Fax: +86 571 88208094.
The Expression of Neuronal Nitric Oxide Synthase in the Brain of the Mouse During Embryogenesis
Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 295, Issue 3, pages 504–514, March 2012
How to Cite
Ling, S., Zhou, J., Rudd, J. A., Hu, Z. and Fang, M. (2012), The Expression of Neuronal Nitric Oxide Synthase in the Brain of the Mouse During Embryogenesis. Anat Rec, 295: 504–514. doi: 10.1002/ar.22408
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 20 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Received: 6 OCT 2011
- Medical Science Research Foundation of Zhejiang Province. Grant Number: 2009B134
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 30570586
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 81171240
- 2010. Postnatal development of neurons, interneurons and glial cells in the substantia nigra of mice. Cell Mol Neurobiol 30: 917–928. , , , , , , .
- 2001a. Assessment of agonism at G-protein coupled receptors by phosphatidic acid and lysophosphatidic acid in human embryonic kidney 293 cells. Br J Pharmacol 134: 6–9. , , , , .
- 2001b. Nitric oxide synthases: structure, function and inhibition. Biochem J 357: 593–615. , , .
- 1978. Development of the diencephalon in the rat. II. Correlation of the embryonic development of the hypothalamus with the time of origin of its neurons. J Comp Neurol 182: 973–993. , .
- 1995. Regeneration in the adult mammalian CNS: guided by development. Curr Opin Neurobiol 5: 625–635. , , .
- 1997. Nitric oxide synthase in the adult and developing thalamus: histochemical and immunohistochemical study in the rat. J Comp Neurol 388: 89–105. , .
- 1997. Nitric oxide synthase-expressing neurons are area-specifically distributed within the cerebral cortex of the rat. Neuroscience 81: 321–330. , , , , , .
- 1991. Nitric oxide synthase protein and mRNA are discretely localized in neuronal populations of the mammalian CNS together with NADPH diaphorase. Neuron 7: 615–624. , , , , , .
- 1994a. Nitric oxide: a physiologic messenger molecule. Annu Rev Biochem 63: 175–195. , .
- 1994b. Transient nitric oxide synthase neurons in embryonic cerebral cortical plate, sensory ganglia, and olfactory epithelium. Neuron 13: 301–313. , .
- 1999. Histochemical observation of nitric oxide synthase in trigeminal ganglion of rats with experimental pulpitis. J Tongji Med Univ 19: 77–80. , .
- 1999. Neuronal nitric oxide synthase expression in developing and adult human CNS. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 58: 12–21. , , , , , .
- 1999. NMDA receptor-mediated refinement of a transient retinotectal projection during development requires nitric oxide. J Neurosci 19: 229–235. , , , .
- 2010. Alterations of interneurons in the striatum and frontal cortex of mice during postnatal development. Int J Dev Neurosci 28: 359–370. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of neuronal proliferation and differentiation by nitric oxide. Mol Neurobiol 27: 107–120. .
- 1994. Expression of mouse brain soluble guanylyl cyclase and NO synthase during ontogeny. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 81: 269–283. , , , .
- 2008. Distinct immunohistochemically defined areas in the medial amygdala in the developing and adult mouse. Brain Res Bull 75: 214–217. , , .
- 2003. Distinct types of nitric oxide-producing neurons in the developing and adult mouse claustrum. J Comp Neurol 465: 431–444. , , , .
- 2010. Analysis of neuronal nitric oxide synthase expression and increasing astrogliosis in the brain of senescence-accelerated-prone 8 mice. Int J Neurosci 120: 602–608. , , , , , .
- 1997. Nitric oxide donors enhance neurotrophin-induced neurite outgrowth through a cGMP-dependent mechanism. J Neurosci Res 47: 427–439. , , , , , .
- 2012. Development of the human corpus striatum and the presence of nNOS and 5HT 2A cells. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 295: 127–131. , , .
- 1999. Identification of a neural stem cell in the adult mammalian central nervous system. Cell 96: 25–34. , , , , , .
- 1985. The thalamus. New York: Plenum Press. .
- 2000. Role of nitric oxide in the regulation of monoaminergic neurotransmission. Brain Res Bull 52: 459–466. .
- 2006. Moderately different NADPH-diaphorase positivity in the selected peripheral nerves after ischemia/ reperfusion injury of the spinal cord in rabbit. Cell Mol Neurobiol 26: 1311–1325. , , , , .
- 1994. Long-distance neuronal migration in the adult mammalian brain. Science 264: 1145–1148. , .
- 2010. Coexpression of serotonin and nitric oxide in the raphe complex: cortical versus subcortical circuit. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293: 1954–1965. , , , .
- 1993. Restricted proliferation and migration of postnatally generated neurons derived from the forebrain subventricular zone. Neuron 11: 173–189. .
- 1992. Ontogenesis of the pyramidal cell of the mammalian neocortex and developmental cytoarchitectonics: a unifying theory. J Comp Neurol 321: 223–240. .
- 2007. Structure and chemical organization of the accessory olfactory bulb in the goat. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 290: 301–310. , , , , , .
- 1992. The 1991 Ulf von Euler Lecture. The L-arginine: nitric oxide pathway. Acta Physiol Scand 145: 201–227. .
- 2003. Developing patterns of nitric oxide synthesizing neurons in the rat striatum: histochemical analysis. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 141: 91–99. , .
- 1998. Immunohistochemical and enzyme-histochemical study on the accessory olfactory bulb of the dog. Anat Rec 252: 393–402. , , , , , .
- 1994. Nitric oxide synthases: roles, tolls, and controls. Cell 78: 915–918. , .
- 1999. Different distributions of nitric oxide synthase-containing neurons in the mouse and rat hypothalamus. Nitric Oxide 3: 383–392. , , .
- 1996. Neuronal nitric oxide synthase expression in neuronal cell differentiation. Neurosci Lett 204: 89–92. , , , .
- 2005. Distribution of nitric oxide-producing neurons in the developing and adult mouse amygdalar basolateral complex. Brain Res Bull 66: 465–469. , , , , .
- 2002. Nitric oxide synthase in the frog cerebellum: response of Purkinje neurons to unilateral eighth nerve transection. Anat Rec 268: 73–83. , , , , .
- 1994. Localization of nitric oxide synthase in the adult rat brain. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 345: 175–221. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of neuronal nitric oxide synthase during embryonic development of the rat cerebral cortex. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 111: 205–222. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Structural and functional features of choroid epithelium from buffalo brain. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 290: 1399–1412. , , , , , .
- 2009. Increase in NADPH-diaphorase-positive and neuronal NO synthase immunoreactive neurons in the rat spinal trigeminal nucleus following infusion of a NO donor—evidence for a feed-forward process in NO production involved in trigeminal nociception. Cephalalgia 29: 566–579. , , , , .
- 1999. Post-traumatic migration and emergence of a novel cell line upon the ependymal surface of the third cerebral ventricle in the adult mammalian brain. Anat Rec 256: 233–241. .
- 1988. Different times of origin of choline acetyltransferase- and somatostatin-immunoreactive neurons in the rat striatum. J Neurosci 8: 3937–3944. , , .
- 1995. In situ labeling of apoptotic cell death in the cerebral cortex and thalamus of rats during development. J Comp Neurol 363: 281–295. , , , , .
- 2005. Distribution of GABA, calbindin and nitric oxide synthase in the developing chick entopallium. Brain Res Bull 66: 441–444. , , , .
- 1993. Ontogeny of the rat hypothalamic nitric oxide synthase and colocalization with neuropeptides. Mol Cell Neurosci 4: 155–163. , , .
- 2010. Nitric oxide neurons and neurotransmission. Prog Neurobiol 90: 246–255. .
- 1983. NADPH-diaphorase: a selective histochemical marker for striatal neurons containing both somatostatin- and avian pancreatic polypeptide (APP)-like immunoreactivities. J Comp Neurol 217: 252–263. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Histochemical mapping of nitric oxide synthase in the rat brain. Neuroscience 46: 755–784. , .
- 1996. Reproductive state changes NADPH-diaphorase staining in the paraventricular and supraoptic nuclei of female rats. Brain Res 739: 339–342. , .
- 1993. Nitric oxide modulates the release of vasopressin from rat hypothalamic explants. Endocrinology 133: 1466–1469. , , , , , .
- 2000. Decrease of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in the cerebellum of aged rats. Neurosci Lett 291: 37–40. , , , , .
- 2006. Developmental changes of nitric oxide synthase expression in the rat hypothalamoneurohypophyseal system. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288: 36–45. , , , .
- 2011. Working memory deficits in neuronal nitric oxide synthase knockout mice: potential impairments in prefrontal cortex mediated cognitive function. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 408: 707–712. , , , , , , , , .