Comparing the Distribution of Strains with the Distribution of Bone Tissue in a Human Mandible: A Finite Element Study
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 296, Issue 1, pages 9–18, January 2013
How to Cite
Gröning, F., Fagan, M. and O'higgins, P. (2013), Comparing the Distribution of Strains with the Distribution of Bone Tissue in a Human Mandible: A Finite Element Study. Anat Rec, 296: 9–18. doi: 10.1002/ar.22597
- Issue published online: 15 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 APR 2012
- Marie Curie Actions. Grant Number: MEST-CT-2005-020601 (PALAEO)
- 1993. Skeletal strain patterns in relation to exercise training during growth. J Exp Biol 185: 51–69. , .
- 1984. What should bones be designed to do? Calcif Tissue Int 36( Suppl 1): S7–S10. .
- 2002. Bones: structure and mechanics. Princeton: Princeton University Press. .
- 2011. Functional relationship between skull form and feeding mechanics in Sphenodon, and implications for diapsid skull development. PLoS ONE 6: e29804. , , , , , .
- 1989. Biomechanics of cross-sectional size and shape in the hominoid mandibular corpus. Am J Phys Anthropol 80: 91–106. .
- 2002. Bone geometry in cercopithecoid mandibles. Arch Oral Biol 47: 315–325. .
- 1991. Compact bone distribution and biomechanics of early hominid mandibles. Am J Phys Anthropol 86: 321–339. , .
- 2003. Functional significance of cortical bone distribution in anthropoid mandibles: an in vitro assessment of bone strain under combined loads. Am J Phys Anthropol 122: 38–50. , .
- 1984. Stress-strength relationships in the mandibles of hominoids. In: Chivers DJ, Wood BA, Bilsborough A, editors. Food acquisition and processing in primates. New York: Plenum. p 369–390. , , .
- 2007. Voxel-based finite element analysis: working directly with microCT scan data. J Morphol 268: 1071. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Quantifying the strain history of bone: spatial uniformity and self-similarity of low-magnitude strains. J Biomech 33: 317–325. , , .
- 1987. Bone “mass” and the “mechanostat”: a proposal. Anatomical Record 219: 1–9. .
- 2003. Bone's mechanostat: a 2003 update. Anatomical Record 275A: 1081–1101. .
- 2007. Functional significance of bone distribution in the human mandibular symphysis. Anthropological Sci 115: 55–62. .
- 2008. Growth-related changes in prehistoric Jomon and modern Japanese mandibles with emphasis on cortical bone distribution. Am J Phys Anthropol 136: 441–454. , .
- 1979. Functional adaptation of bone to increased stress. An experimental study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 61: 539–546. , , .
- 2012a. Improving the validation of finite element models with quantitative full-field strain comparisons. J Biomech 45: 1498–1506. , , , .
- 2012b. Modeling the human mandible under masticatory loads: which input variables are important? Anatomical Record 295: 853–863. , , .
- 2011a. The effects of the periodontal ligament on mandibular stiffness: a study combining finite element analysis and geometric morphometrics. J Biomech 44: 1304–1312. , , .
- 2011b. Why do humans have chins? Testing the mechanical significance of modern human symphyseal morphology with finite element analysis. Am J Phys Anthropol 144: 593–606. , , , .
- 2000. If bone is the answer, then what is the question? J Anat 197: 145–156. .
- 1984. Stress and strain in the mandibular symphysis of primates: a test of competing hypotheses. Am J Phys Anthropol 64: 1–46. .
- 2007. Functional significance of strain distribution in the human mandible under masticatory load: numerical predictions. Arch Oral Biol 52: 465–473. , , .
- 1980. Effect of long-term immobilisation on the pattern of bone loss in older dogs. J Bone Joint Surg B 62: 104–110. , , .
- 1977. Humeral hypertrophy in response to exercise. J Bone Joint Surg 59: 204–208. , , , , .
- 1994. Deformation of the human mandible during simulated tooth clenching. J Dental Res 73: 56–66. , .
- 2009. Masticatory loading and bone adaptation in the supraorbital torus of developing macaques. Am J Phys Anthropol 139: 193–203. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Functional strain as a determinant for bone remodeling. Calcified Tissue Int 36: S56–S61. .
- 1987. Functional strain in bone tissue as an objective, and controlling stimulus for adaptive bone remodelling. J Biomech 20: 1083–1093. .
- 1982. Mechanically adaptive bone remodelling. J Biomech 15: 141–154. , , , .
- 2004. Predicting long bone loading from cross-sectional geometry. Am J Phys Anthropol 123: 156–171. , , .
- 2011. Exploring femoral diaphyseal shape variation in wild and captive chimpanzees by means of morphometric mapping: a test of Wolff's law. Anatomical Record 294: 589–609. , , .
- 2010. Mechanical signals as anabolic agents in bone. Nat Rev Rheumatol 6: 50–59. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Generalized n-dimensional biomechanical field analysis using statistical parametric mapping. J Biomech 43: 1976–1982. .
- 2007. Numerical estimation of bone density and elastic constants distribution in a human mandible. J Biomech 40: 828–836. , , , .
- 1985. Regulation of bone mass by mechanical strain magnitude. Calcified Tissue Int 37: 411–417. , .
- 2002. Mechanical strain, induced noninvasively in the high-frequency domain, is anabolic to cancellous bone, but not cortical bone. Bone 30: 445–452. , , , , , .
- 2001. Anabolism. Low mechanical signals strengthen long bones. Nature 412: 603–604. , , , , .
- 2006. Who's afraid of the big bad Wolff?: “Wolff's law” and bone functional adaptation. Am J Phys Anthropol 129: 484–498. , , .
- 1995. Interruption of disuse by short duration walking exercise does not prevent bone loss in the sheep calcaneus. Bone 16: 269–274. , .
- 2010. Principles of determination and verification of muscle forces in the human musculoskeletal system: Muscle forces to minimise bending stress. J Biomech 43: 387–396. , .
- 1978. Bone loss in response to long-term immobilisation. J Bone Joint Surg B 60: 420–429. , .
- 1997. Architecture of the human jaw-closing and jaw-opening muscles. Anatomical Record 248: 464–474. , , .
- 2003. Trabecular bone tissue strains in the healthy and osteoporotic human femur. J Bone Mineral Res 18: 1781–1788. , , , .
- 2005. Finite-element model construction for the virtual synthesis of the skulls in vertebrates: case study of Diplodocus. Anatomical Record A 283: 391–401. , .