Fax: (919) 513-6336
Two Myristoylated Alanine-Rich C-Kinase Substrate (MARCKS) Paralogs are Required for Normal Development in Zebrafish
Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 294, Issue 9, pages 1511–1524, September 2011
How to Cite
Ott, L. E., Mcdowell, Z. T., Turner, P. M., Law, J. M., Adler, K. B., Yoder, J. A. and Jones, S. L. (2011), Two Myristoylated Alanine-Rich C-Kinase Substrate (MARCKS) Paralogs are Required for Normal Development in Zebrafish. Anat Rec, 294: 1511–1524. doi: 10.1002/ar.21453
- Issue online: 17 AUG 2011
- Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Received: 3 SEP 2010
- 1992. The MARCKS brothers: A family of protein kinase C substrates. Cell 71: 713–716. .
- 1997. Identification and characterization of MARCKS in xenopus laevis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 234: 143–146. , , .
- 1995. A role for MARCKS, the alpha isozyme of protein kinase C and myosin I in zymosan phagocytosis by macrophages. J Exp Med 182: 829–840. , .
- 2002. Cross-talk unfolded: MARCKS proteins. Biochem J 362: 1–12. , , .
- 1993. The MARCKS family of cellular protein kinase C substrates. J Biol Chem 268: 1501–1504. .
- 1996. Developmental expression of MARCKS and protein kinase C in mice in relation to the exencephaly resulting from MARCKS deficiency. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 96: 62–75. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Imaging cell signalling and movement in development. Semin Cell Dev Biol 20: 947–955. , , .
- 2003. Myoblast migration is prevented by a calpain-dependent accumulation of MARCKS. Biol Cell 95: 615–623. , , , , .
- 2004. Myoblast migration is regulated by calpain through its involvement in cell attachment and cytoskeletal organization. Exp Cell Res 292: 187–200. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sequential activation of individual PKC isozymes in integrin-mediated muscle cell spreading: a role for MARCKS in an integrin signaling pathway. J Cell Sci 115: 2151–2163. , , , , .
- 2004. The bi-directional translocation of MARCKS between membrane and cytosol regulates integrin-mediated muscle cell spreading. J Cell Sci 117: 4469–4479. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate (MARCKS) protein regulation of human neutrophil migration. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 42: 586–594. , , , , .
- 1992. Complement receptor-mediated phagocytosis is associated with accumulation of phosphatidylcholine-derived diglyceride in human neutrophils. involvement of phospholipase D and direct evidence for a positive feedback signal of protein kinase. J Biol Chem 267: 2656–2663. , , , .
- 2000. T cell migration in three-dimensional extracellular matrix: guidance by polarity and sensations. Dev Immunol 7: 249–266. , .
- 2003. Development-associated myristoylated alanine-rich C kinase substrate phosphorylation in rat brain. Childs Nerv Syst 19: 152–158. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. MARCKS is an actin filament crosslinking protein regulated by protein kinase C and calcium-calmodulin. Nature 356: 618–622. , , , , , .
- 1993. Protein kinase C phosphorylates Ser152, Ser156 and Ser163 but not Ser160 of MARCKS in rat brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 190: 236–241. , , .
- 2004. Northern blot and in situ hybridization analyses for the development of myristoylated alanine-rich c-kinase substrate mRNA in the monkey cerebral cortex. Neuroscience 129: 167–177. , , , , , .
- 2004. Essential role of MARCKS in cortical actin dynamics during gastrulation movements. J Cell Biol 164: 169–174. , , .
- 2009. Enhanced transcription of complement and coagulation genes in the absence of adaptive immunity. Mol Immunol 46: 1505–1516. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Shaping the vertebrate body plan by polarized embryonic cell movements. Science 298: 1950–1954. .
- 2000. Involvement of the theta-type protein kinase C in translocation of myristoylated alanine-rich C kinase substrate (MARCKS) during myogenesis of chick embryonic myoblasts. Biochem J 347 ( Part 1): 139–146. , , , , .
- 2002. Involvement of protein phosphatase-1-mediated MARCKS translocation in myogenic differentiation of embryonic muscle cells. J Cell Sci 115: 2465–2473. , , , , , , .
- 2008. MEGA: a biologist-centric software for evolutionary analysis of DNA and protein sequences. Brief Bioinform 9: 299–306. , , , .
- 2007. Clustal W and clustal X version 2.0. Bioinformatics 23: 2947–2948. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. MARCKS protein is a key molecule regulating mucin secretion by human airway epithelial cells in vitro. J Biol Chem 276: 40982–40990. , , , .
- 2009. Zebrafish eaf1 and eaf2/u19 mediate effective convergence and extension movements through the maintenance of wnt11 and wnt5 expression. J Biol Chem 284: 16679–16692. , , , , .
- 2004. Stratagies of vertebrate neurulation and a re-evalulation of teleost neural tube formation. Mechanisms of Development 121: 1189- 1197. , .
- 2006. Resolution of inflammation by retrograde chemotaxis of neutrophils in transgenic zebrafish. J Leukoc Biol 80: 1281–1288. , , , , , .
- 2009. MARCKS silencing differentially affects human vascular smooth muscle and endothelial cell phenotypes to inhibit neointimal hyperplasia in saphenous vein. FASEB J 23: 557–564. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. MARCKS regulates membrane ruffling and cell spreading. Curr Biol 7: 611–614. , , , .
- 2009. Role of p38 MAPK in LPS induced pro-inflammatory cytokine and chemokine gene expression in equine leukocytes. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 129: 192–199. , , , , .
- 2008. MARCKS regulation of mucin secretion by airway epithelium in vitro: interaction with chaperones. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 39: 68–76. , , , , .
- 1987. Purification and characterization of an mr 87,000 protein kinase C substrate from rat brain. J Biol Chem 262: 16686–16691. , .
- 2006. A transgenic zebrafish model of neutrophilic inflammation. Blood 108: 3976–3978. , , , , , .
- 2007. P53 activation by knockdown technologies. PLoS Genet 3: e78. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Regulation of convergence and extension movements during vertebrate gastrulation by the Wnt/PCP pathway. Semin Cell Dev Biol 20: 986–997. , , .
- 2003. Neuroanatomical development in the absence of PKC phosphorylation of the myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate (MARCKS) protein. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 144: 25–42. , .
- 2009. Wnt signaling pathways meet rho GTPases. Genes Dev 23: 265–277. , , .
- 1996. Molecular determinants of the myristoyl-electrostatic switch of MARCKS. J Biol Chem 271: 18797–18802. , , , , .
- 2004. A MARCKS-related peptide blocks mucus hypersecretion in a mouse model of asthma. Nat Med 10: 193–196. , , , , , , .
- 1999. PKC-epsilon regulates basolateral endocytosis in human T84 intestinal epithelia: role of F-actin and MARCKS. Am J Physiol 277: C1239–49. , , , .
- Mammalian Gene Collection Program Team. 2002. Generation and initial analysis of more than 15,000 full-length human and mouse cDNA sequences. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 16899–16903. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. MARCKS deficiency in mice leads to abnormal brain development and perinatal death. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 944–948. , , , .
- 2004. The MARCKS family of phospholipid binding proteins: regulation of phospholipase D and other cellular components. Biochem Cell Biol 82: 191–200. , , .
- 1996. Nonmyristoylated MARCKS complements some but not all of the developmental defects associated with MARCKS deficiency in mice. Dev Biol 179: 135–147. , , , .
- 2006. PKC phosphorylates MARCKS Ser159 not only directly but also through RhoA/ROCK. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 345: 156–161. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genome duplication, a trait shared by 22000 species of ray-finned fish. Genome Res 13: 382–390. , , , , .
- 2001. Comparative genomics provides evidence for an ancient genome duplication event in fish. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 356: 1661–1679. , , , .
- 2004. Fast release clones: a high throughput expression analysis. ZFIN Direct Data Submission. Available at http://zfin.org. Accessed August 2010. , .
- 2008. The “electrostatic-switch” mechanism: Monte carlo study of MARCKS-membrane interaction. Biophys J 95: 1745–1757. , , .
- 2010. RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon signaling via Fyn/Yes and RhoA is essential for zebrafish convergence and extension cell movements during gastrulation. Dev Biol 340: 626–639. , , , .
- 2009. Molecular basis of morphogenesis during vertebrate gastrulation. Cell Mol Life Sci 66: 2263–2273. , .
- 2009. Collective cell migration in development. J Cell Sci 122: 3215–3223. .
- 2009. MARCKS modulates radial progenitor placement, proliferation and organization in the developing cerebral cortex. Development 136: 2965–2975. , , , , , .
- 2001. Actin filament cross-linking by MARCKS: characterization of two actin-binding sites within the phosphorylation site domain. J Biol Chem 276: 22351–22358. , , , .
- 2001. Apical accumulation of MARCKS in neural plate cells during neurulation in the chick embryo. BMC Dev Biol 1: 7. , .
- 2004. MARCKS in advanced stages of neural retina histogenesis. Dev Neurosci 26: 371–379. , .
- 2004. Identification of the chicken MARCKS phosphorylation site specific for differentiating neurons as ser 25 using a monoclonal antibody and mass spectrometry. J Proteome Res 3: 84–90. , , , , , .