Fax: +61 3 9902 9223
Effect of Maternal Protein Restriction During Pregnancy and Lactation on the Number of Cardiomyocytes in the Postproliferative Weanling Rat Heart
Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 293, Issue 3, pages 431–437, March 2010
How to Cite
Lim, K., Zimanyi, M. A. and Black, M. J. (2010), Effect of Maternal Protein Restriction During Pregnancy and Lactation on the Number of Cardiomyocytes in the Postproliferative Weanling Rat Heart. Anat Rec, 293: 431–437. doi: 10.1002/ar.21084
- Issue online: 17 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAY 2009
- 1989. Growth in utero, blood pressure in childhood and adult life, and mortality from cardiovascular disease. BMJ 298: 564–567. , , , , .
- 1992. Counting cells with the new stereology. Trends Cell Biol 2: 177–180. , .
- 2007. Intrauterine growth restriction delays cardiomyocyte maturation and alters coronary artery function in the fetal sheep. J Physiol 578: 871–881. , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Formation of binucleated myocardial cells in the neonatal rat. An index for growth hypertrophy. Lab Invest 50: 571–577. , .
- 2005. Effect of intrauterine growth restriction on the number of cardiomyocytes in rat hearts. Pediatr Res 57: 796–800. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Design and statistical methods in studies using animal models of development. ILAR J 47: 5–14. .
- 2008. Epidemiology and causes of preterm birth. Lancet 371: 75–84. , , , .
- 1988. Some new, simple and efficient stereological methods and their use in pathological research and diagnosis. APMIS 96: 379–394. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Foetal nutrition, foetal growth restriction and health later in life. Acta Paediatr Suppl 88: 4–8. .
- 2001. Cell proliferation in the growing human heart: MIB-1 immunostaining in preterm and term infants at autopsy. Cardiovasc Pathol 10: 119–123. , , , .
- 2004. Echocardiographic evaluation of left ventricle postnatal growth in newborns and infants. Bratisl Lek Listy 105: 78–85. .
- 1998. Reduced fetal growth rate and increased risk of death from ischaemic heart disease: cohort study of 15,000 Swedish men and women born 1915–1929. BMJ 317: 241–245. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Rapid transition of cardiac myocytes from hyperplasia to hypertrophy during postnatal development. J Mol Cell Cardiol 28: 1737–1746. , , , .
- 2006. Effect of maternal protein restriction in rats on cardiac fibrosis and capillarization in adulthood. Pediatr Res 60: 83–87. , , .
- 2006. Restricted fetal growth and lung development: a morphometric analysis of pulmonary structure. Pediatr Pulmonol 41: 1138–1145. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Stereology of the myocardium in human foetuses. Early Hum Dev 48: 249–259. , , , .
- 1992. Retroviral analysis of cardiac morphogenesis: discontinuous formation of coronary vessels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 9504–9508. , .
- 2007. Restriction of placental function alters heart development in the sheep fetus. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293: R306–313. , , , , , .
- 2004. Methods for quantifying follicular numbers within the mouse ovary. Reproduction 127: 569–580. , , , , .
- 2003. The alpha(1A/C)- and alpha(1B)-adrenergic receptors are required for physiological cardiac hypertrophy in the double-knockout mouse. J Clin Invest 111: 1783–1791. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Morphometric study of early postnatal development in the left and right ventricular myocardium of the rat. II. Tissue composition, capillary growth, and sarcoplasmic alterations. Circ Res 46: 503–512. , , .
- 1992. Causes and consequences of intrauterine growth retardation in Latin America. Bull Pan Am Health Organ 26: 128–147. , .
- 2008. Fluorescent stains for quantification of DNA by confocal laser scanning microscopy in 3-D. Biotech Histochem 83: 63–69. , , , .
- 2005. Longitudinal study of birth weight and adult body mass index in predicting risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women. BMJ 330: 1115 , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Coronary heart disease after prenatal exposure to the Dutch famine, 1944–1945. Heart 84: 595–598. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Myocardial growth before and after birth: clinical implications. Acta Paediatr 89: 129–133. .
- 1997. The cellular and molecular response of cardiac myocytes to mechanical stress. Annu Rev Physiol 59: 551–571. , .
- 1998. The cardiac cell cycle. New York: Academic Press. , .
- 1995. Ultrastructural and functional features of the developing mammalian heart: a brief overview. Reprod Fertil Dev 7: 451–461. .
- 2006. A developmental nephron deficit in rats is associated with increased susceptibility to a secondary renal injury due to advanced glycation end-products. Diabetologia 49: 801–810. , , , , , , .