The Anatomy of the Dog Soft Palate. II. Histological Evaluation of the Caudal Soft Palate in Brachycephalic Breeds With Grade I Brachycephalic Airway Obstructive Syndrome
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 294, Issue 7, pages 1267–1272, July 2011
How to Cite
Pichetto, M., Arrighi, S., Roccabianca, P. and Romussi, S. (2011), The Anatomy of the Dog Soft Palate. II. Histological Evaluation of the Caudal Soft Palate in Brachycephalic Breeds With Grade I Brachycephalic Airway Obstructive Syndrome. Anat Rec, 294: 1267–1272. doi: 10.1002/ar.21417
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 APR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAR 2011
- Università degli Studi di Milano
- 1985. Upper airway obstruction. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 15: 902–904. , .
- The anatomy of the dog soft palate. I. Histological evaluation of the caudal soft palate in mesaticephalic breeds. Anat Rec 294: 1261–1266. , , , .
- 2002. Histopathology of the uvula and the soft palate in patients with mild, moderate, and severe obstructive sleep apnea. Laryngoscope 112: 357–363. , , , .
- 2007. A histopathological comparison of two techniques for soft palate resection in normal dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 43: 39–44. , , , , .
- 2007. Reconstruction and morphometric analysis of the nasal airway of the dog (Canis familiaris) and implications regarding olfactory airflow. Anat Rec 290: 1325–1340. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Overuse syndrome: a muscle biopsy study. Lancet 2: 903–908. , .
- 2005. The folded flap palatoplasty: a new technique for treatment of elongated soft palate in dogs. In: Proceedings of the 14th Annual Scientific Meeting of European College of Veterinary Surgeons, Marcy L'Etoile, France, E 19, p 3. , , .
- 1993. Miller's anatomy of the dog. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders. .
- 1942. Resection of the soft palate in the dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 100: 427–430. , .
- 1989. Injury to skeletal muscles of mice by forced lengthening during contractions. Q J Exp Physiol 74: 661–670. , , .
- 1977. Functional mediation of compensatory enlargement of the parotid gland. Cell Tissue Res 184: 249–254. , .
- 2000. Morphometric analysis of the uvula in patients with sleep-related breathing disorders. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 257: 232–236. , , , , .
- 1982. Upper airway obstruction surgery. 2. Soft palate resection in Brachycephalic dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 18: 538–544. .
- 1989. Inherited and congenital airway conditions. J Small Anim Pract 30: 184–187. .
- 1992. Brachycephalic airway syndrome. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 22: 1145–1153. .
- 1987. The English Bulldog: a natural model of sleep-disordered breathing. J Appl Physiol 63: 1344–1350. , , , , , .
- 1995. Brachycephalic syndrome. Seminars in Veterinary Medicine. Small Anim Surg 10: 109–114. .
- 2003. Brachycephalic syndrome in dogs. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 25: 48–55. , , , .
- 2005. Histologic study of intravelar structures in normal human adult specimens. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42: 481–489. , .
- 1991. Muscle damage induced by eccentric contractions of 25% strain. J Appl Physiol 77: 2498–2507. , , .
- 1985. Injury to skeletal muscle fibers of mice following lengthening contractions. J Appl Physiol 59: 119–126. , .
- 2002. Upper airway epithelial structural changes in obstructive sleep-disordered breathing. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166: 501–509. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Long-term results of upper respiratory syndrome surgery and gastrointestinal tract medical treatment in 51 brachycephalic dogs. J Small Anim Pract 47: 137–142. , , , .
- 2007. Surgical correction of brachycephalic syndrome in dogs: 62 cases (1991–2004). J Am Vet Med Assoc 230: 1324–1328. , , .
- 1988. Characterization of muscles injured by forced lengthening. I. Cellular infiltrates. Med Sci Sports Exerc 20: 345–353. , , , .
- 1941. The genetic and endocrinic basis for differences in form and behaviour: as elucidated by studies of contrasted pure-line dog breeds and their hybrids. The American Anatomical Memoirs, 19. Philadelphia: The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology. .
- 1994. Respiratory-related activity of soft palate muscles: augumentation by negative upper airway pressure. J Appl Physiol 76: 424–432. , , , , , .
- 1986. Cranial morphology of domestic and wild canids—the influence of development on morphological change. Evolution 40: 243–261. .
- 1991. Histopathologic changes in snoring and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Laryngoscope 101: 1318–1322. , , .
- 1991. Brachycephalic airway obstructive syndrome. Probl Vet Med 3: 188–197. .