Laminar Expression of Ephrin-A2 in Primary Somatosensory Cortex of Postnatal Rats
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 295, Issue 1, pages 105–112, January 2012
How to Cite
Kenmuir, C. L., Chiaia, N. L., Lane, R. D. and Mooney, R. D. (2012), Laminar Expression of Ephrin-A2 in Primary Somatosensory Cortex of Postnatal Rats. Anat Rec, 295: 105–112. doi: 10.1002/ar.21485
- Issue online: 14 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 29 NOV 2010
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: P01-NS149048
- 1993. Organized growth of thalamocortical axons from the deep tier of terminations into layer IV of developing mouse barrel cortex. J Neurosci 13: 5365–5382. , , , .
- 2002. Distinct actions of Emx1, Emx2, and Pax6 in regulating the specification of areas in the developing neocortex. J Neurosci 22: 7627–7638. , , .
- 2004. Multiple roles of ephrins during the formation of thalamocortical projections, maps and more. J Neurobiol 59: 82–94. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Ephrin-as guide the formation of functional maps in the visual cortex. Neuron 48: 577–589. , , , , , .
- 1997. Membrane-associated molecules regulate the formation of layer-specific cortical circuits. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 7000–7035. , .
- 1998. Dual action of a ligand for Eph receptor tyrosine kinases on specific populations of axons during the development of cortical circuits. J Neurosci 18: 4663–4672. , , , , .
- 1996. Individual axon morphology and thalamocortical topography in developing rat somatosensory cortex. J Comp Neurol 367: 36–53. , , .
- 2003. Axonal ephrin-As and odorant receptors: coordinate determination of the olfactory sensory map. Cell 8: 311–22. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Cellular localization of ephrin-A2, ephrin-A5, and other functional guidance cues underlies retinotopic development across species. J Neurosci 18: 975–986. , , , .
- 2010. EphrinA5 protein distribution in the developing mouse brain. BMC Neurosci 11: 105. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Area specificity and topography of thalamocortical projections are controlled by ephrin/Eph genes. Neuron 39: 453–465. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The ephrins and Eph receptors in neural development. Ann Rev Neurosci 21: 309–345. , .
- 1996. Eph receptors and ligands comprise two major specificity subclasses and are reciprocally compartmentalized during embryogenesis. Neuron 17: 9–19. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of thalamic neurite outgrowth by the Eph ligand ephrin-A5, implications in the development of thalamocortical projections. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 5329–5334. , , , , , .
- 1995. The formation of a cortical somatotopic map. TINS 18: 402–407. , , .
- 2004. Characterisation of tectal ephrin-A2 expression during optic nerve regeneration in goldfish, implications for restoration of topography. Exp Neurol 187: 380–387. , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of Eph receptors in skeletal muscle and their localization at the neuromuscular junction. Mol Cell Neurosci 17: 1034–1047. , , , , .
- 1998. Transient developmental expression of monoamine transporters in the rodent forebrain. J Comp Neurol 401: 506–524. , , , , , .
- 2005. Ephrin A2 may play a role in axon guidance during hair cell regeneration. Laryngoscope 115: 1021–1025. , .
- 1977. Development of the geniculocortical pathway in rats. J Comp Neurol 173: 289–306. , .
- 1999. Regional differences in the developing cerebral cortex revealed by ephrin-A5 expression. Cereb Cortex 9: 601–610. , , , .
- 2002. Ephrins regulate the formation of terminal axonal arbors during the development of thalamocortical projections. Development 129: 3945–3955. , , , , .
- 2000. Distinct expression patterns of eph receptors and ephrins relate to the structural organization of the adult rat peripheral vestibular system. Eur J Neurosci 12: 1599–1616. , , .
- 1991. Lack of regional specificity for connections formed between thalamus and cortex in coculture. Nature 351: 475–477. , .
- 1999. Development of signals influencing the growth and termination of thalamocortical axons in organotypic culture. Exp Neurol 156: 363–393. , .
- 1997. A hierarchy of Hu RNA binding proteins in developing and adult neurons. J Neurosci 17: 3024–3037. , .
- 2008. Adaptive changes in gene expression patterns in the somatosensory cortex after deletion of ephrinA5. Mol Cell Neurosci 39: 21–31. , , , , .
- 2000. Malformation of the functional organization of somatosensory cortex in adult ephrin-A5 knock-out mice revealed by in vivo functional imaging. J Neurosci 20: 5841–5847. , , , , , .
- 2006. The development of cortical connections. Eur J Neurosci 23: 910–920. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Eph/ephrin expression in the adult rat visual system following localized retinal lesions, localized and transneuronal up-regulation in the retina and superior colliculus. Eur J Neurosci 22: 1840–1852. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of acetylcholinesterase in the developing barrel cortex of three rodent species. Cereb Cortex 6: 377–387. , , .
- 2001. Independent parcellation of the embryonic visual cortex and thalamus revealed by combinatorial Eph/ephrin gene expression. Curr Biol 1: 39–43. , , .
- 2002. EphA receptors and ephrin-A ligands exhibit highly regulated spatial and temporal expression patterns in the developing olfactory system. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 138: 1–14. , , .
- 2002. Miswiring of limbic thalamocortical projections in the absence of ephrin-A5. J Neurosci 22: 9352–9357. , , , , , .
- 2008. Ephrin-A5 promotes the formation of terminal thalamocortical arbors. Neuroreport 19: 877–881. , , .
- 2000. A mapping label required for normal scale of body representation in the cortex. Nat Neurosci 3: 358–365. , , , , , , .
- 2005 Denervation-induced spatiotemporal upregulation of ephrin-A2 in the mouse hippocampus after transections of the perforant path. FEBS Lett 579: 1055–1060. , , .
- 1979. Changes in the visual system of monocularly sutured or enucleated cats demonstrable with cytochrome oxidase histochemistry. Brain Res 171: 11–28. .
- 1970. The structural organization of layer IV in the somatosensory region (SI) of mouse cerebral cortex. The description of a cortical field composed of discrete cytoarchitectonic units. Brain Res 17: 205–242. , .
- 2000. Laminar specificity of local circuits in barrel cortex of ephrin-A5 knockout mice. J Neurosci 20: 1–4. , , .
- 1997. Stop and branch behaviors of geniculocortical axons, a time-lapse study in organotypic cocultures. J Neurosci 17: 3653–3663. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of factors regulating lamina-specific growth of thalamocortical axons. J Neurobiol 42: 56–68. , , , , , .
- 1992. Laminar specificity of extrinsic cortical connections studied in coculture preparations. Neuron 9:217–228. , , , .
- 1996. Detection of ligands in regions anatomically connected to neurons expressing the Eph receptor Bsk: potential roles in neuron-target interaction. J Neurosci 16: 7182–7192. , , , , .