Increased COX2 in the Trigeminal Nucleus Caudalis Is Involved in Orofacial Pain Induced by Experimental Tooth Movement
Article first published online: 20 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 293, Issue 3, pages 485–491, March 2010
How to Cite
Gao, Y. and Duan, Y.-Z. (2010), Increased COX2 in the Trigeminal Nucleus Caudalis Is Involved in Orofacial Pain Induced by Experimental Tooth Movement. Anat Rec, 293: 485–491. doi: 10.1002/ar.21078
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 20 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2009
- National Key Technologies R&D Program of China. Grant Number: 2004BA720A25
- 2007. Blockade of central cyclooxygenase (COX) pathways enhances the cannabinoid-induced antinociceptive effects on inflammatory temporomandibular joint (TMJ) nociception. Pain 132: 23–32. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Central NO is involved in the antinociceptive action of intracisternal antidepressants in freely moving rats. Neurosci Lett 243: 105–108. , , .
- 1999. Effects of morphine on the distribution of Fos protein in the trigeminal subnucleus caudalis neurons during experimental tooth movement of the rat molar. Brain Res 819: 48–57. , , , .
- 2005. Experimental tooth movement upregulates preproenkephalin mRNA in the rat trigeminal nucleus caudalis and oralis. Brain Res 1036: 196–201. , , , , , .
- 2000. Pain in orthodontics. A review and discussion of the literature. J Orofac Orthop 61: 125–137. , , .
- 2000. Mechanism of action of acetaminophen: is there a cyclooxygenase 3? Clin Infect Dis 31 ( Suppl 5): S202–S210. .
- 1962. Rationale of the segmented arch. Am J Orthod 48: 805–822. .
- 2003. Central cyclooxygenase-2 participates in interleukin-1 beta-induced hyperalgesia in the orofacial formalin test of freely moving rats. Neurosci Lett 352: 187–190. , , , , , .
- 2000. Cyclooxygenase-1 is a marker for a subpopulation of putative nociceptive neurons in rat dorsal root ganglia. Eur J Neurosci 12: 911–920. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Central nervous system concentrations of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors in humans. Anesthesiology 102: 409–415. , , .
- 1972. Clinical considerations of the periodontium. Am J Orthod 61: 138–155. , .
- 2004. Constitutive spinal cyclooxygenase-2 participates in the initiation of tissue injury-induced hyperalgesia. J Neurosci 24: 2727–2732. , , , , .
- 2006. Pain discomfort and crevicular fluid changes induced by orthodontic elastic separators in children. J Pain 7: 367–376. , , .
- 1996. Immunohistochemical changes in the distribution of nerve fibers in the periodontal ligament during an experimental tooth movement of the rat molar. Acta Anat (Basel) 157: 53–62. , , .
- 2000. Cyclooxygenase-2: its rich diversity of roles and possible application of its selective inhibitors. Inflamm Res 49: 367–392. , .
- 2007. Orthodontic pain: from causes to management–a review. Eur J Orthod 29: 170–179. .
- 2000. Cyclooxygenase isoenzymes and newer therapeutic potential for selective COX-2 inhibitors. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 22: 291–298. , , .
- 1999. An essential role of interleukin-1beta in mediating NF-kappaB activity and COX-2 transcription in cells of the blood-brain barrier in response to a systemic and localized inflammation but not during endotoxemia. J Neurosci 19: 10923–10930. , , .
- 2004. C-fos expression in rat brain nuclei following incisor tooth movement. J Dent Res 83: 50–54. , , , , .
- 2000. Effect of regulated expression of human cyclooxygenase isoforms on eicosanoid and isoeicosanoid production in inflammation. J Clin Invest 105: 1473–1482. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Attitudes to orthodontic treatment. Br J Orthod 12: 179–188. , .
- 2008. Antinociceptive effect of resveratrol in carrageenan-evoked hyperalgesia in rats: prolonged effect related to COX-2 expression impairment. Pain 140: 274–283. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Interleukin-1beta-mediated induction of Cox-2 in the CNS contributes to inflammatory pain hypersensitivity. Nature 410: 471–475. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Perception of pain as a result of orthodontic treatment with fixed appliances. Eur J Orthod 18: 349–357. , , .
- 2009. COX2 in CNS neural cells mediates mechanical inflammatory pain hypersensitivity in mice. J Clin Invest 119: 287–294. , , , , , , , .
- 1976. Quantitative comparison of the analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of aspirin, phenacetin and acetaminophen in rodents. Eur J Pharmacol 37: 23–30. , , .
- 1998. Behavioral assessment of facial pain in rats: face grooming patterns after painful and non-painful sensory disturbances in the territory of the rat's infraorbital nerve. Pain 76: 173–178. , , .
- 2002. Effect of antisense knock-down of alpha(2a)- and alpha(2c)-adrenoceptors on the antinociceptive action of clonidine on trigeminal nociception in the rat. Pain 98: 27–35. , , , .
- 1996. Analysis of the effects of cyclooxygenase (COX)-1 and COX-2 in spinal nociceptive transmission using indomethacin, a non-selective COX inhibitor, and NS-398, a COX-2 selective inhibitor. Brain Res 739: 104–110. , .
- 1997. c-fos expression in the trigeminal sensory complex and pontine parabrachial areas following experimental tooth movement. Neuroreport 8: 2351–2353. , , , , .
- 2009. Behavioural responses and expression of P2X3 receptor in trigeminal ganglion after experimental tooth movement in rats. Arch Oral Biol 54: 63–70. , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals. Pain 16: 109–110. .