Enriched Environment and White Matter in Aging Brain
Article first published online: 7 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 295, Issue 9, pages 1406–1414, September 2012
How to Cite
Yang, S., Lu, W., Zhou, D.-S. and Tang, Y. (2012), Enriched Environment and White Matter in Aging Brain. Anat Rec, 295: 1406–1414. doi: 10.1002/ar.22526
- Issue published online: 16 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 7 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 FEB 2012
- Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC). Grant Numbers: 30973155, 81171238
- Research Foundation for 100 Academic and Discipline Talented Leaders of Chongqing, P. R. China
- 1993. Neuropsychological and neurophysiological changes in healthy adult humans across the age range. Neurobiol Aging 14: 623–625. .
- 2003. White matter structural integrity in healthy aging adults and patients with Alzheimer disease: a magnetic resonance imaging study. Arch Neurol 60: 393–398. , , , , , .
- 2005. Extensive piano practicing has regionally specific effects on white matter development. Nat Neurosci 8: 1148–1150. , , , , , .
- 1964. Chemical and anatomical plasticity of the brain. Science 164: 610–619. , , , .
- 1969. Rat brain: effects of environmental enrichment on wet and dry weights. Science 163: 825–826. , , .
- 2002. The origin of the term plasticity in the neurosciences: Ernesto Lugaro and chemical synaptic transmission. J Hist Neurosci 11: 305–309. .
- 1999. Effects of prolonged exposure to and subsequent removal from a complex environment on corpus callosum myelination in the adult rat, Soc Neurosci Abstr 25: 638. , , , .
- 1955. Organization of the cerebral cortex III: a study of aging in the human cerebral cortex. J Comp Neurol 102: 511–516. .
- 2004. Buckner memory and executive function in aging and AD: multiple factors that cause decline and reserve factors that compensate. Neuron 44: 195–208. .
- 2005. Memory dysfunction. N Engl J Med 352: 692–699. , .
- 2011. Age-related changes of the oligodendrocytes in rat subcortical white matter. Anat Rec 294: 487–493. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Age dependent white matter lesions and brain volume changes in healthy volunteers. Acta Radiol 35: 117–122. , , , , .
- 1972. The elderly brain: a quantitative analysis in the cerebral cortex of two cases. Psychiatr Neurol Neurochir 75: 261–270. .
- 2000. Cerebral white matter lesions and cognitive function: the Rotterdam scan study. Ann Neurol 47: 145–151. , , , , , , .
- 1980. Neuron loss in the aging visual cortex of man. J Gerontol 35: 836–841. , .
- 1996. Psychological stress impairs spatial working memory: relevance to electrophysiological studies of hippocampal function. Behav Neurosci 110: 661–672. , , , .
- 1967. Extensive cortical depth measurements and neuron size increases in the cortex of environmentally enriched rats. J Comp Neurol 131: 357–364. .
- 2006. Activation of early components of complement targets myelin and oligodendrocytes in the aged rhesus monkey brain. Neurobiol Aging 27: 633–644. , , , .
- 2003. The neurobiology of memory changes in normal aging. Exp Gerontol 38: 61–69. , .
- 2004. Environmental enrichment-behavior-oxidative stress interactions in the aged rat. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1019: 53–57. , , , , .
- 2001. Mechanism for increased hippocampal synaptic strength following differential experience. J Neurophysiol 85: 1377–1383. , .
- 2003. Enrichment enhances spatial memory and increases synaptophysin levels in aged female mice. Neurobiol Aging 24: 615–626. , .
- 1998. Effects of enriched postoperative housing conditions on spatial memory deficits in rats with selective lesions of the hippocampus, subiculum or entorhinal cortex. Restor Neutol Neurosci 13: 173–184. , , .
- 1997. Effects of postoperative housing conditions on functional recovery in rats with lesions of the hippocampus, subiculum, or entorhinal cortex. Neurobiol Learn Mem 67: 43–56. , , , .
- 1996. Circuit-specific alterations of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunit 1 in the dentate gyrus of agedmonkeys. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 3121–3125. , , , , .
- 1973. Effects of differential experience on dendritic spine counts in rat cerebral cortex. J Comp Physiol Psychol 82: 175–181. , , , .
- 2000. Changes in memory processing with age. Curr Opin Neurobiol 10: 224–231. , .
- 1996. Overexpression of 2′,3′-cyclic nucleotide 3′-phosphodiesterase in transgenic mice alters oligodendrocyte development and produces aberrant myelination. Mol Cell Neurosci 7: 453–466. , , , , , .
- 1986. Altered synaptic transmission in dentate gyrus of rats reared in complex environments: evidence from hippocampal slices maintained in vitro. J Neurophysiol 55: 739–750. , .
- 1973. Pattern of dendritic branching in occipital cortex of rats reared in complex environments. Exp Neurol 40: 491–504. , .
- 1986. Stereology of arbitrary particles: a review of unbiased number and size estimators and the presentation of some new ones, in memory of Williams R, Thomsen. J Microsc 143: 3–45. .
- 1988. The new stereological tools: disector, fractionator, nucleator and point sampling intercepts and their use in pathological research and diagnosis. APMIS 96: 857–881. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. White matter changes with normal aging. Neurology 50: 972–978. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Synaptic characteristics of dentate gyrus axonal boutons and their relationships with aging, menopause, and memory in female rhesus monkeys. J Neurosci 31: 7737–7744. , , , , , .
- 1984. Macroscopic and microscopic morphometry of the human brain and cortex. A survey in the light of new results. Brain Pathol 1: 123–149. .
- 1985. Are neurons of the human cerebral cortex really lost during aging? A morphometric evaluation. In: Traber J, Gispen WH, editors. Senile dementia of the Alzheimer type. Berlin: Springer. p 150–163. .
- 1984. The significance of morphometric procedures in the investigation of age changes in cytoarchitectonic structures of human brain. J Hirnforch 25: 353–374. , , , , .
- 1949. The organization of behavior: a neuropsychological theory. New York: Wiley. .
- 1980. Cell counts in human cerebral cortex in normal adults throughout life using an image analyzing computer. J Neurol Sci 46: 113–136. , , .
- 2001. Effects of age on tissues and regions of the cerebrum and cerebellum. Neurobiol Aging 22: 581–594. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Differential rearing experience, gender, and radial maze performance. Dev Psychobiol 17: 209–215. , , .
- 1988. Sex and environmental influences on the size and ultrastructure of the rat corpus callosum. Brain Res 450: 1–8. , .
- 1997. More hippocampal neurons in adult mice living in an enriched environment. Nature 386: 493–495. , , .
- 2002. Effects of enriched environments with different durations and starting times on learning capacity during aging in rats assessed by a refined procedure of the Hebb–Williams maze task. J Neurosci Res 70: 340–346. , , .
- 2006. Enriched environment after focal cortical ischemia enhances the generation of astroglia and NG2 positive polydendrocytes in adult rat neocortex. Exp Neurol 199: 113–121. , , , , .
- 2005. Experience induces structural and biochemical changes in the adult primate brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 17478–17482. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Longitudinal MRI and cognitive change in healthy elderly. Neuropsychology 21: 412–418. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the adult rat: age-related decrease of neuronal progenitor proliferation. J Neurosci 16: 2027–2033. , , .
- 2010. White matter neuroplastic changes in long-term trained players of the game of “Baduk” (GO): a voxel-based diffusion-tensor imaging study. Neuroimage 52: 9–19. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Environmental enrichment promotes improved spatial abilities and enhanced dendritic growth in the rat. Behav Brain Res 163: 78–90. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Age- and sex-related effects on the neuroanatomy of healthy elderly. Neuroimage 26: 900–911. , , , , , .
- 2007. Diminished adult neurogenesis in the marmoset brain precedes old age. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 17169–17173. , , , .
- 2009. Demyelination induces the decline of the myelinated fiber length in aged white matter. Anat Rec 292: 528–535. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Extensive enriched environments protect old rats from the aging dependent impairment of spatial cognition, synaptic plasticity and nitric oxide production. Behav Brain Res 169: 294–302. , , , , , , , , , .
- LADIS Study Group. 2006. Development of a neuropsychological battery for the leukoaraiosis and disability in the elderly study (LADIS): experience and baseline data. Neuroepidemiology 27: 101–116. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Enriched environment promotes adult neural progenitor cell mobilization in mouse demyelination models. Eur J Neurosci 25: 761–771. , , , , .
- 2003. Marked loss of myelinated fibers in human brain with age. J Comp Neurol 462: 144–152. , , , .
- 1992. Age-related white matter atrophy in the human brain. Ann N Y Acad Sci 673: 260–269. , , , .
- 1997. Life and death of neurons in the aging brain. Science 278: 412–419. , .
- 1995. Exercise and brain neurotrophins. Nature 373: 109. , , , .
- 1999. Enriched environment increases neurogenesis in the adult rat dentate gyrus and improves spatial memory. J Neurobiol 39: 569–578. , , , , .
- 2001. Evidence for cortical “disconnection” as a mechanism of age-related cognitive decline. Neurology 57: 632–638. , , , , , .
- 2009. Environmental enrichment stimulates progenitor cell proliferation in the amygdala. J Neurosci Res 87: 3546–3553. , , , , , .
- 1997. Neocortical neuron number in humans: effect of sex and age. J Comp Neurol 384: 312–320. , .
- 1992. Brief exposure to an enriched environment improves performance on the Morris water task and increases hippocampal cytosolic protein kinase C activity in young rats. Behav Brain Res 52: 49–59. , , , , .
- 1998. Feature article: are neurons lost from primate cerebral cortex during normal aging? Cereb Cortex 8: 295–300. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of aging on myelinated nerve fibers in monkey primary visual cortex. J Comp Neurol 419: 364–376. , , .
- 2001. Effects of age on the thickness of myelin sheaths in monkey primary visual cortex. J Comp Neurol 435: 241–248. , , .
- 2002. Aging and the myelinated fibers in prefrontal cortex and corpus callosum of the monkey. J Comp Neurol 442: 277–291. , .
- 2003. Is there remyelination during aging of the primate central nervous system? J Comp Neurol 460: 238–254. , .
- 1999b. Changes in brain nerve growth factor levels and nerve growth factor receptors in rats exposed to environmental enrichment for 1 year. Neuroscience 94: 279–286. , , , , , .
- 1999a. Effects of environmental enrichment on cognitive function and hippocampal NGF in the non-handled rats. Behav Brain Res 103: 63–70. , , , .
- 1996. Preserved neuron number in the hippocampus of aged rats with spatial learning deficits. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 9926–9930. , .
- 2005. CNP is required for maintenance of axon-glia interactions at nodes of Ranvier in the CNS. Glia 50: 86–90. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Psychobiology of plasticity: effects of training and experience on brain and behavior. Behav Brain Res 78: 57–65. , .
- 1978. Social grouping cannot account for cerebral effects of enriched environments. Brain Res 153: 563–576. , , , .
- 1994. Decreased synaptic density in aged brains and its prevention by rearing under enriched environment as revealed by synaptophysin contents. J Neurosci Res 39: 57–62. , , , , , .
- 1998. Differential rearing affects corpus callosum size and cognitive function of rhesus monkeys. Brain Res 812: 38–49. , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of age on nerve fibers in the rhesus monkey optic nerve. J Comp Neurol 429: 541–553. , .
- 2002. Effects of age on the glial cells in the rhesus monkey optic nerve. J Comp Neurol 445: 13–28. , .
- 2003. Disrupted myelin and axon loss in the anterior commissure of the aged rhesus monkey. J Comp Neurol 466: 14–30. , .
- 2009. Training induces changes in white-matter architecture. Nat Neurosci 12: 1370–1371. , , , .
- 2006. Environmental enrichment promotes neurogenesis and changes the extracellular concentrations of glutamate and GABA in the hippocampus of aged rats. Brain Res Bull 70: 8–14. , , , .
- 1973. Absolute number of neurons and thickness of the cerebral cortex during aging, senile vascular dementia, and Pick's and Alzheimer's diseases. Neurosci Behav Physiol 6: 319–324. .
- 2005. Cognitive correlates of cerebral white matter lesions and water diffusion tensor parameters in community-dwelling older people. Cerebrovasc Dis 20: 310–318. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Remyelination occurs as extensively but more slowly in old rats compared to young rats following gliotoxin-induced CNS demyelination. Glia 28: 77–83. , , , .
- 2002. The age-related decrease in CNS remyelination efficiency is attributable to an impairment of both oligodendrocyte progenitor recruitment and differentiation. J Neurosci 22: 2451–2459. , , , .
- 1987. Differential rearing effects on rat visual cortex synapses. III. Neuronal and glial nuclei, boutons, dendrites, and capillaries. Brain Res 424: 320–332. , .
- 1999. Behavioural and glial changes in old rats following environmental enrichment. Behav Brain Res 101: 37–49. , , , .
- 1984. The unbiased estimation of number and sizes of arbitrary particles using the dissector. J Microsc 134: 127–136. .
- 2006. Selective age-related degradation of anterior callosal fiber bundles quantified in vivo with fiber t racking. Cereb Cortex 16: 1030–1039. , , .
- 1977. Response of the three main types of glial cells of cortex and corpus callosum in rats handled during suckling or exposed to enriched, control and impoverished environments following weaning. J Comp Neurol 172: 247–263. , .
- 2010. Training of working memory impacts structural connectivity. J Neurosci 30: 3297–3303. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Age-induced white matter changes in the human brain: a stereological investigation. Neurobiol Aging 18: 609–615. , , , .
- 1980. Myelination in rabbit optic nerves is accelerated by artificial eye opening. Neurosci Lett 16: 235–238. , , .
- 2011. Age-dependent alterations in nerve growth factor (NGF)-related proteins, sortilin, and learning and memory in rats. Physiol Behav 102: 149–157. , , .
- 1987. Neocortical cell counts in normal human adult aging. Ann Neurol 21: 530–539. , , .
- 1996. Differential environmental modulations on locomotor activity, exploration and spatial behaviour in young and old rats. Physiol Behav 59: 265–271. , .
- 2009. White matter helps brain learn: researchers demonstrate a role for the brain's connective tissue in learning a new task. Available at: http://www.the-scientist.com/news/print/55830/ .
- 1989. Age-related changes in multiple neurotransmitter systems in the monkey brain. Neurobiol Aging 10: 11–19. , , , , .
- 2001. Environmental enrichment: effects on spatial memory and hippocampal CREB immunoreactivity. Physiol Behav 73: 649–658. , , , , , , .
- 2009a. Age-related changes of corpus callosum volume and myelinated fibers in frontal region of corpus callosum in rats. Chinese J Anat 32: 135–140. , , , , , .
- 2009b. Age-related changes of corpus callosum volume and myelinated fibers in frontal region of corpus callosum in rats. Chin J Anat 32: 135–139. , , , , , .
- 2008. Sex differences in the white matter and myelinated nerve fibers of Long-Evans rats. Brain Res 1216: 16–23. , , , , .
- 2009. The myelinated fiber changes in the white matter of aged female Long-Evans rats. J Neurosci Res 87: 1582–1590. , , , , .
- 1997. CNP overexpression induces aberrant oligodendrocyte membranes and inhibits MBP accumulation and myelin compaction. J Neurosci Res 50: 238–247. , , , , .
- 1993. White matter changes in healthy elderly persons correlate with attention and speed of mental processing. Arch Neurol 50: 818–824. , , , , , .
- 2011. Epigenetic enhancement of BDNF signaling rescues synaptic plasticity in aging. J Neurosci 31: 17800–17810. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Enriched environment increases the total number of CNPase positive cells in the corpus callosum of middle-aged rats. Acta Neurobiol Exp 71: 322–330. , , , , , , , , , .