Development of the Gubernaculum During Testicular Descent in the Rat
Version of Record online: 25 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 294, Issue 7, pages 1249–1260, July 2011
How to Cite
Nation, T.R., Buraundi, S., Farmer, P.J., Balic, A., Newgreen, D., Southwell, B.R. and Hutson, J.M. (2011), Development of the Gubernaculum During Testicular Descent in the Rat. Anat Rec, 294: 1249–1260. doi: 10.1002/ar.21393
- Issue online: 15 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 25 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 16 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUL 2010
- 2007. Exogenous calcitonin gene-related peptide perturbs the direction and length of gubernaculum in capsaicin-treated rats. Pediatr Surg Int 23: 305–308. , , .
- 2007. Cryptorchidism in common eutherian mammals. Reproduction 133: 541–561. , .
- 2010. An insight into testis and gubernaculum dynamics of INSL3-RXFP2 signalling during testicular descent in the dog. Reprod Fertil Dev 22: 751–760. , , , , .
- 1982. Development and descent of the testis. Eur J Pediatr 139: 249–252. .
- 2010. Hidden in plain sight: the mammary line in males may be the missing link regulating inguinoscrotal testicular descent. J Pediatr Surg 45: 414–418; discussion 418. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Effect of division of genitofemoral nerve on testicular descent in the rat. Aust N Z J Surg 57: 49–51. , .
- 2006. Molecular interactions between Tbx3 and Bmp4 and a model for dorsoventral positioning of mammary gland development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 16788–16793. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Testicular migration: remodeling of connective tissue and muscle cells in human gubernaculum testis. J Urol 167: 2171–2176. , , , .
- 1992. Histologic evaluation of inguinoscrotal migration of the gubernaculum in rodents during testicular descent and its relationship to the genitofemoral nerve. Pediatr Surg Int 7: 265–270. , , , .
- 2009. INSL3/RXFP2 signaling in testicular descent. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1160: 197–204. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Role of hormones, genes, and environment in human cryptorchidism. Endocr Rev 29: 560–580. , , , .
- 1988. The significance of striated muscle in the mammary glands of marsupials. J Anat 156: 141–156. , .
- 1983. Cryptorchidism: management and implications. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. p 1–135. .
- 2005. Key stages of mammary gland development: molecular mechanisms involved in the formation of the embryonic mammary gland. Breast Cancer Res 7: 220–224. , .
- 1987. The gubernaculum during testicular descent in the human fetus. J Anat 153: 93–112. .
- 2002. Role of the gubernacular bulb in cremaster muscle development of the rat. Anat Rec 267: 159–165. , , , , , .
- 2008. Factors controlling testis descent. Eur J Endocrinol 159 ( Suppl 1): S75–S82. , .
- 2009. Testicular descent: a hypothesis and review of current controversies. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 6: 491–495. .
- 1991. Localization of the androgen receptor in the developing rat gubernaculum. Endocrinology 128: 383–387. , .
- 1985. A biphasic model for the hormonal control of testicular descent. Lancet 2: 419–421. .
- 1997. Anatomical and functional aspects of testicular descent and cryptorchidism. Endocr Rev 18: 259–280. , , .
- 2007. Signalling molecules: clues from development of the limb bud for cryptorchidism? Pediatr Surg Int 23: 617–624. , , , .
- 2004. Molecular and genetic regulation of testis descent and external genitalia development. Dev Biol 270: 1–18. , , .
- 1998. Does the gubernaculum migrate during inguinoscrotal testicular descent in the rat? Anat Rec 250: 159–163. , , .
- 2007. Cell membrane and mitotic markers show that the neonatal rat gubernaculum grows in a similar way to an embryonic limb bud. J Pediatr Surg 42: 1566–1573. , , , , , .
- 2009a. The antiandrogen flutamide perturbs inguinoscrotal testicular descent in the rat and suggests a link with mammary development. J Pediatr Surg 44: 2330–2334. , , , , , , .
- 2009b. The hormonal control of testicular descent. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 7: 22–31. , , , , .
- 2008. The migrating gubernaculum grows like a “limb bud”. J Pediatr Surg 43: 387–390. , , .
- 2006. Spin on perinatal testicular torsion. J Paediatr Child Health 42: 734–736. , , .
- 1999. Localization of calcitonin gene-related peptide within the genitofemoral nerve in immature rats. J Pediatr Surg 34: 986–991. , , , , .
- 2006. A new role for androgen in testicular descent: permitting gubernacular cell proliferation in response to the neuropeptide, calcitonin gene-related peptide. J Pediatr Surg 41: 407–412. , , , .
- 1993. The name cranial ovarian suspensory ligaments in mammalian anatomy should only be used to indicate the structures derived from the foetal cranial mesonephric and gonadal ligaments. Anat Rec 237: 434–438. .
- 1986. Testicular descent in the rat and a comparison of this process in the rat with that in the pig. Anat Rec 214: 154–160. .