Distribution of Adenylyl Cyclases in the Rat Ovary by Immunofluorescence Microscopy†
Version of Record online: 16 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 295, Issue 10, pages 1717–1726, October 2012
How to Cite
Bagavandoss, P. and Grimshaw, S. (2012), Distribution of Adenylyl Cyclases in the Rat Ovary by Immunofluorescence Microscopy. Anat Rec, 295: 1717–1726. doi: 10.1002/ar.22550
AC = adenylyl cyclase; CL, corpus luteum; cAMP = cyclic adenosine 3′,5′-monophosphate; eCG = equine chorionic gonadotropin; hCG = human chorionic gonadotropin; OSE = ovarian surface epithelium; PKA = protein kinase A.
- Issue online: 12 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUL 2011
- University Research Council of Kent State University
- 1984. Novel morphological approaches for the study of oocyte maturation. Biol Reprod 30: 13–28. .
- 1994. Signal integration in the nervous system: adenylate cyclase as molecular coincidence detectors. Trends Neurosci 17: 37–41. .
- 2001. Characterization of adenylyl cyclases in cultured human granulosa cells. Reproduction 121: 217–228. , , , , , .
- 2010. Temporal and spatial distribution of the cannabinoid receptors (CB1, CB2) and fatty acid amide hydroxylase in the rat ovary. Anat Rec 293: 1425–1432. , .
- 2005. Compartmentalisation of phosphodiesterases and protein kinase A: opposites attract. FEBS Lett 579: 3264–3270. , , .
- 2006. Functional β-adrenergic receptor signalling on nuclear membranes in adult rat and mouse ventricular cardiomyocytes. Cardiovasc Res 71: 69–78. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cytosolic adenylyl cyclase defines a unique signaling molecule in mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 79–84. , , , , .
- 2011. Controls for immunocytochemistry: an update. J Histochem Cytochem 59: 6–12. .
- 2007. PKA, germ cells, and fertility. Physiology 22: 40–46. , .
- 1974. Inhibitory effect of dibutyryl cAMP on mouse oocyte maturation in vitro. J Exp Zool 187: 383–386. , , .
- 2003. Smooth muscle cell contraction and relaxation. Adv Physiol Educ 27: 201–206. .
- 2002a. Role of cyclic nucleotide signaling in oocyte maturation. Mol Cell Endocrinol 187: 153–159. , , , , , , , .
- 2002b. Specificity of the cyclic adenosine 3′,5′-monophosphate signal in granulosa cell function. Biol Reprod 67: 1653–1661. .
- 2000. Tissue specificity and physiological relevance of various isoforms of adenylyl cyclase. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 279: F400–F416. , , .
- 2008. Protein kinase A type I and type II define distinct intracellular signaling compartments. Circ Res 103: 836–844. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Meiotic arrest in human oocytes is maintained by a Gs signaling pathway. Biol Reprod 78: 667–672. , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of meiotic prophase arrest in mouse oocytes by GPR3, a constitutive activator of the Gs G protein. J Cell Biol 171: 255–265. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Cloning and expression of a widely distributed (type IV) adenylyl cyclase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 10178–10182. , .
- 2006. G-protein-coupled receptors signalling at the cell nucleus: an emerging paradigm. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84: 287–297. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Regulation by Ca2+-signaling pathways of adenylyl cyclases. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 3: a004143. , .
- 2005. The G-protein-coupled receptors GPR3 and GPR12 are involved in cAMP signaling and maintenance of meiotic arrest in rodent oocytes. Dev Biol 287: 249–261. , , , , .
- 1971. Interrelationship between estrogen and progesterone secretion and trauma-induced deciduomata. On causes of uterine refractoriness in the “Parlow Rat”. Endocrinology 89: 807–817. , .
- 2003. Rodent oocytes express an active adenylyl cyclase required for meiotic arrest. Dev Biol 258: 385–396. , , , , , .
- 2004. Resolution of cAMP signals in three-dimensional microdomains using novel, real-time sensors. Proc West Pharmacol Soc 47: 1–5. , .
- 2002. Regulatory properties of adenylyl cyclase isoforms. J Evol Biochem Phys 38: 371–391. .
- 2010. Analysis of transcript and protein overlap in a human osteosarcoma cell line. BMC Genomics 11: 684. , , , , , .
- 2006. Adenylyl cyclases in oocyte maturation: a characterization of AC isoforms in bovine cumulus cells. Mol Reprod Dev 73: 1202–1210. , , .
- 2005. Premature ovarian aging in mice deficient for Gpr3. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 8922–8926. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanism of Ca2+-dependent nuclear accumulation of calmodulin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 6217–6222. , , .
- 1991. Towards an understanding of the mechanism of action of cyclic AMP and cyclic GMP in smooth muscle relaxation. Blood Vessels 28: 129–137. , .
- 1999. Molecular identification of adenylyl cyclase 3 in bovine corpus luteum and its regulation by prostaglandin F2 alpha-induced signaling pathways. Endocrinology 140: 4601–4608. , , , .
- 2005. Stops and starts in mammalian oocytes: recent advances in understanding the regulation of meiotic arrest and oocyte maturation. Reproduction 130: 791–799. .
- 2002. Meiotic arrest in the mouse follicle maintained by a Gs protein in the oocyte. Science 297: 1343–1345. , , .
- 2004. The Gs-linked receptor GPR3 maintains meiotic arrest in mammalian oocytes. Science 306: 1947–1950. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Constitutively active GPR6 is located in the intracellular compartments. FEBS Lett 583: 107–112. , , .
- 2000. Cyclic nucleotide-gated channels colocalize with adenylyl cyclase in regions of restricted cAMP diffusion. J Gen Physiol 116: 147–161. , , , , , .
- 2001. A uniform extracellular stimulus triggers distinct cAMP signals in different compartments of a simple cell. Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 13049–13054. , , , , , .
- 2001. New signaling pathways for hormones and cyclic adenosine 3′,5′-monophosphate action in endocrine cells. Mol Endocrinol 15: 209–218. .
- 1998. Hormone-induced proliferation and differentiation of granulosa cells: a coordinated balance of the cell cycle regulators cyclin D2 and p27Kip1. Mol Endocrinol 12: 924–940. , .
- 1996. Spatiotemporal analysis of calcium dynamics in the nucleus of hamster oocytes. J Physiol 494 ( Pt 1): 29–40. , .
- 2002. Isoforms of mammalian adenylyl cyclase: multiplicities of signaling. Mol Interv 2: 168–184. , .
- 2007. Neural expression of G protein-coupled receptors GPR3, GPR6, and GPR12 up-regulates cyclic AMP levels and promotes neurite outgrowth. J Biol Chem 282: 10506–10515. , , , , .
- 1991. Expression and characterization of calmodulin-activated (type I) adenylyl cyclase. J Biol Chem 266: 8595–8603. , , .
- 1984. Regulation of the development of meiotic competence and of the resumption of oocyte maturation in the rat. Symp Soc Exp Biol 38: 25–43. , .
- 2002. Sphingosine 1-phosphate is a ligand of the human gpr3, gpr6 and gpr12 family of constitutively active G protein-coupled receptors. Cell Signal 14: 941–953. , , .
- 2008. Generation of mouse oocytes defective in cAMP synthesis and degradation: endogenous cyclic AMP is essential for meiotic arrest. Dev Biol 124–134. , , , .
- 1994. Synergistic activation of the type 1 adenylyl cyclase by Ca2+ and Gs-coupled receptors in vivo. J Biol Chem 269: 25400–25405. , , , , , .
- 2007. Organization and Ca2+ regulation of adenylyl cyclases in cAMP microdomains. Physiol Rev 87: 965–1010. , .
- 2002. Discrete microdomains with high concentration of cAMP in stimulated rat neonatal cardiac myocytes. Science 295: 1711–1715. , .
- 2006. Intracrine signaling through lipid mediators and their cognate nuclear G-protein-coupled receptors: a paradigm based on PGE2, PAF, and LPA1 receptors. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84: 377–391. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Bicarbonate-responsive “soluble” adenylyl cyclase defines a nuclear cAMP microdomain. J Cell Biol 164: 527–534. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Confocal laser scanning microscopy of rat follicular development. J Histochem Cytochem 48: 781–791. , , , .