Full Length Article
Histological, Immunocytochemical, and Morphometrical Analyses of Pancreatic Islets in the BSB Mouse Model of Obesity
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 293, Issue 1, pages 108–116, January 2010
How to Cite
Slavin, B. G., Zarow, C., Warden, C. H. and Fisler, J. S. (2010), Histological, Immunocytochemical, and Morphometrical Analyses of Pancreatic Islets in the BSB Mouse Model of Obesity. Anat Rec, 293: 108–116. doi: 10.1002/ar.21019
- Issue published online: 28 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 3 DEC 2008
- 1978. Alteration of islet cell populations in spontaneously diabetic mice. Diabetes 27: 1–7. , , , , , .
- 1952. Familial diabetes mellitus in mice, associated with insulin resistance, obesity and hyperplasia of the islands of Langerhans. Am J Pathol 28: 369–385. , , .
- 2003. Increased islet volume but unchanged islet number in ob/ob mice. Diabetes 52: 1716–1722. , , .
- 1972. Obesity and pancreatic islet hyperplasia in the Mongolian gerbil. Diabetologia 8: 274–282. .
- 2000. Islet growth and development in the adult. J Molec Endocrinol 24: 297–302. .
- 2000. In vivo islets from expanded ductal tissue. PNAS 97: 7999–8004. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Pancreatic stem cells. J Pathol 197: 519–526. , .
- 2004. The pancreatic ductal epithelium as a potential pool of progenitor cells. Pediatr Diabet 5 ( Suppl 2): 16–22. , , , , , , .
- 1980. Experimental diets affect pancreatic insulin and glucagon differently in male and female mice. Metabolism 29: 386–391. .
- 1982. Different effects of high-glucose and high-fat diet on pancreatic insulin and glucagon in female and male mice. Diabetes Metab 8: 271–277. .
- 1979. Hypothalamic and genetic obesity in experimental animals: an autonomic and endocrine hypothesis. Physiol Rev 59: 719–809. , .
- 1989. Possible connections between stress, diabetes, hypertension and altered lipoprotein metabolism that mah result in athersclerosis. Clin Sci 77: 453–461. , .
- 1993. Stress and lipoprotein metabolism: modulators and mechanism. Metabolism 42 ( Suppl 1): 3–15. , , , , .
- 1981. Islet cells grow after transplantation of fetal pancreas and control of diabetes. Diabetes 30: 9–13. , , , .
- 1997. Development of a novel polygenic model of NIDDM in mice heterozygous for IR and IR-1 null alleles. Cell 88: 561–572. , , , , , .
- 2003. Beta-cell deficit and increased beta-cell apoptosis in humans with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 52: 102–110. , , , , , .
- 2005 β-Cell function in morbidly obese subjects during free living. 2005. Diabetes 54: 2382–2389. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Intra-islet somatostatin regulates glucagon release via Type 2 somatostatin receptors in rats. Diabetes 53: 1176–1181. , , .
- 2008. Maternal and postnatal overnutrition differentially impact appetite regulators and fuel metabolism. Endocrinology 149: 5348–5356. , , , , .
- 1995. Enhanced sensitivity of pancreatic islets from preobese 2-week-old ob/ob mice to neurohormonal stimulation of insulin secretion. Endocrinology 136: 505–511. , .
- 1978. Obese and diabetes: two mutant genes causing diabetes-obesity syndromes in mice. Diabetologia 14: 141–148. .
- 1973. The influence of genetic background on the expression of the obese (Ob) gene in the mouse. Diabetologia 9: 287–293. , .
- 1997. Pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes: metabolic and molecular implications for identifying diabetes genes. Diabetes Rev 5: 178–269. .
- 2004. Islet neogenesis: an apparent key component of long-term pancreas adaptation to increased insulin demand. J Endocinol 183: 321–330. , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Somatostatin in the pancreas and hypothalamus of obese mice. Diabetologia 17: 257–261. , , .
- 2004. Adult pancreatic beta-cells are formed by self-duplication rather than stem-cell differentiation. Nature 429: 41–46. , , , .
- 1998. Vagotomy in young obese hyperglycemic mice: effects on syndrome development and isles proliferation. Am J Physiol 274: E1034–E1039. , .
- 1997. Insulin resistance and hypersecretion in obesity. J Clin Invest 100: 1166–1173. , , , , , .
- 1994. Pancreatic islet hypertrophy in spontaneous maturity onset obese-diabetic CBA/Ca mice. Int J Biochem 26: 1299–1303. , .
- 1973. A combined biochemical and histological study on the islets of Langerhans in the genetically obese hyperglycemic mouse and in the lean mouse, including observations on the effects of streptozotocin treatment. J Endocrin 56: 571–583. , , , .
- 2001. β-Cell mass dynamics in Zucker diabetic fatty rats: Rosiglitazone prevents the rise in net cell death. Diabetes 50: 1021–1029. , , , , , , .
- 1993. BSB: a new mouse model of multigenic obesity. Obesity Res 1: 271–280. , , , .
- 2001. Evidence for a circulating islet cell growth factor in insulin-resistant states. PNAS 90: 7475–7480. , , .
- 1992. Comparison of the properties of the ATP-sensitive K+ channels of pancreatic beta-cells of lean and obese (ob/ob) C57BL/6J mice. J Membr Biol 129: 267–276. , , , .
- 1983. Temporal changes in pancreatic islet composition in C57BL/6J-db/db (diabetes) mice. Diabetologia 25: 439–443. , , , .
- 1969. Hyperinsulinemia in mice with genetically determined obesity. Endocrinology 84: 386–391. .
- 1960. Pancreatic islets in mice with the obese-hyperglycemic syndrome: lack of effect of carbutamide. Diabetes 9: 63–69. , , .
- 2004. Glucose homeostasis and tissue transcript content of insulin signaling intermediates in four inbred strains of mice: C57BL/6, C57BLKS/6, DBA/2, and 129X1. Endocrinology 145: 3307–3323. , , .
- 1979. Correlation between morphology and function in isolated islets of the Zucker rat. Diabetes 28: 565–569. , .
- 1961. The distribution pattern of the pancreatic isles volume in normal and hyperglycemic mice. Acta Endocrin 36: 609–616. , , , .
- 2007. Dominant-negative effects of a novel mutated Ins2 allele causes early-onset diabetes and severe β-cell loss in Munich Ins2C95S mutant mice. Diabetes 56: 1268–1276. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Insulin and glucagon secretions, and morphological change of pancreatic islets in OLETF rats, a model of type 2 diabetes mellitus. J. Korean Med Sci 17: 34–40. , , , , , .
- 2005. Dietary-fat-induced obesity in mice results in beta cell hyperplasia, but not increased insulin release; evidence for specificity of impaired cell adaptation. Diabetologia 48: 1350–1358. , , , , , .
- 1972. The influence of genetic background on the expression of mutations at the diabetes locus in the mouse. I. C57BL-KsJ and C57BL-6J strains. Biochem Genet 7: 1–13. , , .
- 1980. Antisomatostatin gamma globulin augments secretion of both insulin and glucagon in vitro: evidence for a physiologic role for endogenous somatostatin in the regulation of pancreatic A- and B-cell. Diabetes 29: 693–696. , , .
- 1979. Somatostatin release from isolated perfused rat pancreas. Possible role of endogenous somatostatin on insulin release. Diabetes 28: 600–603. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Banting Lecture: insulin, action, diabetogenes, and cause of type II diabetes. Diabetes 43: 1066–1084. .
- 2001. Gender differences in the glucagon response to glucopenic stress in mice. Am J Physiol Regulatory Integrative Comp Physiol 282: R281–R288. , , .
- 1963. The islets of Langerhans in rats with hypothalamic obesity. Lancet 2: 981–982. , .
- 2000. The adipoinsular axis: effects of leptin on pancreatic β-cells. Am J Physiol 278: E1–E14. , .
- 2004. PDX-1 haploinsufficiency limits the compensatory islet hyperplasia that occurs in response to insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 114: 828–836. , , , , , .
- 1977. Functional abnormalities of islets of Langerhans of obese hyperglycemic mouse. Am J Physiol 233: E86–E90. , , , .
- 1979. Ultrastructural and morphometric studies of delta cells in pancreatic islets from C57BL/Ks diabetes mice. Diabetologia 17: 297–309. , , , .
- 1979. Variations in mortality by weight among 750,000 men and women. J Chronic Dis 32: 563–576. , .
- 1981. Islet organ, blood glucose and glucose tolerance of lean and obese Mongolian gerbils: a quantitative study. Cell Tissue Res 220: 623–636. , .
- 1979. Changes in pancreatic somatostatin content in spontaneously diabetic mice, as determined by radiommunoassay and immunohistochemical methods. Endocrinology 104: 243–247. , , , , , .
- 1984. Insulin within islets is a physiologic glucagon release inhibitor. J Clin Invest 74: 2296–2299. , , , , .
- 1968. Insulin secretion in experimental obesity. Metabolism 17: 802–807. , , .
- 1985. Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28: 412–419. , , , , , .
- 1978. Syngeneic transplantation of fetal rat pancreas. II. Effects of insulin treatment on the growth and differentiation of pancreatic implants 15 days after transplantation. Diabetes 27: 988–995. , .
- 1984. Gap junctions and cell-to-cell coupling in endocrine glands. Mod Cell Biol 3: 131–196. , , .
- 1995. Pancreatric β-cells in obesity: evidence for induction of functional, morphologic and metabolic abnormalities by increased long-chain fatty acids. J Biol Chem 270: 1295–1299. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Linear correlation between β-cell mass and body weight throughout the lifespan in Lewis rats: role of β-cell hyperplasia and hypertrophy. Diabetes 49: 1341–1346. , , , .
- 2001. Leptin increases the viability of isolated rat pancreatic islets by suppressing apoptosis. Endocrinology 142: 4827–4830. , , , .
- 1933. The islands of Langerhans in 19 cases of obesity. J Path 37: 473–481. .
- 2000. Review: pancreatic beta-cell neogenesis revisited. Exp Diabesity Res 5: 111–121. , , , .
- 1977. Somatostatin: widespread abnormality in tissues of spontaneously diabetic mice. Science 198: 930–931. , , , , .
- 1979. Somatostatin content and release of isolated pancreatic islets from obese-hyperglycemic mice. Cell Molec Life Sci 35: 127–128. , , .
- 1998. Role of apoptosis in failure of β-cell mass compensation for insulin resistance α β cell defects in the male Zucker diabetic fatty rat. Diabetes 47: 358–364. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Islet cell interactions with pancreatic β-cells. Experientia 40: 1114–1126. .
- 1982. Insulin and multiplication stimulating activity (an insulin-like growth factor) stimulate islet β-cell replication in neonatal rat pancreatic monolayer cultures. Diabetes 31: 160–164. , , , , .
- Westernized-like-diet-fed rats: effect on glucose homeostasis, lipid profile, and adipocyte hormones and their modulation by rosiglitazone and glimepiride. J Diabetes Complications 23: 199–208. , , , .
- 1975. Insulin secretion by perfused islets from obese Zucker rat. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 149: 311–314. , .
- 1997. Pediatric obesity. An overview of etiology and treatment. Pediatr Clin North Am 44: 339–361. , .
- 1991. A morphological and immunohistochemical investigation of endocrine pancreata from obese ob/ob mice. Acta Histochem 90: 93–101. , , , , .
- 1967. Measurements of insulin activities in pancreas and serum of mice with spontaneous and induced (gold thioglucose) obesity and hyperglycemia, with consideration on the pathogenesis of the spontaneous syndrome. Diabetologia 3: 230–237. , , , .
- 1999. A new mouse model of spontaneous diabetes derived from ddY strain. Exp Anim 48: 181–189. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Insulin secretion from ob/ob mouse pancreatic islets—effects of neurotransmitters. Am J Physiol 262 ( Suppl. 1): E338–E343. , , .
- 1984. Panceatic polypeptide and other hormones in pancreas of obese (ob/ob) mice. Diabetologia 27: 454–459. , , , .
- 1992. Pancreatic islets of obese hyperglycemic mice (ob/ob). Pancreas 7: 367–375. , , , .
- 2008. Counterintuitive effects of double-heterozygous null melanocortin-4 receptor and leptin genes on diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance in C56BL/6J mice. Endocrinology 149: 174–184. , , , .
- 1983. Glucagon In: EllenbergM, and RifkinH, editors. Diabetes Mellitus: Theory and Practice, 3rd Ed., Medical Examination Publishing Co.: New York, pp 203–224 , .
- 2001. Diseases of lipogregulation: new perspectives on obesity and related disorders. FASEB J 15: 312–321. , .
- 2005. Differential regulation of insulin resistance and hypertension by sex hormones in fructose-fed male rats. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289: H1335–H1342. , , .
- 1993. Coincidence of genetic loci for plasma cholesterol levels and obesity in a multifactorial mouse model. J Clin Invest 92: 773–779. , , , , .
- 1995. Identification of four chromosomal loci determining obesity in a multifactorial mouse model. J Clin Invest 95: 1545–1552. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Islets of Langerhans: the puzzle of intraislet interactions and their relevance to diabetes. J Clin Invest 85: 983–987. , .
- 1949. Pancreatic islet hyperplasia in rats force fed high carbohydrate diets. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 71: 308–313. , , .
- 2006. Increased tumor growth in mice with diet-induced obesity: impact of ovarian hormones. Endocrinology 147: 5826–5834. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .