Fax: +44 (0) 9097 2174
Chick Amniogenesis is Mediated by an Actin Cable
Article first published online: 25 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 294, Issue 7, pages 1143–1149, July 2011
How to Cite
Tipping, N. and Wilson, D. (2011), Chick Amniogenesis is Mediated by an Actin Cable. Anat Rec, 294: 1143–1149. doi: 10.1002/ar.21407
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 25 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 5 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Received: 13 OCT 2008
- 1948. Experiments on the development of the amnion in the chick. J Morphol 83: 359–371. .
- 1997. Bacterial toxins block endothelial wound repair. Evidence that Rho GTPases control cytoskeletal rearrangements in migrating endothelial cells. Arterioscl Thromb Vasc 17: 623–1629. , , , , .
- 2005. Extra-embryonic membranes. In: The atlas of chick development. 2nd ed. London: Elsevier, Academic Press. p 115–117. , .
- 1999. Wound-induced assembly and closure of an actomyosin purse string in Xenopus oocytes. Curr Biol 9: 579–587. , , .
- 2000. Rho GTPases and their effector proteins. Biochem J 48: 241–255. , .
- 1996. Healing of incisional wounds in the embryonic chick wing bud: characterization of the actin-purse string and demonstration of a requirement for Rho activation. J Cell Biol 135: 1097–1107. , , ,
- 1987. Effects of cytochalasin and phalloidin on actin. J Cell Biol 105: 1473–1478. .
- 1998. Actin ‘purse string’ filaments are anchored by E-cadherin-mediated adherens junctions at the leading edge of the epithelial wound, providing coordinated cell movement. J Cell Sci 111: 3323–3331. , .
- 1977. A descriptive and experimental study of amniotic fold formation in the chick embryo. PhD Thesis, University of Texas at Austin. .
- 1975. Locomotion of epithelial cells. Factors involved in extension of the leading edge. Exp Cell Res 95: 425–439. .
- 1977. Wound healing in the early chick embryo studied by scanning electron microscopy. Anat Embryol 152: 1–14. , .
- 2004. Multiple rows of cells behind an epithelial wound edge extend cryptic lamellipodia to collectively drive cell-sheet movement. J Cell Sci 118: 51–63. and .
- 1999. Parallels between wound repair and morphogenesis in the embryo. Semin Cell Dev Biol 10: 395–404. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2001. Mechanisms of epithelial fusion and repair. Nat Cell Biol 3: E117–E123. , , .
- 2002. Dynamic analysis of actin cable function during Drosophila dorsal closure. Curr Biol 12: 1245–1250. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Multiple forces contribute to cell morphogenesis for dorsal closure in Drosophila. J Cell Biol 149: 471–490. , , , , .
- 1998. Surface ectodermal wound healing in the chick embryo. J Anat 192: 497–506. , .
- 1903. Experimental studies on the development of the organs in the embryo of the fowl (Gallus domesticus). Biol Bull 5: 92–124. .
- 2006. A Rho-dependent actin purse-string is involved in wound repair in the early chick amnion following surgical puncture. Wound Repair Regen 14: 61–65. , , .
- 1992. Actin cables and epidermal movement in embryonic wound healing. Letters to Nature. Nature 360: 179–183. , .
- 2002. Epithelial fusions in the embryo. Curr Opin Cell Biol 14: 569–574. , .
- 1984. Osmium ferricyanide fixation improves microfilament preservation and membrane visualisation in a variety of animal cell types. J Ultra Mol Struct Res 86: 107–118. .
- 1994. Domains of differential cell proliferation and formation of amnion folds in chick embryo ectoderm. Anat Rec 238: 225–236. , , , .
- 1989. Fusion of epithelial sheets as seen in formation of the chick amnion. Cell Tissue Res 257: 141–147. .
- 2004. Wound healing and inflammation: embryos reveal the way to perfect repair. Phil Trans Royal Society London B. 359: 777–784. , , , , .
- 1992. The small GTP-binding protein Rho regulates the assembly of focal adhesions and actin stress fibers in response to growth factors. Cell 70: 389–399. , .
- 1960. The extraembryonic membranes. In: The avian embryo structural and functional development. New York: The Macmillan Company. p 1039–1140. .
- 2001. An epithelial cell destined for apoptosis signals its neighbors to extrude it by an actin- and myosin-dependant mechanism. Curr Biol 11: 1847–1857. , , .
- 1889. The proamnion and amnion in the chick. J Anat Physiol 24: 1–21. , .
- 1981. The chick embryo:a standard against which to judge in vitro systems. In: NeubertD, MerkerHJ, editors. Culture techniques – Applicability for studies on prenatal differentiation and toxicity. Berlin: De Gruyter. p 529–539. , .
- 1997. An actin-mediated two-step mechanism is required for ventral enclosure of the C. elegans hypodermis. Development 124: 2889–2901. , ,
- 2005. The small GTPase Rac plays multiple roles in epithelial sheet fusion – Dynamic studies of Drosophila dorsal closure. Dev Biol 282: 163–173. , , .