Lung eNOS and iNOS are Reoxygenation Time-Dependent Upregulated After Acute Hypoxia
Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 293, Issue 6, pages 1089–1098, June 2010
How to Cite
Rus, A., Peinado, Mª. Á., Castro, L. and Del Moral, Mª. L. (2010), Lung eNOS and iNOS are Reoxygenation Time-Dependent Upregulated After Acute Hypoxia. Anat Rec, 293: 1089–1098. doi: 10.1002/ar.21141
- Issue online: 19 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Received: 25 FEB 2009
- Ministry of Education and Sciences of Spain. Grant Number: SAF-2003-04398-C02-02
- 1996. Regulation of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase during hypoxia. J Biol Chem 271: 15069–15073. , , , , .
- 1996. Nitric oxide, superoxide, and peroxynitrite: the good, the bad, and ugly. Am J Physiol 271: C1424–C1437. , .
- 1989. Nanogram nitrite and nitrate determination in environmental and biological materials by vanadium (III) reduction with chemiluminescence detection. Anal Chem 61: 2715–2718. , .
- 1988. Augmentation of hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction in the isolated perfused rat lung by in vitro antagonists of endothelium-dependent relaxation. J Clin Invest 82: 1495–1502. , , .
- 2003. The role of nitric oxide (NO) in stability regulation of hypoxia inducible factor-1α (HIF-1alpha). Curr Med Chem 10: 845–855. , .
- 2008. IL-13 induced increases in nitrite levels are primarily driven by increases in inducible nitric oxide synthase as compared with effects on arginases in human primary bronchial epithelial cells. Clin Exp Allergy 38: 1409. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide in the pulmonary vasculature. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 27: 1877–1885. , .
- 1997. Effect of acute alterations in inspired oxygen tension on methacholine induced bronchoconstriction in patients with asthma. Thorax 52: 453–457. , , , , .
- 2001. Upregulation of nitric oxide synthase in mice with severe hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension. Respir Res 2: 306–313. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Relative contributions of endothelial, inducible, and neuronal NOS to tone in the murine pulmonary circulation. Am J Physiol. 277: L472–L478. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Homogenous chemiluminiscent measurement of nitric oxide with ozone. Implications for continuous selective monitoring of gaseous air pollutants. Anal Chem 42: 575–579. , , .
- 1991. Characterization and purification from different cell types. Biochem Pharmacol 42: 1849–1857. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Continuous nitric oxide synthesis by inducible nitric oxide synthase in normal human airway epithelium in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 7809–7813. , , , , , .
- 2001. Cessation of cell proliferation by adjustment of cell redox potential. J Theor Biol 211: 403–407. , , .
- 2000. Hypoxic regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase via hypoxia inducible factor-1 in cardiac myocytes. Circ Res 86: 319–325. , , , .
- 1993. Nitric oxide synthase in human and rat lung: immunocytochemical and histochemical localization. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 4: 371–377. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Nitric oxide synthase and NADP-linked glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase are co-localized in brush cells of rat stomach and pancreas. J Histochem Cytochem 42: 1317–1321. , , , .
- 1993. Evaluation of monitoring methods for nitrogen oxides. Ann Occup Hyg 37: 307–314. , , , .
- 1996. Chronic hypoxia upregulates endothelial and inducible NO synthase gene and protein expression in rat lung. Am J Physiol 270: L164–L170. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of chronic hypoxia and altered hemodynamics on endothelial nitric oxide synthase in the adult rat lung. J Clin Invest 101: 795–801. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Reversal of endothelial nitric oxide synthase uncoupling and up-regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression lowers blood pressure in hypertensive rats. J Am Coll Cardiol 47: 2536–2544. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Regulation of bovine endothelial constitutive nitric oxide synthase by oxygen. J Clin Invest 96: 2661–2666. , , , , , .
- 2005. Evidence of a decrease in nitric oxide-storage molecules following acute hypoxia and/or hypobaria, by means of chemiluminescence analysis. Nitric Oxide 13: 62–67. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Reduced endothelial nitric oxide synthase in lungs of chronically ventilated preterm lambs. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 281: L1011–L1020. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Aging affects but does not eliminate the enzymatic antioxidative response to hypoxia/reoxygenation in cerebral cortex. Exp Gerontol 41: 25–31. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Natural antisense transcript stabilizes inducible nitric oxide synthase messenger RNA in rat hepatocytes. Hepatology 47: 686–697. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The role of the NO axis and its therapeutic implications in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Heart Fail Rev 8: 5–21. .
- 2001. NADPH-diaphorase activity and nitric oxide synthase isoforms in the trophoblast of Calomys callosus. J Anat 198: 443–453. , , , , .
- 2008. Brief periods of nitric oxide inhalation protect against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury. Anesthesiology 109: 675–682. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Hypoxia induces type II NOS gene expression in pulmonary artery endothelial cells via HIF-1. Am J Physiol 274: L212–L219. , , , .
- 1995. The chemistry of peroxynitrite: a product from the reaction of nitric oxide with superoxide. Am J Physiol 268: L699–L722. , .
- 1998. Alterations in nitric oxide synthase isoform expression in NOS knockout mice exposed to normoxia or hypoxia. Chest 114( 1 Suppl): 53S–55S. , , , .
- 2000. eNOS-deficient mice show reduced pulmonary vascular proliferation and remodeling to chronic hypoxia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 279: L641–L650. , , , , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide in health and disease of the respiratory system. Physiol Rev 84: 731–765. , , , .
- 1995. Nitric oxide synthase immunoreactivity and NADPH diaphorase staining are co-localised in neurons closely associated with the vasculature in rat and human retina. Brain Res 684: 36–46. , , .
- 2000. Does nitric oxide prevent oxidative mediated lung injury? Acta Paediatr 89: 905–907. .
- 2001. HIF-1 and mechanisms of hypoxia sensing. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 167–171. .
- 2004. Hypoxic preconditioning protects against ischemic brain injury. NeuroRx 1: 26–35. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Prolonged in vivo hypoxia enhances nitric oxide synthase type I and type III gene expression in adult rat lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 13: 167–174. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase is expressed in cultured human bronchiolar epithelium. J Clin Invest 94: 2231–2236. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Nitric oxide synthase isoform expression in the developing lung epithelium. Am J Physiol 276: L383–L390. , , , , , .
- 2003. Changes in functional and histological distributions of nitric oxide synthase caused by chronic hypoxia in rat small pulmonary arteries. Br J Pharmacol 139: 899–910. , , , , , , .
- 1988. The glucose oxidase-DAB-nickel method in peroxidase histochemistry of the nervous system. Neurosci Lett 85: 169–171. , , .
- 1992. Nitric oxide and neurons. Curr Opin Neurobiol 2: 323–327. .
- 1996. The pathophysiological role of peroxynitrite in shock, inflammation, and in ischemia-reperfusion injury. Shock 6: 79–88. .
- 1994. Distribution of NOS in normoxic vs. hypoxic rat lung: upregulation of NOS by chronic hypoxia. Am J Physiol 267: L667–L678. , , , , , .
- 2002. Modulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase by hypoxia in pulmonary artery endothelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 26: 22–30. , , , , , , , .