Fax: 801 584 2533.
Cortical Bone Response to the Presence of Load-Bearing Percutaneous Osseointegrated Prostheses†
Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 295, Issue 9, pages 1437–1445, September 2012
How to Cite
Jeyapalina, S., Beck, J. P., Bachus, K. N. and Bloebaum, R. D. (2012), Cortical Bone Response to the Presence of Load-Bearing Percutaneous Osseointegrated Prostheses. Anat Rec, 295: 1437–1445. doi: 10.1002/ar.22533
This article is a US government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue online: 16 AUG 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAR 2012
- DOD_PRMRP. Grant Number: PR054520
- Office of Rehabilitation R&D Service, George E. Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT, The Albert and Margaret Hofmann Chair, the Department of Orthopaedics, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- 2010. Transcutaneous, distal femoral, intramedullary attachment for above-the-knee prostheses: an endo-exo device. J Bone Joint Surg Am 92: 180–186. , , , .
- 2010. Time sequence of secondary mineralization and microhardness in cortical and cancellous bone from ewes. Bone 46: 1204–1212. , , , , .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practival and powerful approach to multiple testing. J R Stat Soc Ser B (Methodological) 57: 289–300. , .
- 2007. Relationship between bone ingrowth, mineral apposition rate, and osteoblast activity. J Biomed Mater Res A 81A: 505–514. , , , .
- 1972. The biochemistry and physiology of bone. 2nd ed. New York; London: Academic Press. .
- 2005. Why osseointegration would work and how it did in the first patients treated. Basic facts and philosophical thoughts. In: Brånemark P-I, Chien S, Gröndahl H-G, Robinson K, editors. The Osseointegration Book. From Calvarium to Calcaneus. Berlin, Germany: Quintessenz Verlags-GmbH. p 19–46. , , .
- 1995. Changes in innervation of long bones after insertion of an implant: immunocytochemical study in goats with antibodies to calcitonin gene-related peptide and B-50/GAP-43. J Orthop Res 13: 570–577. , , .
- 2000. Pin track infection and the principles of pin site care. In: De Bastiani G, Apley AG, Goldberg A, editors. Orthofix external fixation in trauma and orthopaedics. Great Britain: Springer-Verlag London Limited. p 97–103. , , .
- 1988. The effect of porosity and mineral content on the Young's modulus of elasticity of compact bone. J Biomech 21: 131–139. .
- 2004. The dependence of transversely isotropic elasticity of human femoral cortical bone on porosity. J Biomech 37: 1281–1287. , .
- 1987. A polymethyl methacrylate method for large specimens of mineralized bone with implants. Stain Technol 62: 401–410. , , .
- 1969. Tetracycline-based histological analysis of bone remodeling. Editorial. Calcif Tissue Res 3: 211–237. .
- 1983. The regional acceleratory phenomenon: a review. Henry Ford Hosp Med J 31: 3–9. .
- 2000. The Utah paradigm of skeletal physiology: an overview of its insights for bone, cartilage and collagenous tissue organs. J Bone Miner Metab 18: 305–316. .
- 2001. From Wolff's law to the Utah paradigm: insights about bone physiology and its clinical applications. Anat Rec 262: 398–419. .
- 1961. Experimental multiband tetracycline measurement of lamellar osteoblastic activity. Henry Ford Hosp Med Bull 9: 312–329. , , , .
- 1987. The nature of the mineral component of bone and the mechanism of calcification. Instr Course Lect 36: 49–69. .
- 1992. The nature of the mineral component of bone and the mechanism of calcification. In: Coe FL, Favus MJ, editors. Disorders of bone and mineral metabolism. New York: Raven Press, Ltd. p 265–286. .
- 2006. Transfemoral amputation, quality of life and prosthetic function. Doctoral dissertation. Dept of Orthopaedics, Institute of Clinical Sciences, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University. 1–81. .
- 2009. One hundred patients treated with osseointegrated transfemoral amputation prostheses—rehabilitation perspective. J Rehabil Res Dev 46: 331–344. , .
- 2008. Osseointegrated trans-femoral amputation prostheses: prospective results of general and condition-specific quality of life in 18 patients at 2-year follow-up. Prosthet Orthot Int 32: 29–41. , , , .
- 2004. Questionnaire for Persons with a Transfemoral Amputation (Q-TFA): initial validity and reliability of a new outcome measure. J Rehabil Res Dev 41: 695–706. , , .
- 1997. Progression of human bone ingrowth into porous-coated implants. Acta Orthop Scand 68: 161–166. , , .
- 2012. Efficacy of a porous structured titanium subdermal barrier for preventing infection in percutaneous osseointegrated prostheses. J Orthop Res 30: 1304–1311. , , , , .
- 2010. Osseocutaneous integration of an intraosseous transcutaneous amputation prosthesis implant used for reconstruction of a transhumeral amputee: case report. J Hand Surg Am 35: 1130–1134. , , , .
- 2004. Biomechanical considerations of animal models used in tissue engineering of bone. Biomaterials 25: 1697–1714. .
- 2007. Effects of a one-month treatment with PTH(1–34) on bone formation on cancellous, endocortical, and periosteal surfaces of the human ilium. J Bone Miner Res 22: 495–502. , , , , , .
- 1993. Aging and strength of bone as a structural material. Calcif Tissue Int 53: S34–S39. .
- 1993. The effects of collagen fiber orientation, porosity, density, and mineralization on bovine cortical bone bending properties. J Biomech 26: 1047–1054. , .
- 2001. Sheep model in orthopedic research: a literature review. Comp Med 51: 292–299. , , , .
- 1977. Histomorphometry of osteoid tissue: the hyperosteoidoses. In: Meunier PJ, editor. Bone histomorphometry. Toulouse: Societe de la Nouvelle Imprimerie Fournie. p 249–262. , , , .
- 1991. A systemic acceleratory phenomenon (SAP) accompanies the regional acceleratory phenomenon (RAP) during healing of a bone defect in the rat. J Bone Miner Res 6: 401–410. , , , .
- 2000a. Properties of growing trabecular ovine bone. Part I: Mechanical and physical properties. J Bone Joint Surg Br 82: 910–920. , , , .
- 2000b. Properties of growing trabecular ovine bone. Part II: architectural and mechanical properties. J Bone Joint Surg Br 82: 921–927. , , , , .
- 1995. The potential of sheep for the study of osteopenia: current status and comparison with other animal models. Bone 16: 277S–284S. , , .
- 2007. Animal models for implant biomaterial research in bone: a review. Eur Cell Mater 13: 1–10. , , , , .
- 1968. The normal microcirculation of diaphyseal cortex and its response to fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am 50: 784–800. .
- 1974. The normal circulation of bone and its response to surgical intervention. J Biomed Mater Res 8: 87–90. .
- 2008. The relationship between femoral periprosthetic cortical bone geometry and porosity after total hip arthroplasty. J Biomed Mater Res A 87: 107–115. , , , , , .
- 2007. The bone mineralization density distribution as a fingerprint of the mineralization process. Bone 40: 1308–1319. , , , , .
- 1994. Parallel experience of two different laboratories with the initiator perkadox 16 for polymerization of methylmethacrylates. J Histotechnol 17: 343–348. , .
- 1988. Stiffness of compact bone: effects of porosity and density. J Biomech 21: 13–16. , .
- 2011. Percutaneous osseointegrated prostheses for amputees: limb compensation in a 12-month ovine model. J Biomech 44: 2601–2606. , , , .
- 2003. Rehabilitation of the trans-femoral amputee with an osseointegrated prosthesis: the United Kingdom experience. Prosthet Orthot Int 27: 114–120. , , , .
- 1993. Static and dynamic histomorphometric data in 9- to 11-year old ewes. In: ACVS. p 413. , .
- 2002. Correlation of bone mineral density with strength and microstructural parameters of cortical bone in vitro. Bone 31: 90–95. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Determining relevance of a weight-bearing ovine model for bone ingrowth assessment. J Biomed Mater Res A 69A: 567–576. , , , , .
- 2001. Ageing human bone: factors affecting its biomechanical properties and the role of collagen. J Biomater Appl 15: 187–229. .