Xiao-Yu Wang and Yan Li contributed equally to this work.
Stem Cell Biology
Retention of Stem Cell Plasticity in Avian Primitive Streak Cells and the Effects of Local Microenvironment
Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 296, Issue 3, pages 533–543, March 2013
How to Cite
Wang, X.-Y., Li, Y., Ma, Z.-L., Wang, L.-J., Chuai, M., Münsterberg, A., Geng, J.-G. and Yang, X. (2013), Retention of Stem Cell Plasticity in Avian Primitive Streak Cells and the Effects of Local Microenvironment. Anat Rec, 296: 533–543. doi: 10.1002/ar.22640
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 24 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAR 2012
- NSFC. Grant Numbers: 30971493, 31071054
- “973 Project”. Grant Number: 2010CB529702
- Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities. Grant Number: 21610601
- 1982. Immunochemical analysis of myosin heavy chain during avian myogenesis in vivo and in vitro. J Cell Biol 95:763–770. , , .
- 1994. Induction of a second neural axis by the mouse node. Development 120:613–620. .
- 2001. Improved method for chick whole-embryo culture using a filter paper carrier. Dev Dyn 220:284–289. , , , .
- 2007. Specification of germ layer identity in the chick gastrula. BMC Dev Biol 7:91–106. , , , .
- 2008. The mechanisms underlying primitive streak formation in the chick embryo. Curr Top Dev Biol 81:135–156. , .
- 2006. Cell movement during chick primitive streak formation. Dev Biol 296:137–149. , , , , , .
- 2005. Analysis of tissue flow patterns during primitive streak formation in the chick embryo. Dev Biol 284:37–47. , , , , .
- 2009. The enigmatic primitive streak: prevailing notions and challenges concerning the body axis of mammals. Bioessays 31:892–902. .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88:44–92. , .
- 1995. Expression of a Delta homologue in prospective neurons in the chick. Nature 375:787–790. , , , , , .
- 2003. Patterning of the avian intermediate mesoderm by lateral plate and axial tissues. Dev Biol 253:109–124. , .
- 2006. Fate and plasticity of the endoderm in the early chick embryo. Dev Biol 289:283–295. , , , .
- 1999. The orderly allocation of mesodermal cells to the extraembryonic structures and the anteroposterior axis during gastrulation of the mouse embryo. Development 126:4691–4701. , , , , , .
- 1998. Continuing organizer function during chick tail development. Development 125:1791–1801. , , .
- 2004. Expression of VE-cadherin in zebrafish embryos: a new tool to evaluate vascular development. Dev Dyn 231:204–213. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Epiblast and primitive-streak origins of the endoderm in the gastrulating chick embryo. Development 130:3491–3501. , .
- 2009. Movement and commitment of primitive streak precardiac cells during cardiogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 53:1445–1455. , , , .
- 2004. Induction and patterning of the primitive streak, an organizing center of gastrulation in the amniote. Dev Dyn 229:422–432. , , , , .
- 2000. Mediolateral somitic origin of ribs and dermis determined by quail-chick chimeras. Development 127:4611–4617. , , , .
- 1995. Vasculogenesis. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 11:73–91. , .
- 1972. Endoderm movements in the chick embryo between the early short streak and head process stages. J Exp Zool 180:95–103. .
- 1991. Fate mapping and cell lineage analysis of Hensen's node in the chick embryo. Development 112:615–626. , .
- 2006. Atrial and ventricular myosin heavy-chain expression in the developing chicken heart: strengths and limitations of non-radioactive in situ hybridization. J Histochem Cytochem 54:649–664. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mouse gastrulation: the formation of a mammalian body plan. Mech Dev 68:3–25. , .
- 2008. PDGF signalling controls the migration of mesoderm cells during chick gastrulation by regulating N-cadherin expression. Development 135:3521–3530. , , .
- 2002. Cell movement patterns during gastrulation in the chick are controlled by positive and negative chemotaxis mediated by FGF4 and FGF8. Dev Cell 3:425–437. , , , .
- 2001. Generation of the germ layers along the animal-vegetal axis in Xenopus laevis. Int J Dev Biol 45:229–235. , .
- 2008. Wnt3a-mediated chemorepulsion controls movement patterns of cardiac progenitors and requires RhoA function. Development 135:1029–1037. , , , , .
- 2008. The ECM moves during primitive streak formation—computation of ECM versus cellular motion. PLoS Biol 6:2163–2171. , , .