Effect of Interleukin-1β on the Expression of Actin Isoforms in Cultured Mouse Astroglia
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 294, Issue 1, pages 16–23, January 2011
How to Cite
Abd-El-Basset, E.M. and Abd-El-Barr, M. M. (2011), Effect of Interleukin-1β on the Expression of Actin Isoforms in Cultured Mouse Astroglia. Anat Rec, 294: 16–23. doi: 10.1002/ar.21303
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUL 2008
- Kuwait University Research Administration. Grant Number: MA037
- 2000. The effect of dibutyryl cyclic AMP on the expression of actin isoforms in astroglia. Histochem J 32: 581–590. .
- 1991. Immunolocalization of the α-isoform smooth muscle actin in mouse astroglia in culture. Neurosci Lett 125: 117–120. , .
- 1994. Contractile unit in stress fibers of human fetal astroglia in tissue culture. J Chem Neuroanat 7: 113–122. , .
- 1991. Actin and actin binding proteins in differentiating astroglia in tissue culture. J Neurosci Res 30: 1–17. , , .
- 1997. Upregulation of F-actin and α-actinin in reactive astrocytes. J Neurosci Res 49: 608–616. , .
- 2004. Up-regulation of cytoskeletal proteins in activated microglia. Medical Princ Pract 13: 325–333. , , .
- 1999. Astrocyte stellation induced by tyrosine kinase inhibitors in culture. Brain Res 837: 306–308. , .
- 1992. Production of hemolymphopoietic cytokines (IL-6, IL-8, colony-stimulating factors) by normal human astrocytes in response to IL-1β and TNF-α. J Immunol 149: 2358–2366. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cytokine regulation of astrocyte function: in-vitro studies using cell from the human brain. Int J Dev Neurosci 13: 265–274. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Reactive astrogliosis in neonatal mouse brain and its modulation by cytokines. J Neurosc 14: 846–856. , , , , .
- 1992. Inflammatory cytokines within the central nervous system: sources, function and mechanism of action. Am J Physiol 263: c1–c16. .
- 1990. Induction and regulation of IL-6 gene expression in rat astrocytes. J Neuroimmunol 30: 201–212. , , , , .
- 1976. The astroglia response to stabbing: immunofluorescence studies with antibodies to astrocyte-specific protein (GFA) in mammalian and submammalian vertebrate. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 2: 99–111. , .
- 1995. Gliosis. In: KettenmannH, RansomBR, editor. Neuroglia. New York: Oxford University Press. p 843–858. , .
- 2008. Tone-dependent vascular responses to astrocyte-derived signals. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294: 2855–2863. , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principles of protein-dyebinding. Anal Biochem 72: 248–254. .
- 2004. Pathological situations characterized by altered actin isoform expression. J Pathol 204: 386–395. , .
- 1985. Regulation of glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) expression in CNS development and in pathological state. J Neuroimmunol 8: 283–292. , .
- 1993. Molecular profile of reactive astrocytes-implications for their role in neuronal diseases. Neuroscience 54: 15–36. , .
- 2004. Reactive astrocytes protect tissue and preserve function after spinal cord injury. J Neurosci 24: 2143–2155. , , , , , .
- 1982. Production of prostaglandin E, and an Interleukin-1-like factor by cultured astrocytes and C6 glioma cells. J Immunol 129: 2413–2419. , , , , .
- 1989. On cellular source and function of interleukin 6 produced in the central nervous system in viral diseases. Eur J Immunol 19: 689–697. , , , , , .
- 1985. Interleukin-1 stimulation of astoglial proliferation after brain injury. Science 228: 497–498. , .
- 1986. Interleukin-1 of the central nervous system is produced by ameboid microglia. J Exp Med 164: 594–604. , , , .
- 1988a. Interleukin-1 is an astroglial growth factor in developing brain. J Neurosci 8: 709–714. , , , , .
- 1988b. Interleukin-1 injected into mammalian brain stimulates astrogliosis and neovascularization. J Neurosci 8: 2485–2490. , , , , .
- 1999. Glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP): modulation by growth factors and its implication in astrocyte differentiation. Braz J Med Biol Res 32: 619–631. , , .
- 2007. Astrocyte control of the cerebrovasculature. Glia 55: 1214–1221. , , .
- 2008. Brain metabolism dictates the polarity of astrocyte control over arterioles. Nature 456: 729–745. , , , , .
- 1995. Cytokines and nervous system. I: expression and recognition. Trends Neurosci 18: 83–85. , .
- 2005. IL-1-regulated responses in astrocytes: relevance to injury and recovery. Glia 49: 161–176. , , , , .
- 2006. Role of astrocytes in cerebrovascular regulation. J Appl Physiol 100: 307–317. , , .
- 2009. Astrocytes and the regulation of cerebral blood flow. Trends Neurosci 32: 160–169. , , .
- 2001. Functional specificity of actin isoforms. Int Rev Cytol 202: 35–98. .
- 1987. Growth promoting effect of recombinant interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor for a human astrocytoma cell line. J Immunol 138: 2913–2916. , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of head of the bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 1994. Glial fibrillary acidic protein: regulation by hormones, cytokines, and growth factoes. Brain Pathol 1: 259–275. , , , , .
- 1991. α isoform of smooth muscle actin is expressed in astrocytes in vitro and in vivo. J Neurosci Res 28: 601–606. , , , , .
- 1994. Cytoskeletal alternations in human fetal astrocytes induced by IL-1β. J Neurochem 63: 1625–1634. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Tumor necrosis factor-α, Interleukin-1 and related cytokines in brain development: normal and pathological. Dev Neurosci 14: 1–10. .
- 1985. Hormones and growth factors induce the synthesis of glial fibrillary acidic protein in the rat brain astrocytes. J Neurosci Res 14: 167–176. , , , .
- 1993. Effect of interleukin-1β and tumor necrosis factor-α on the expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein and transferring in culture astrocytes. Glia 8: 77–86. , , .
- 2004. Translocation of protein kinase C-betaII in astrocytes required organized actin cytoskeleton and is not accompanied by synchronous RACK1 relocation. Glia 46: 169–182. , , .
- 2000. Effect of intracerebral administration of IL-1β on reactive behaviors of astrocytes and macrophages in injures brain of newborn rats. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 38: 151–156. , , , , .
- 2007. Actin structure and function: what we still do not underatand. J Biol Chem 282: 36133–36137. , .
- 1988. Astrocytes regulate GFAP mRNA levels by cyclic AMP and protein kinase C-dependent mechanisms. Glia 1: 346–354. , , .
- 1988. Cyclic AMP-an intracellular second messenger for interleukin 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 8201–8205. , , , .
- 1979. Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4350–4354. , , .
- 2004. Brain-IL-1beta triggers astrogloisis through induction of IL-6 inhibition by propranolol and IL-10. Med Sci Monit 10: 325–330. , , , , .
- 2010. Astrogliosis in CNS Pathologies: is there a role for microglia? Mol Neurobiol 41: 232–241. , , , , .