Yuan-Yu Zhao and Xiao-Yan Shi are co-first authors.
Enriched Environment Increases the Myelinated Nerve Fibers of Aged Rat Corpus Callosum†
Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 295, Issue 6, pages 999–1005, June 2012
How to Cite
Zhao, Y.-Y., Shi, X.-Y., Qiu, X., Lu, W., Yang, S., Li, C., Chen, L., Zhang, L., Cheng, G.-H. and Tang, Y. (2012), Enriched Environment Increases the Myelinated Nerve Fibers of Aged Rat Corpus Callosum. Anat Rec, 295: 999–1005. doi: 10.1002/ar.22446
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2011
- Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: NSFC, 30973155 and 81171238
- 2008 Specialized Research Grants for the Doctoral Training Program from the Ministry of Education, P. R. China. Grant Number: 200806310007
- Key Projects of Natural Science Foundation of Chongqing Government. Grant Numbers: CSTC, 2009BA5035
- 2008 Key Projects of Chongqing Medical University Foundation. Grant Number: XBZD200801
- 2009 Projects for Supporting Excellent Ph.D. Students of Chongqing Medical University
- 2004. Age-related myelin breakdown: a developmental model of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging 25: 5–18; author reply 49–62. .
- 2005. Extensive piano practicing has regionally specific effects on white matter development. Nat Neurosci 8: 1148–1150. , , , , , .
- 1994. Human corpus callosum in aging and Alzheimer's disease: a magnetic resonance imaging study. Neurobiol Aging 15: 393–397. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The role of the corpus callosum in interhemispheric transfer of information: excitation or inhibition? Neuropsychol Rev 15: 59–71. , .
- 1986. The impact of recent stereological advances on quantitative studies of the nervous system. J Neurosci Methods 18: 39–78. , .
- 1989. The use of the Morris Water Maze in the study of memory and learning. Int J Neurosci 48: 29–69. , , .
- 2004. Stability of synaptic plasticity in the adult rat visual cortex induced by complex environment exposure. Brain Res 1018: 130–135. , , .
- 1982. Sexual dimorphism in the human corpus callosum. Science 216: 1431–1432. , .
- 2008. White matter in learning, cognition and psychiatric disorders. Trends Neurosci 31: 361–370. .
- 2003. Enrichment enhances spatial memory and increases synaptophysin levels in aged female mice. Neurobiol Aging 24: 615–626. , .
- 2008. Classical disconnection studies of the corpus callosum. Cortex 44: 914-927. , .
- 1977. Notes on the estimation of the numerical density of arbitrary particles: the edge effect. J Microsc 111: 219–223. .
- 1999. The efficiency of systematic sampling in stereology–reconsidered. J Microsc 193: 199–211. , , , .
- 1952. The effects of experimental variations on problem solving in the rat. J Comp Physiol Psychol 45: 313–321. .
- 1988. Sex and environmental influences on the size and ultrastructure of the rat corpus callosum. Brain Res 450: 1–8. , .
- 2002. Neuroplasticity in old age: sustained fivefold induction of hippocampal neurogenesis by long-term environmental enrichment. Ann Neuro 52: 135–143. , , .
- 1997. More hippocampal neurons in adult mice living in an enriched environment. Nature 386: 493–495. , , .
- 1998. Experience-induced neurogenesis in the senescent dentate gyrus. J Neurosci 18: 3206–3212. , , .
- 2005. Different types of environmental enrichment have discrepant effects on spatial memory and synaptophysin levels in female mice. Neurobiol Learn Mem 83: 206–216. , , .
- 2010. White matter neuroplastic changes in long-term trained players of the game of “Baduk” (GO): a voxel-based diffusion-tensor imaging study. Neuroimage 52: 9–19. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Environmental enrichment promotes improved spatial abilities and enhanced dendritic growth in the rat. Behav Brain Res 163: 78–90. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Experience-dependent plasticity of white-matter microstructure extends into old age. Neuropsychologia 48: 3878–3883. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Myelination of the corpus callosum in male and female rats following complex environment housing during adulthood. Brain Res 1288: 9–17. , , , , .
- 2003. Marked loss of myelinated nerve fibers in the human brain with age. J Comp Neurol 462: 144–152. , , , .
- 2007. Aging, plasticity and environmental enrichment: structural changes and neurotransmitter dynamics in several areas of the brain. Brain Res Rev 55: 78–88. , , .
- 1984. Developments of a water-maze procedure for studying spatial learning in the rat. J Neurosci Methods 11: 47–60. .
- 1999. Enriched environment increases neurogenesis in the adult rat dentate gyrus and improves spatial memory. J Neurobiol 39: 569–578. , , , , .
- 1992. The isector: a simple and direct method for generating isotropic, uniform random sections from small specimens. J Microsc 165: 27–431. , .
- 1988. The corpus callosum is larger with right-hemisphere cerebral speech dominance. Ann Neurol 24: 379–383. , , , , , , .
- 1986. The topography of commissural fibres. In: Lepore F, Ptito M, Jaspar H, editors. Two hemispheres - one brain: functions of the corpus callosum. Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York. , .
- 2002. Aging and the myelinated fibers in prefrontal cortex and corpus callosum of the monkey. J Comp Neurol 442: 277–291. , .
- 1998. Differential rearing affects corpus callosum size and cognitive function of rhesus monkeys. Brain Res 812: 38–49. , , , , .
- 1995. Increased corpus callosum size in musicians. Neuropsychologia 33: 1047–1055. , , , , .
- 2009. Training induces changes in white-matter architecture. Nat Neurosci 12: 1370–1371. , , , .
- 2009. Environmental enrichment, prefrontal cortex, stress, and aging of the brain. J Neural Transm 116: 1007–1016. , , .
- 1987. Differential rearing effects on rat visual cortex synapses. III. Neuronal and glial nuclei, boutons, dendrites, and capillaries. Brain Res 424: 320–332. , .
- 1992. Sex but no hand difference in the isthmus of the corpus callosum. Neurology 42: 749–752. , , , , , .
- 1977. Response of the three main types of glial cells of cortex and corpus callosum in rats handled during suckling or exposed to enriched, control and impoverished environments following weaning. J Comp Neurol 172: 247–263. , .
- 1997. A stereological method for estimating the total length and size of myelin fibers in human brain white matter. J Neurosci Methods 73: 193–200. , .
- 1997. Age-induced white matter changes in the human brain: a stereological investigation. Neurobiol Aging 18: 609–615. , , , .
- 2003. Stereology of neuronal connections (myelinated fibers of white matter and synapses of neocortex) in human brain. Image Anal Stereol 20: 171–182. , , , .
- 1985. Differential rearing effects on rat visual cortex synapses. I. Synaptic and neuronal density and synapses per neuron. Brain Res 329: 195–203. , .
- 2000. Neural consequences of environmental enrichment. Nat Rev Neurosci 1: 191–198. , , .
- 1985. The brain connection: the corpus callosum is larger in left-handers. Science 229: 665–668. .
- 1989. Hand and sex differences in the isthmus and genu of the human corpus callosum. A postmortem morphological study. Brain 112: 799–835. .
- 1995. Functional significance of individual variations in callosal area. Neuropsychologia 33: 769–779. , , , , .