Full Length Article
The Structure of Tight Junctions in Mouse Submandibular Gland
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 293, Issue 1, pages 141–149, January 2010
How to Cite
Kikuchi, K., Kawedia, J., Menon, A. G. and Hand, A. R. (2010), The Structure of Tight Junctions in Mouse Submandibular Gland. Anat Rec, 293: 141–149. doi: 10.1002/ar.21029
- Issue published online: 28 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUL 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: DE13823
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: NSF BBS 8714235 (UMass)
- Nippon Dental University
- University of Connecticut Health Center
- 2008. Biology of claudins. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 295: F867–F876. , , .
- 1978. Electrical resistance of rabbit submaxillary main duct: a tight epithelium with leaky cell membranes. J Membr Biol 43: 203–226. , , .
- 1973. Fracture faces of zonulae occludentes from “tight” and “leaky” epithelia. J Cell Biol 58: 390–400. , .
- 1976. Dynamic changes of the luminal plasmalemma in stimulated parotid acinar cells. A freeze-fracture study. J Cell Biol 70: 59–74. , , .
- 2007. Discriminating roles of desmosomal cadherins: beyond desmosomal adhesion. J Dermatol Sci 45: 7–21. , , .
- 1982. Permeability of canine submandibular glands to blood-borne horseradish peroxidase during parasympathetic secretion. Q J Exp Physiol 67: 31–39. , , .
- 1970. A fine structural analysis of intercellular junctions in the mouse liver. J Cell Biol 45: 272–290. , .
- 1994. The granular convoluted tubule (GCT) cell of rodent submandibular glands. Microsc Res Tech 27: 1–24. .
- 2003. Morphological and functional changes in cell junctions during secretory stimulation in the perfused rat submandibular gland. Eur J Morphol 41: 35–39. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Paracellular fluid transport by epithelia. Int Rev Cytol 215: 319–350. , .
- 1976. Morphological changes in tight junctions of Necturus maculosus proximal tububles undergoing saline diuresis. J Cell Biol 69: 90–96. , , , , .
- 1987. Morphological changes of intercellular junctions in the rat submandibular gland treated by long-term repeated administration of isoproterenol. J Dent Res 66: 1303–1309. , , , .
- 1990. Morphometric studies on the development and sexual dimorphism of the submandibular gland of the mouse. J Anat 172: 115–127. , , .
- 2007. Interaction between transcellular and paracellular water transport pathways through Aquaporin-5 and the tight junction complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 3621–3626. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Autonomic regulation of tight junctional permeability in the rat submandibular gland. J Osaka Dent Univ 24: 121–134. , .
- 1994. Quantification of tight junction complexity by means of fractal analysis. Tissue Cell 26: 901–912. , , , .
- 1996. Development of blood-brain barrier tight junctions in the rat cortex. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 96: 229–240. , , .
- 2001. Salivary acinar cells from aquaporin 5-deficient mice have decreased membrane water permeability and altered cell volume regulation. J Biol Chem 276: 23413–23420. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Biological implications of gap junction structure, distribution and composition: a review. Tissue Cell 15: 645–671. .
- 1999. Defective secretion of saliva in transgenic mice lacking aquaporin-5 water channels. J Biol Chem 274: 20071–20074. , , , , , .
- 2005. Mammalian tight junctions in the regulation of epithelial differentiation and proliferation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 17: 453–458. , , , .
- 1984. Alteration of tight junctional permeability in the rat parotid gland after isoproterenol stimulation. J Cell Biol 98: 1865–1877. , , .
- 1998. Sialoglycoconjugate dimorphism of the mouse submandibular gland acinar cells. Ultrastructural evidence by lectin-protein A-gold probes and sialidase digestion. Histol Histopathol 13: 137–146. , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of gap junction proteins connexin32 and 43 in rat submandibular and sublingual glands. J Histochem Cytochem 44: 49–56. , , .
- 2008. Molecular components of the adherens junction. Biochim Biophys Acta 1778: 562–571. , .
- 2004. Tissue-specific expression of the tight junction proteins claudins and occludin in the rat salivary glands. J Anat 205: 257–266. , .
- 2004. The tight junction: a multifunctional complex. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 286: C1213–C1228. , .
- 1972. Salivary secretion of electrolytes. Physiol Rev 52: 720–777. , , .
- 1994. Tight junctional permeability in living cells: dynamic changes directly visualized by confocal laser microscopy. J Electron Microsc (Tokyo) 43: 290–298. .
- 1998. Acinar cells are target cells for androgens in mouse submandibular glands. J Histochem Cytochem 46: 669–678. , , , .
- 1981. Intercelluar junctions in developing rat submandibular glands. I. Tight junctions. J Electron Microsc 30: 29–45. , , .
- 1992. Freeze-fracture studies of salivary glands. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 33: 149–170. , , , .
- 1980. Intercellular junctions in salivary glands: freeze-fracture and tracer studies of normal rat sublingual gland. J Ultrastruct Res 72: 286–299. , , .
- 1984. Freeze-fracture and lead ion tracer evidence for a paracellular fluid secretory pathway in rat parotid glands. Anat Rec 208: 69–80. , .
- 1988. Tight junction structure and ZO-1 content are identical in two strains of Madin-Darby canine kidney cells which differ in transepithelial resistance. J Cell Biol 107: 2401–2408. , , , .
- 1995. Chorda-evoked opening of tight junctions in rat submandibular salivary acini demonstrated by microperoxidase. Arch Oral Biol 40: 1077–1080. , , , , .
- 2006. Claudins and epithelial paracellular transport. Annu Rev Physiol 68: 403–429. , .
- 2003. Reversal of charge selectivity in cation or anion-selective epithelial lines by expression of different claudins. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 285: F1078–F1084. , , .
- 1971. Nerve terminals and cellular junctions in young and adult mouse submandibular glands. J Anat 108: 409–417. .