The Neuroprotective Effects of Reg-2 Following Spinal Cord Transection Injury
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 294, Issue 1, pages 24–45, January 2011
How to Cite
Fang, M., Wang, J., Huang, J.-Y., Ling, S.-C., Rudd, j. A., Hu, Z.-Y., Yew, D. T. and Han, S. (2011), The Neuroprotective Effects of Reg-2 Following Spinal Cord Transection Injury. Anat Rec, 294: 24–45. doi: 10.1002/ar.21281
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAR 2010
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 30600192
- Foundation of Zhejiang Province Education. Grant Number: Y200908553
- 2002. Ciliary neurotrophic factor activates spinal cord astrocytes, stimulating their production and release of fibroblast growth factor-2, to increase motor neuron survival. Exp Neurol 173: 46–62. , , , , .
- 2002. Dynamic pattern of reg-2 expression in rat sensory neurons after peripheral nerve injury. J Neurosci 22: 7493–7501. , , , , .
- 2008. Reg-2 expression in dorsal root ganglion neurons after adjuvant-induced monoarthritis. Neuroscience 155: 1227–1236. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A sensitive and reliable locomotor rating scale for open field testing in rats. J Neurotrauma 12: 1–21. , , .
- 1996. Graded histological and locomotor outcomes after spinal cord contusion using the NYU weight-drop device versus transection. Exp Neurol 139: 244–256. , , .
- 1992. Spinal cord injury produced by consistent mechanical displacement of the cord in rats: behavioral and histologic analysis. J Neurotrauma 9: 197–217. , , , .
- 2002. Current developments in spinal cord injury research. Spine J 2: 116–128. , .
- 2004. Study on the BBB scale of hindlimb movements recovery in rats of spinal cord injury. Chin J Spine Spinal Cord 14: 547–549. , , .
- 1997. Apoptosis and delayed degeneration after spinal cord injury in rats and monkeys. Nat Med 3: 73–76. , , , , .
- 1990. Enhanced expression of an exocrine pancreatic protein in Alzheimer's disease and the developing human brain. J Clin Invest 86: 1004–1013. , , .
- 2008. Inflammation and its role in neuroprotection, axonal regeneration and functional recovery after spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol 209: 378–388. , .
- 1970. Selective staining of degenerating axons in the central nervous system by a simplified silver method: spinal cord projections to external cuneate and inferior olivary nuclei in the cat. Brain Res 22: 137–141. .
- 2010. Effects of Reg-2 on survival of spinal cord neurons in vitro. Anat Rec 293: 464–476. , , , , , .
- 2000. Spinal cord control of movement: implications for locomotor rehabilitation following spinal cord injury. Phys Ther 80: 477–484. .
- 2008. CNS injury, glial scars, and inflammation: inhibitory extracellular matrices and regeneration failure. Exp Neurol 209: 294–301. , .
- 2006. The cellular inflammatory response in human spinal cords after injury. Brain 129: 3249–3269. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Transient blockade of the CD11d/CD18 integrin reduces secondary damage after spinal cord injury, improving sensory, autonomic, and motor function. J Neurosci 24: 4043–4051. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Repair of chronic spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol 182: 247–260. , .
- 2004. A neuroprotective role of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor following moderate spinal cord contusion injury. Exp Neurol 189: 317–332. , , , , , .
- 2009. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha and its receptors contribute to apoptosis of oligodendrocytes in the spinal cord of spinal hyperostotic mouse (twy/twy) sustaining chronic mechanical compression. Spine 34: 2848–2857. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Messenger RNA sequence and expression of rat pancreatitis-associated protein, a lectin-related protein overexpressed during acute experimental pancreatitis. J Biol Chem 266: 24664–24669. , , , .
- 1997. BDNF and NT-4/5 prevent atrophy of rat rubrospinal neurons after cervical axotomy, stimulate GAP-43 and Talpha1-tubulin mRNA expression, and promote axonal regeneration. J Neurosci 17: 9583–9595. , , , , , .
- 1982. The new anatomy of the descending brain pathways. In: SjolundB, BjorklundA, editors. Brain stem control of spinal mechanisms. Amsterdam: Elsevier Biomedical Press. p 29–54. , .
- 2002. CNTF is a major protective factor in demyelinating CNS disease: a neurotrophic cytokine as modulator in neuroinflammation. Nat Med 8: 620–624. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Annexin A1 reduces inflammatory reaction and tissue damage through inhibition of phospholipase A2 activation in adult rats following spinal cord injury. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 66: 932–943. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuronal and glial apoptosis after traumatic spinal cord injury. J Neurosci 17: 5395–5406. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A Schwann cell mitogen accompanying regeneration of motor neurons. Nature 390: 614–618. , , , , , .
- 2009. Overexpression of CNTF in mesenchymal stem cells reduces demyelination and induces clinical recovery in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis mice. J Neuroimmunol 206: 58–69. , , , , , .
- 1997. Centrally mediated inhibition of local inflammation by ciliary neurotrophic factor. Neuroimmunomodulation 4: 271–276. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Efficient testing of motor function in spinal cord injured rats. Brain Res 883: 165–177. , , , , .
- 2007. Astrocyte-derived CNTF switches mature RGCs to a regenerative state following inflammatory stimulation. Brain 130: 3308–3320. , , .
- 2000. Reg-2 is a motoneuron neurotrophic factor and a signaling intermediate in the CNTF survival pathway. Nat Cell Biol 2: 906–914. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The pathology of human spinal cord injury: defining the problems. J Neurotrauma 21: 429–440. , , .
- 2002. Apoptosis of spinal interneurons induced by sciatic nerve axotomy in the neonatal rat is counteracted by nerve growth factor and ciliary neurotrophic factor. J Comp Neurol 447: 381–393. , , , , .
- 1992. Human pancreatitis-associated protein. Messenger RNA cloning and expression in pancreatic diseases. J Clin Invest 90: 2284–2291. , , , , .
- 1998. The pancreatitis-associated protein is induced by free radicals in AR4–2J cells and confers cell resistance to apoptosis. Gastroenterology 114: 808–816. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The neuropathological and behavioral consequences of intraspinal microglial/macrophage activation. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 61: 623–633. , , , , , .
- 1999. Depletion of hematogenous macrophages promotes partial hindlimb recovery and neuroanatomical repair after experimental spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol 158: 351–365. , , , , , .
- 2004. Degenerative and regenerative mechanisms governing spinal cord injury. Neurobiol Dis 15: 415–436. , , , , , .
- 2004. Vaccinia virus complement control protein reduces inflammation and improves spinal cord integrity following spinal cord injury. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1035: 165–178. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Quantitative analysis of acute axonal pathology in experimental spinal cord contusion. J Neurotrauma 14: 823–838. , .
- 1996. Locomotor capacities after complete and partial lesions of the spinal cord. Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 56: 449–463. , , , , , .
- 1997. Apoptosis of microglia and oligodendrocytes after spinal cord contusion in rats. J Neurosci Res 50: 798–808. , , .
- 1999. Activation of the caspase-3 apoptotic cascade in traumatic spinal cord injury. Nat Med 5: 943–946. , , .
- 1982. Paths descending from the brain stem. An overview. In: SjolundB, BjorklundA, editors. Brain stem control of spinal mechanisms. Amsterdam: Elsevier Biomedical Press. p 1–27. .
- 2001. Delayed glial cell death following Wallerian degeneration in white matter tracts after spinal cord dorsal column cordotomy in adult rats. Exp Neurol 168: 213–224. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Recombinant ciliary neurotrophic factor promotes nerve regeneration and induces gene expression in silicon tube-bridged transected sciatic nerves in adult rats. J Clin Neurosci 16: 812–817. , , , .
- 2007. Intraspinal stimulation caudal to spinal cord transections in rats. Testing the propriospinal hypothesis. J Neurophysiol 97: 2570–2574. , , .
- 2004. The effects of ciliary neurotrophic factor on neurological function and glial activity following contusive spinal cord injury in the rats. Brain Res 997: 30–39. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF), CNTF receptor alpha (CNTFR-alpha) following experimental intracerebral hemorrhage in rats. Neurosci Lett 377: 170–175. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Spontaneous recovery of locomotion induced by remaining fibers after spinal cord transection in adult rats. Restor Neurol Neurosci 21: 39–45. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Observation of locomotor functional recovery in adult complete spinal rats with BWSTT using semiquantitative and qualitative methods. Spinal Cord 45: 496–501. , , , , , .