Fax: +31 43 388 1725
Steep Increase in Myonuclear Domain Size During Infancy†
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 296, Issue 2, pages 192–197, February 2013
How to Cite
Delhaas, T., Van der Meer, S. F.T., Schaart, G., Degens, H. and Drost, M. R. (2013), Steep Increase in Myonuclear Domain Size During Infancy. Anat Rec, 296: 192–197. doi: 10.1002/ar.22631
Abbreviations used: DAPI = 4′,6-Diamidino-2-phenylindole; FCSA = fiber cross-sectional area; RT = room temperature; SEM = standard error of the mean.
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 JAN 2012
- 1999. Myonuclear domains in muscle adaptation and disease. Muscle Nerve 22: 1350–1360. , , .
- 1993. Skeletal muscle fiber hyperplasia. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25: 1333–1345. , .
- 2011. Effects of growth on geometry of gastrocnemius muscle in children: a three-dimensional ultrasound analysis. J Anat 219: 388–402. , , , , .
- 1969. The histographic analysis of human muscle biopsies with regard to fiber types. Part 4: Children's biopsies. Neurology 19: 591–605. , .
- 2011. Investigation on tumor hypoxia in resectable primary prostate cancer as demonstrated by 18F-FAZA PET/CT utilizing multimodality fusion techniques. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 38: 1816–1823. , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Muscular enlargement and number of fibers in skeletal muscles of rats. J Appl Physiol 50: 936–943. , , , .
- 1989. Nuclear domains in muscle cells. Cell 59: 771–772. , .
- 2001. Myogenic satellite cells: physiology to molecular biology. J Appl Physiol 91: 534–551. , .
- 2006. Differential effects of muscle fibre length and insulin on muscle-specific mRNA content in isolated mature muscle fibres during long-term culture. Cell Tissue Res 326: 795–808. , , , , .
- 2004. Satellite cells and myonuclei in young and elderly women and men. Muscle Nerve 29: 120–127. , , , .
- 2008. Essential role of satellite cells in the growth of rat soleus muscle fibers. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295: C458–C467. , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Satellite cells and myo fiber growth in the rat soleus and extensor digitorum longus muscles. Dev Biol 65: 1–10. .
- 1978. Growth of muscle tissue and muscle mass. In: Falkner F, Tanner JM, editor. Human growth, Volume 2: Postnatal growth. London: Ballière Tindall. p 273–294. .
- 1970. Nature of dividing nuclei in skeletal muscle of growing rats. J Cell Biol 44: 459–462. , .
- 1988. Morphometric analysis of normal skeletal muscles in infancy, childhood and adolescence. An autopsy study. J Neurol Sci 88: 303–313. .
- 2006. Efficacy of myonuclear addition may explain differential myofiber growth among resistance-trained young and older men and women. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291: E937–946. , , , , .
- 1977. The number of nuclei in adult rat muscles with special reference to satellite cells. Anat Rec 189: 169–175. , .
- 1991. Evidence of fibre hyperplasia in human skeletal muscles from healthy young men? A left-right comparison of the fibre number in whole anterior tibialis muscles. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 62: 301–304. , , , .
- 1997. Morphological and biochemical evidence of muscle hyperplasia following weight-lifting exercise in rats. Am J Physiol 273: C246–256. , , , , , .
- 1995. Absolute and relative growth of rat skeletal muscle. Physiol Behav 57: 913–919. , .
- 2011a. Is the myonuclear domain size fixed? J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 11: 286–297. , , .
- 2011b. The time course of myonuclear accretion during hypertrophy in young adult and older rat plantaris muscle. Ann Anat 193: 56–63. , , , .
- 1977. Karyometric changes in human muscle with age. Eur Neurol 16: 31–34. , , .
- 2007. Satellite cell content is specifically reduced in type II skeletal muscle fibers in the elderly. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292: E151–157. , , , , , .
- 1988. A quantitative study of myonuclear and satellite cell nuclear size in Duchenne's muscular dystrophy, polymyositis and normal human skeletal muscle. Anat Rec 222: 6–11. , .
- 2010. Dynamics of muscle fibre growth during postnatal mouse development. BMC Dev Biol 10: 21. , , , .