Fax: 49 (341) 3550-399
Sex-Related Shape Dimorphism in the Human Radiocarpal and Midcarpal Joints
Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 296, Issue 1, pages 19–30, January 2013
How to Cite
Kivell, T. L., Guimont, I. and Wall, C. E. (2013), Sex-Related Shape Dimorphism in the Human Radiocarpal and Midcarpal Joints. Anat Rec, 296: 19–30. doi: 10.1002/ar.22609
- Issue online: 15 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUL 2011
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, General Motors Women and Science and Mathematics and University of Toronto Foundation Graduate Award
- Le Fonds Québécois pour la Recherche sur la Nature et les Technologies (FQRNT)
- 1992. Curvature characteristics and congruence of the thumb carpometacarpal joint: differences between female and male joints. J. Biomech 25: 591–607. , , .
- 1991. Osteoarthritis in the elderly: clinical and radiological findings in 79 and 85 year olds. Ann Rheum Dis 50: 535–539. , , , .
- 2006. Metacarpal sexual determination in a Spanish population. J Forensic Sci 51: 990–995. , , .
- 2002. Masculinized finger length patterns in human males and females with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Horm Behav 42: 380–386. , , , .
- 1966. Joint motion in wrist flexion and extension. South Med J 59: 909. , , .
- 2003. In-utero androgen exposure and 2nd to 4th digit length ratio-comparisons between healthy controls and females with classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Hum Reprod 18: 976–979. , , , .
- 1988. Prevalence of radiologically defined osteoarthritis in the finger and wrist joints of adult residents of Tecumseh, Michigan, 1962-65. J Clin Epidemiol 41: 467–473. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Biomechanics of the hand: a basic research study. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co. , , , .
- 1972. Ontogenesis of the skeleton and intrinsic muscles of the human hand and foot. Ergeb Anat Entwicklungsgesch 46: 1–194. .
- 1995. Wrist kinematics. Row, column or both? J Hand Surg 20B: 165–170. , .
- 2005. In vivo radiocarpal kinematics and the dart thrower's motion. J Bone Joint Surg 87a: 2729–2740. , , , , , .
- 1985. Canonical and principal components of shape. Biometrika 72: 241–252. , .
- 1995. Sex assessment from metacarpals of the human hand. J Forensic Sci 40: 774–776. .
- 1993. Morphometrics of the callitrichid forelimb: a case study in size and shape. Int J Primatol 13: 551–572. , , .
- 2006. SMATR: standardised major axis tests and routines, ver 2.0. http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/SMATR/. Accessed on March 2012. , , .
- 1994. Functional anatomy of the carps in flexion and extension and in radial and ulnar deviations: an in vivo two- and three-dimensional CT study. In: Schuind F, An KN, Cooney WP, III, Garcia-Elias M, editors. Advances in the biomechanics of the hand and wrist. New York: Plenum Press. p. 255–270. , , , .
- 2009. In-vivo three-dimensional carpal bone kinematics during flexion-extension and radio-ulnar deviation of the wrist: dynamic motion versus step-wise static wrist positions. J Biomech 42: 2664–2671. , , , , , , .
- 1988. An in vitro analysis of wrist motion: the effect of limited intercarpal anthrodesis and the contributions of the radiocarpal and midcarpal joints. J Hand Surg 13A: 390–395. , , , , .
- 2004. Osteoarthritis in the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb. Prevalence and associations with disability and mortality. J Bone Joint Surg Am 86: 1452–1457. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Flexion and extension forces generated by wrist-dedicated muscles over the range of motion. Appl Ergon 25: 376–385. .
- 1995. Shape, relative size and size-adjustments in morphometrics. Yrbk Phys Anthropol 38: 137–161. , , .
- 2007. Ontogeny of the hominoid midcarpal joint and implications for the origin of hominin bipedalism. PhD dissertation, University of Toronto. .
- 1994. Identification of sex from metacarpals: effect of side asymmetry. J Forensic Sci 39: 1188–1194. .
- 2002. Population variation in second metacarpal sexual size dimorphism. Am J Phys Anthropol 118: 378–384. .
- 2003. Developmental biology and human evolution. Ann Rev Anthropol 32: 85–109. , , , .
- 1998. The ratio of 2nd to 4th digit length: a predictor of sperm numbers and concentrations of testosterone, luteinizing hormone and oestrogen. Hum Reprod 13: 3000–3004. , , , .
- 2009. Sex determination using metacarpal biometric data from the Athens Collection. Forensic Sci Int 193: 130.e1–130.e6. , , , .
- 1999. The effects of complex wrist and forearm posture on wrist range of motion. Human Factors 41: 205–213. , , .
- 1999. Chimpanzee thumb muscle cross sections, moment arms and potential torgues, and comparisons with humans. Am J Phys Anthropol 110: 163–178. , , , , , , .
- 1998. EMG study of hand muscle recruitment during hard hammer percussion manufacture of Oldowan tools. Am J Phys Anthropol 105: 315–332. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Three-dimensional quantitative comparative analysis of trapezial-metacarpal joint surface curvatures in human populations. J Hand Surg 37: 72–76. , , , .
- 1994. Variability at the carpometacarpal and midcarpal joints involving the fourth metacarpal, hamate and lunate in Catarrhini. Am J Phys Anthropol 93: 229–240. , , .
- 2011. Sex assessment from the carpal bones: discriminant function analysis in a 20th century Spanish simple. Forensic Sci Int 206: 216.e1–e10. , , , .
- 1995. Allometric secular changes in the long bones from the 1800s to the present. J Forensic Sci 40: 726–767. , .
- 2002. Three-dimensional carpal kinematics in vivo. Clin Biomech 17: 506–514. , , , , , .
- 2006. In vivo three-dimensional kinematics of the midcarpal joint of the wrist. J Bone Joint Surg 88a: 611–621. , , , , , .
- 2006. Maximal dynamic grip force and wrist torque: the effects of gender, exertion direction, angular velocity and wrist angle. Appl Ergon 37: 737–742. , , , .
- 1970. Size allometry: size and shape variables with characterizations of the lognormal and generalized gamma distributions. J Am Stat Assoc 56: 930–945. .
- 2001. Type I versus Type II lunates: ligament anatomy and presence of arthrosis. J Hand Surg 26a: 428–436. , , , .
- 2001. In vivo kinematic behavior of the radio-capitate joint during wrist flexion-extension and radio-ulnar deviation. J Biomech 34: 1429–1438. , , .
- 1953. A survey of carpal and tarsal anomalies. J Bone Joint Surg 35a: 626–642. .
- 2010. Age-related and sex-related differences in hand and pinch grip strength in adults. Int J Rehabil Res 33: 4–11. .
- 1971. The carpus in congenital malformation syndromes. Am J Roentgenol 112: 443–459. , .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2008. Gender differences in capitate kinematics are eliminated after accounting for variation in carpal size. J Biomech Eng 130: 041003-1–5. , , , .
- 2011. Hand biomechanics during simulated stone tool use. J Hum Evol 61: 26–41. , , .
- 1988. Relative motion of selected carpal bones: a kinematic analysis of the normal wrist. J Hand Surg 13A: 1–10. , , , , .
- 1991. Wrist joint motion. In: An K-N, Berger RA, Cooney WP III, editors. Biomechanics of the wrist joint. New York: Springer-Verlag. p. 37–60. , , .
- 2000. Developmental juvenile osteology. San Diego: Academic Press. , .
- 1993. Sex determination from metacarpals and the first proximal phalanx. J Forensic Sci 38: 769–778. , .
- 2009. Use and misuse of the reduced major-axis for line-fitting. Am J Phys Anthropol 140: 476–486. .
- 2008. The utility of carpals for sex assessment: a preliminary study. Am J Phys Anthropol 135: 252–262. , , .
- 1991. The fourth metacarpal joint. J Hand Surg 16: 525–533. , , , .
- 1993. Load mechanics of the midcarpal joint. J Hand Surg 18a: 14–18. , , , .
- 1990. Medial (hamate) facet on the lunate. J Hand Surg 15a: 564–571. , , , .
- 2010. Gender differences in carpal height ratio in a Taiwanese population. J Hand Surg 35a: 252–255. , , , , , .
- 2006. Bivariate line-fitting methods for allometry. Biol Rev 81: 259–291. , , , .
- 2005. Intraobserver error associated with measurements of the hand. Am J Hum Biol 17: 368–371. , , , .
- 1997. The relative contribution of selected carpal bones to global wrist motion during simulated planar and out-of-plane wrist motion. J Hand Surg 22A: 708–713. , , , .
- 2000. Human osteology. San Diego: Academic Press. .
- 2006. Joint-specific prevalence of osteoarthritis of the hand. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 14: 953–957. , , .
- 1941. Epiphyseal dysgenesis associated with hypothyroidism. Am J Dis Child 61: 13–34. .
- 2010. Upper limb kinematics and the role of the wrist during stone tool production. Am J Phys Anthropol 143: 134–145. , , .
- 2000. In vivo scaphoid, lunate and capitate kinematics in wrist flexion and extension. J Hand Surg 25A: 860–869. , , .
- 2008. Variations in capitate morphology in the wrist. J Hand Surg 33a: 660–666. , , , , , .