal projections. Prog Neurobiol 76: 213–235. , .
- 2005. High frequency, synchronized bursting drives eye-specific segregation of retinogeniculate projections. Nat Neurosci 8: 72–78. , , .
- 1981. Organization of the projection from the superior colliculus to the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus of the cat. Neuroscience 6: 1341–1360. , , .
- 1999. Regularized marching tetrahedra: improved iso-surface extraction. Comput Graph 23: 583–598. , , .
- 1999. Recording and manipulating the in vivo correlational structure of neuronal activity during visual cortical development. J Neurobiol 41: 25–32. .
- 1999. Correlational structure of spontaneous neuronal activity in the developing lateral geniculate nucleus in vivo. Science 285: 599–604. , .
- 2001. Growth dynamics of the developing lateral geniculate nucleus. J Comp Neurol 430: 332–342. , .
- 2002. Role of retinal afferents in regulating growth and shape of the lateral geniculate nucleus. J Comp Neurol 445: 269–277. , , .
- 1975. Evidence of W-cell input to the cat's visual cortex via the C laminae of the lateral geniculate nucleus. Brain Res 92: 472–478. , .
- 1976. Properties of relay cells in cat's lateral geniculate nucleus: a comparison of W-cells with X- and Y-cells. J Neurophysiol 39: 1193–1209. , , .
- 1996. Changing patterns of spontaneous bursting activity of on and off retinal ganglion cells during development. Neuron 16: 1087–1095. , .
- 1985. The projection of the visual field onto the lateral geniculate nucleus of the ferret. J Comp Neurol 241: 210–224. , .
- 2006. Loss of binocular responses and reduced retinal convergence during the period of retinogeniculate axon segregation. J Neurophysiol 96: 2775–2784. , .