Regeneration Thematic Paper
Early Regulation of Axolotl Limb Regeneration
Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 295, Issue 10, pages 1566–1574, October 2012
How to Cite
Makanae, A. and Satoh, A. (2012), Early Regulation of Axolotl Limb Regeneration. Anat Rec, 295: 1566–1574. doi: 10.1002/ar.22529
- Issue online: 12 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 DEC 2011
- JST PRESTO; Scientific Research on Innovative Areas; Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas (#23124508)
- 1997. Mutations in human TBX3 alter limb, apocrine and genital development in ulnar-mammary syndrome. Nat Genet 16: 311–315. , , , et al.
- 1994. Expression of Hox A11 in the limb and the regeneration blastema of adult newt. Int J Dev Biol 38: 641–649. , , , .
- 1959. Observations on the mechanism of induction of supernumerary limbs in adult Triturus viridescens. J Exp Zool 140: 79–99. .
- 1988. Blastema cell proliferation in vitro: effects of limb amputation on the mitogenic activity of spinal cord extracts. Biol Cell 62: 183–187. , .
- 1990. In vitro control of blastema cell proliferation by extracts from epidermal cap and mesenchyme of regenerating limbs of axolotls. Roux's Arch Dev Biol 198: 443–447. , .
- 1986. Glial growth factor and nerve-dependent proliferation in the regeneration blastema of Urodele amphibians. Cell 45: 301–306. , .
- 1977. Intercalary and supernumerary regeneration in regenerating the mature limbs of Notophthalmus viridescens. J Exp Zool 202: 1–16. , .
- 2003. Regeneration-specific expression pattern of three posterior Hox genes. Dev Dyn 226: 349–355. , , , .
- 2002. Expression of fibroblast growth factors 4, 8, and 10 in limbs, flanks, and blastemas of Ambystoma. Dev Dyn 223: 193–203. , , .
- 1988. Accessory limb production by nerve-induced cell proliferation. Anat Rec 221: 550–564. .
- 2004. A stepwise model system for limb regeneration. Dev Biol 270: 135–145. , , .
- 2000. Analysis of gene expressions during Xenopus forelimb regeneration. Dev Biol 220: 296–306. , , .
- 2008. The apical ectodermal ridge: morphological aspects and signaling pathways. Int J Dev Biol 52: 857–871. , .
- 2011. Wound healing and blastema formation in regenerating digit tips of adult mice. Dev Biol 350: 301–310. , , , et al.
- 1962. Origin of osteoclasts from mononuclear leucocytes in regenerating newt limbs. Anat Rec 143: 329–337. , .
- 1995. Regulation of HoxA expression in developing and regenerating axolotl limbs. Development 121: 1731–1741. , , , .
- 2002. The molecular basis of amphibian limb regeneration: integrating the old with the new. Semin Cell Dev Biol 13: 345–352. , , .
- 1986. The migration of dermal cells during blastema formation in axolotls. Dev Biol 118: 488–493. , , .
- 2008. Metalloproteinases and their inhibitors: regulators of wound healing. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40: 1334–1347. , .
- 2001. Expression patterns of Fgf-8 during development and limb regeneration of the axolotl. Dev Dyn 220: 40–48. , , .
- 2003. Digit regeneration is regulated by Msx1 and BMP4 in fetal mice. Development 130: 5123–5132. , , , .
- 2008. Development and regeneration of the neonatal digit tip in mice. Dev Biol 315: 125–135. , , , , .
- 2005. Limb regeneration in higher vertebrates: developing a roadmap. Anat Rec B New Anat 287: 14–24. , , , , , .
- 1994. Regeneration of HoxD expression domains during pattern regulation in chick wing buds. Dev Biol 161: 504–512. , , , et al.
- 2010. Dermal fibroblasts contribute to multiple tissues in the accessory limb model. Dev Growth Differ 52: 343–350. , , .
- 2001. Prx1 controls vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and tenascin-C expression and is upregulated with Prx2 in pulmonary vascular disease. Circ Res 89: 31–38. , , , , .
- 1999. Induction of vascular smooth muscle cell tenascin-C gene expression by denatured type I collagen is dependent upon a beta3 integrin-mediated mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway and a 122-base pair promoter element. J Cell Sci 112 ( Part 4): 435–445. , , , .
- 1996. “Regeneration” of wing bud stumps of chick embryos and reactivation of Msx-1 and Shh expression in response to FGF-4 and ridge signals. Mech Dev 55: 119–131. , , , .
- 2009. Cells keep a memory of their tissue origin during axolotl limb regeneration. Nature 460: 60–65. , , , et al.
- 2007. Molecular basis for the nerve dependence of limb regeneration in an adult vertebrate. Science 318: 772–777. , , , , .
- 1977. Importance of limb tissue associations in the development of nerve-induced supernumerary limbs in the newt Pleurodeles waltlii Michah (author's transl). J Embryol Exp Morphol 38: 151–173. .
- 2002. Expression of fibroblast growth factors in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons and regulation after peripheral nerve injury. Neuroreport 13: 1903–1907. , , , et al.
- 1999. Cell migration and chick limb development: chemotactic action of FGF-4 and the AER. Dev Biol 211: 335–347. , .
- 1998. Analysis of the genetic pathway leading to formation of ectopic apical ectodermal ridges in mouse Engrailed-1 mutant limbs. Development 125: 1137–1148. , , , , .
- 1984. Axial characteristics of nerve induced supernumerary limbs in the axolotl. Roux's Arch Dev Biol 193: 394–401. , .
- 1982. Axial organization of the regenerating limb: asymmetrical behavior following skin transplantation. J Embryol Exp Morphol 70: 197–213. , .
- 1995. A role for FGF-8 in the initiation and maintenance of vertebrate limb bud outgrowth. Curr Biol 5: 797–806. , , , et al.
- 2010. The 12th-14th type III repeats of fibronectin function as a highly promiscuous growth factor-binding domain. FASEB J 24: 4711–4721. , .
- 2007. Regeneration potency of mouse limbs. Dev Growth Differ 49: 89–98. , .
- 2001. An epidermal signal regulates Lmx-1 expression and dorsal-ventral pattern during Xenopus limb regeneration. Dev Biol 229: 351–362. , , , , .
- 2003. FAK induces expression of Prx1 to promote tenascin-C-dependent fibroblast migration. J Cell Biol 161: 393–402. , , , et al.
- 2005. Focal adhesion kinase: in command and control of cell motility. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 56–68. , , .
- 1996. Cloning and characterization of cDNAs for matrix metalloproteinases of regenerating newt limbs. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 6819–6824. , , , .
- 2000. Normal limb development in conditional mutants of Fgf4. Development 127: 989–996. , , .
- 1996. Nerve dependency of regeneration: the role of Distal-less and FGF signaling in amphibian limb regeneration. Development 122: 3487–3497. , , , , .
- 2008. Mammalian regeneration and regenerative medicine. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 84: 265–280. , , , , .
- 1982. Evidence that patterning mechanisms in developing and regenerating limbs are the same. Nature 298: 369–371. , .
- 1986. Cellular contribution from dermis and cartilage to the regenerating limb blastema in axolotls. Dev Biol 116: 256–260. , , .
- 1995. Examination of fibronectin distribution and its sources in the regenerating newt limb by immunocytochemistry and in situ hybridization. Dev Dyn 202: 153–164. , .
- 2003. Pattern formation: old models out on a limb. Nat Rev Genet 4: 133–143. .
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and directs outgrowth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75: 579–587. , , , , .
- 2003. Regeneration of the urodele limb: a review. Dev Dyn 226: 280–294. , , , .
- 2010. Analysis of hoxa11 and hoxa13 expression during patternless limb regeneration in Xenopus. Dev Biol 338: 148–157. , , , , , .
- 1990. An extracellular matrix molecule of newt and axolotl regenerating limb blastemas and embryonic limb buds: immunological relationship of MT1 antigen with tenascin. Development 108: 657–668. , , .
- 2008. Matrix metalloproteinases: introduction. Semin Cell Dev Biol 19: 1. .
- 2004. Src family kinases, key regulators of signal transduction. Oncogene 23: 7906–7909. , .
- 1980. Cellular events in denervated limb stumps of Ambystoma larvae during reinnervation and subsequent regeneration. Experientia 36: 601–603. , , .
- 1993. Heterogeneity in the expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors during limb regeneration in newts (Notophthalmus viridescens). Development 119: 353–361. , , , , .
- 1983. The form and structure of supernumerary hindlimbs formed following skin grafting and nerve deviation in the newt Triturus cristatus. J Embryol Exp Morphol 77: 221–241. , , .
- 1982. Pattern regulation between hind- and forelimbs after blastema exchanges and skin grafts in Notophthalmus viridescens. J Exp Zool 223: 51–56. , .
- 2002. Cyclopamine induces digit loss in regenerating axolotl limbs. J Exp Zool 293: 186–190. , .
- 2008a. Regulation of dermal fibroblast dedifferentiation and redifferentiation during wound healing and limb regeneration in the Axolotl. Dev Growth Differ 50: 743–754. , , .
- 2009a. Neurotrophic regulation of fibroblast dedifferentiation during limb skeletal regeneration in the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum). Dev Biol 337: 444–457. , , , .
- 2010a. Regulation of proximal-distal intercalation during limb regeneration in the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum). Dev Growth Differ 52: 785–798. , , , .
- 2007. Nerve-induced ectopic limb blastemas in the Axolotl are equivalent to amputation-induced blastemas. Dev Biol 312: 231–244. , , , .
- 2008b. Neurotrophic regulation of epidermal dedifferentiation during wound healing and limb regeneration in the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum). Dev Biol 319: 321–335. , , , .
- 2009b. The role of nerve signaling in limb genesis and agenesis during axolotl limb regeneration. J Bone Joint Surg Am 91 ( Suppl 4): 90–98. , , .
- 2011. Blastema induction in aneurogenic state and Prrx-1 regulation by MMPs and FGFs in Ambystoma mexicanum limb regeneration. Dev Biol 355: 263–274. , , , .
- 2010b. The apical ectodermal ridge (AER) can be re-induced by wounding, wnt-2b, and fgf-10 in the chicken limb bud. Dev Biol 342: 157–168. , , .
- 2005. Joint development in Xenopus laevis and induction of segmentations in regenerating froglet limb (spike). Dev Dyn 233: 1444–1453. , , , , .
- 2002. Is the progress zone model a victim of progress? Cell 110: 541–543. .
- 1993. Distribution of FGF-2 suggests it has a role in chick limb bud growth. Dev Dyn 198: 159–170. , , , , , .
- 1988 Position dependent expression of a homeobox gene transcript in relation to amphibian limb regeneration. EMBO J 7: 4275–4282. , , .
- 1941. Morphological effects of denervation and amputation of limbs in urodele larvae. J Exp Zool 87: 279–322. , .
- 1999. Required role of focal adhesion kinase (FAK) for integrin-stimulated cell migration. J Cell Sci 112 ( Ptar 16): 2677–2691. , , .
- 1993. Analysis of Hox-4.5 and Hox-3.6 expression during newt limb regeneration: differential regulation of paralogous Hox genes suggest different roles for members of different Hox clusters. Development 117: 1397–1407. , .
- 1949. The invasion of the epidermis of the regenerating forelimb of the urodele, Triturus, by nerve fibers. J Exp Zool 111: 189–209. .
- 2005. Nerve-dependent and -independent events in blastema formation during Xenopus froglet limb regeneration. Dev Biol 286: 361–375. , , , .
- 2000. Conserved and divergent expression of T-box genes Tbx2-Tbx5 in Xenopus. Mech Dev 91: 433–437. , , .
- 1995 Limb development. The budding role of FGF. Curr Biol 5: 594–597. , .
- 1981. The ability of localized implants of whole or minced dermis to disrupt pattern formation in the regenerating forelimb of the axolotl. Am J Anat 162: 315–326. .
- 1994. FGF-2 induces regeneration of the chick limb bud. Dev Biol 163: 282–284. , , , .
- 1954. The relation of epidermal innervation to limb regeneration in Ambystoma larvae. J Exp Zool 127: 577–601. .
- 1960. Influence of an eccentric epidermal cap on limb regeneration in Amblystoma larvae. Dev Biol 2: 551–569. .
- 1996. Limb regeneration. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1997. Expression of integrins during axolotl limb regeneration. Dev Growth Differ 39: 9–14. , , .
- 2005. Normal newt limb regeneration requires matrix metalloproteinase function. Dev Biol 279: 86–98. , , , , .
- 1995. Dorsal cell fate specified by chick Lmx1 during vertebrate limb development. Nature 378: 716–720. , , , .
- 1981. Vertebrate limb regeneration. New York: Wiley. .
- 2000. Cloning and neuronal expression of a type III newt neuregulin and rescue of denervated, nerve-dependent newt limb blastemas by rhGGF2. J Neurobiol 43: 150–158. , , .
- 2009. Effects of activation of hedgehog signaling on patterning, growth, and differentiation in Xenopus froglet limb regeneration. Dev Dyn 238: 1887–1896. , , , , .
- 1994. Developmental regulation of a matrix metalloproteinase during regeneration of axolotl appendages. Dev Biol 166: 696–703. , .
- 1999. Expression of Mmp-9 and related matrix metalloproteinase genes during axolotl limb regeneration. Dev Dyn 216: 2–9. , , , , .
- 2010. BMP signaling induces digit regeneration in neonatal mice. Development 137: 551–559. , , , , , .