A Novel Organ of Corti Explant Model for the Study of Cochlear Implantation Trauma
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Special Issue: The Anatomy and Biology of Hearing and Balance: Cochlear and Vestibular Implants
Volume 295, Issue 11, pages 1944–1956, November 2012
How to Cite
Bas, E., Gupta, C. and Van De Water, T. R. (2012), A Novel Organ of Corti Explant Model for the Study of Cochlear Implantation Trauma. Anat Rec, 295: 1944–1956. doi: 10.1002/ar.22585
- Issue published online: 22 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUL 2012
- MED-EL Hearing Implants, GmbH, Innsbruck, Austria
- 2000. Tumor necrosis factor alpha suppresses the induction of connective tissue growth factor by transforming growth factor-beta in normal and scleroderma fibroblasts. J Biol Chem 275: 15220–15225. , , , , , .
- 2012. Conservation of hearing and protection of hair cells in cochlear implant patients' with residual hearing. Anat Rec 00: 000–000. , , , , .
- 1991. Regulation of transforming growth factor-beta 1 gene expression by glucocorticoids in normal human T lymphocytes. J Clin Invest 88: 1574–1580. , , , .
- 1997. TGF-beta1 inhibits the release of histamine and tumor necrosis factor-alpha from mast cells through an autocrine pathway. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 16: 275–282. , , .
- 2001. In vitro evidence for differential involvement of CTGF, TGFb, and PDGF-BB in mesangial response to injury. Nephrol Dial Transplant 16: 1139–1148. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Cell death in the inner ear. In: Reed JC, Green DR, editors. Apoptosis: physiology and pathology. Cambridge. p 182–193. , .
- 2008. Dexamethasone protects organ of corti explants against tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced loss of auditory hair cells and alters the expression levels of apoptosis-related genes. Neuroscience 157: 405–413. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Dexamethasone treatment of tumor necrosis factor-alpha challenged organ of Corti explants activates nuclear factor kappa B signaling that induces changes in gene expression that favor hair cell survival. Neuroscience 188: 157–167. , , , , , .
- 2008. Molecular mechanisms of anti-inflammatory activity mediated by flavonoids. Curr Med Chem 15: 1586–1605. , , , , ,
- 1989. Glucocorticoids inhibit prostaglandin synthesis not only at the level of phospholipase A2 but also at the level of cyclo-oxygenase/PGE isomerase. Br J Pharmacol 98: 1287–1295. , , .
- 2011. Intratympanic dexamethasone/hyaluronic acid mix as an adjunct to intravenous steroid and vasoactive treatment in patients with severe idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Otol Neurotol 32: 756–760. , , , .
- 2009. Dexamethasone protects auditory hair cells against TNFalpha-initiated apoptosis via activation of PI3K/Akt and NFkappaB signaling. Hear Res 255: 22–32. , , , , .
- 2005. Induction of CTGF by TGF-beta1 in normal and radiation enteritis human smooth muscle cells: Smad/Rho balance and therapeutic perspectives. Radiother Oncol 76: 219–225. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Dexamethasone treatment of naïve organ of Corti explants alters the expression pattern of apoptosis-related genes. Brain Res 1301: 1–8. , , , , , .
- 2007. Pathophysiology of acute wound healing. Clin Dermatol 25: 9–18. , , .
- 2006. Transforming growth factor-β regulation of immune responses. Annu Rev Immunol 24: 99–146. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real time quantitative PCR and the 2(−ΔΔCT) method. Methods 25: 402–408. and .
- 2011. Dose-dependent protection on cisplatin-induced ototoxicity—an electrophysiological study on the effect of three antioxidants in the Sprague-Dawley rat animal model. Med Sci Monit 17: 179–186. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Inner ear dysfunction in caspase-3 deficient mice. BMC Neurosci 12: 102. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Strategies for prevention of scars: what can we learn from fetal skin? Int J Dermatol 50: 85–93. , , .
- 2011. Characterization of the perceived sound of trauma-induced tinnitus in gerbils. J Acoust Soc Am 130: 2827. , , , .
- 2000. TGF-beta 1 down-regulates inflammatory cytokine-induced VCAM-1 expression in cultured human glomerular endothelial cells. Nephrol Dial Transplant 15: 596–604. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates auditory function in the hearing cochlea. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1: 1–16. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of reactive-oxygen-species generation in fibroblasts by Rac1. Biochem J 318: 379–382. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Role of transforming growth factor beta in corneal function, biology and pathology. Curr Mol Med 10: 565–578. , , , , .
- 2006. Wound healing: immunological aspects. Injury Int J Care Injured 37: S5–S12. , , .
- 1996. Control of nitric oxide production by endogenous TGF-β1 and systemic nitric oxide inretinal pigment epithelial cells and peritoneal macrophages. J Leukoc Biol 60: 261–270. , , , , , .