Priming With Endotoxin Increases Acute Lung Injury in Mice by Enhancing the Severity of Lung Endothelial Injury
Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 294, Issue 1, pages 165–172, January 2011
How to Cite
Lee, J. S., Su, X., Rackley, C., Matthay, M. A. and Gupta, N. (2011), Priming With Endotoxin Increases Acute Lung Injury in Mice by Enhancing the Severity of Lung Endothelial Injury. Anat Rec, 294: 165–172. doi: 10.1002/ar.21244
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Received: 27 JAN 2010
- NHLBI. Grant Number: HL51854
- NIAID. Grant Number: P011053194
- NHLBI. Grant Number: F32 HL097383
- NHLBI. Grant Number: K08 HL092059
- Parker B. Francis Awards
- 1990. Shwartzman reaction. Semin Thromb Hemost 16: 326–332. .
- 1995. Acid aspiration-induced lung injury in rabbits is mediated by interleukin-8-dependent mechanisms. J Clin Invest 96: 107–116. , , , .
- 1998. New in situ mouse model to quantify alveolar epithelial fluid clearance. J Appl Physiol 84: 1763–1767. , , .
- 2007. Intrapulmonary delivery of bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells improves survival and attenuates endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in mice. J Immunol 179: 1855–63. , , , , .
- 1997. Involvement of tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-8, and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in acute lung injury caused by local Shwartzman reaction. Pathol Int 47: 16–24. , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of a murine model of endotoxin-induced acute lung injury. Shock 17: 300–303. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. One-hit, two-hit . . . is there really any benefit? Clin Exp Immunol 141: 211–214. , .
- 2007. Acute lung injury edema fluid decreases net fluid transport across human alveolar epithelial type II cells. J Biol Chem 282: 24109–24119. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Platelet depletion and aspirin treatment protect mice in a two-event model of transfusion-related acute lung injury. J Clin Invest 119: 3450–3461. , , , , , .
- 2006. Neutrophils and their Fc gamma receptors are essential in a mouse model of transfusion-related acute lung injury. J Clin Invest 116: 1615–1623. , , , , .
- 2008. Animal models of acute lung injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L379–L399. , , .
- 1997. Exogenous surfactant and partial liquid ventilation: physiologic and pathologic effects. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 156: 1058–1065. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injury. N Engl J Med 353: 1685–1693. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Effect of continuous hemofiltration on hemodynamics, lung inflammation and pulmonary edema in a canine model of acute lung injury. Intensive Care Med 29: 2034–2042. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Activation of the alpha7 nAChR reduces acid-induced acute lung injury in mice and rats. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 37: 186–192. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Direct visual instillation as a method for efficient delivery of fluid into the distal airspaces of anesthetized mice. Exp Lung Res 30: 479–493. , , , , .
- 2009. Receptor for advanced glycation end-products (RAGE) is an indicator of direct lung injury in models of experimental lung injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 297: L1–L5. , , , .
- 2004. TLR signaling pathways. Semin Immunol 16: 3–9. , .
- 2009. Transfusion-related acute lung injury: current concepts for the clinician. Anesth Analg 108: 770–776. .
- 2000. The acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med 342: 1334–1349. , .
- 2002. Endotoxin tolerance: a review. Crit Care Med 30: S64–S73. , .
- 1991. Differential responses of the endothelial and epithelial barriers of the lung in sheep to Escherichia coli endotoxin. J Clin Invest 88: 864–875. , , .
- 1994. Prior exposure to endotoxin exacerbates lipopolysaccharide-induced hypoxemia and alveolitis in anesthetized swine. Shock 2: 362–369. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular mechanisms of NF-kappaB activation induced by bacterial lipopolysaccharide through Toll-like receptors. J Endotoxin Res 6: 453–457. , .