Airway Morphology From High Resolution Computed Tomography in Healthy Subjects and Patients With Moderate Persistent Asthma
Article first published online: 8 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 296, Issue 6, pages 852–866, June 2013
How to Cite
Montesantos, S., Katz, I., Fleming, J., Majoral, C., Pichelin, M., Dubau, C., Piednoir, B., Conway, J., Texereau, J. and Caillibotte, G. (2013), Airway Morphology From High Resolution Computed Tomography in Healthy Subjects and Patients With Moderate Persistent Asthma. Anat Rec, 296: 852–866. doi: 10.1002/ar.22695
- Issue published online: 17 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 8 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 DEC 2012
- 2011. Remodeling in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 128:451–462. , , .
- 2008. Airway remodeling measured by multidetector CT is increased in severe asthma and correlates with pathology. Chest 134:1183–1191. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Numerical study of high-frequency oscillatory air flow and convective mixing in a CT-based human airway model. Ann Biomed Eng 38:3550–3571. , , , , .
- 2012. Controlled, parametric, individualized, 2-D and 3-D imaging measurements of aerosol deposition in the respiratory tract of healthy human subjects for model validation. J Aerosol Sci 52:1–17. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. New and current clinical imaging techniques to study chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:588–597. , , , , , .
- 2011. Convective flow dominates aerosol delivery to the lung segments. J Appl Physiol 111:48–54. , , .
- 2005. Computed tomographic imaging of the airways: relationship to structure and function. Eur Respir J 26:140–152. , , , .
- 1999. Computed tomography-based tracheobronchial image reconstruction allows selection of the individually appropriate double-lumen tube size. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 13:532–537. , , , , .
- 2011. The use of combined single photon emission computed tomography and X-ray computed tomography to assess the fate of inhaled aerosol. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 24:49–60. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Description of pulmonary deposition of radiolabeled aerosol by airway generation using a conceptual three dimensional model of lung morphology. J Aerosol Med 8:341–356. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Numerical investigation of the three-dimensional flow in a human lung model. J Biomech 41:2446–2457. , .
- 2008. Computational model of airflow in upper 17 generations of human respiratory tract. J Biomech 41:2047–2054. , , , , .
- 2001. Congenital bronchial abnormalities revisited. Radiographics 21:105–119. , , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of airway wall thickness and air trapping by HRCT in asymptomatic asthma. Eur Respir J 22:965–971. , , , .
- 2006. Airflow limitation and airway dimensions in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:1309–1315. , , , , , , , , .
- 1967. Angles of branching and diameters of branches in the human bronchial tree. Bull Math Biophys 29:245–259. , .
- 1971. Models of the human bronchial tree. J Appl Physiol 31:207–217. , , , , .
- 2010. Correlation between airflow limitation and airway dimensions assessed by multidetector CT in asthma. Respir Med 104:794–800. , , , , .
- ICRP. 1994. Publication 66. Human respiratory tract model for radiological protection. Pergamon: ICRP.
- 1974. Theoretical relationship between the optimal models of the vascular tree. Bull Math Biol 36:311–323. , , .
- 2011. The ventilation distribution of helium-oxygen mixtures and the role of inertial losses in the presence of heterogeneous airway obstructions. J Biomech 44:1137–1143. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hyperpolarized helium-3 gas magnetic resonance imaging of the lung. Top Magn Reson Imaging 14:223–230. .
- 2004. Heterogeneity of narrowing in normal and asthmatic airways measured by HRCT. Eur Respir J 24:211–218. , , , , , , .
- 1999. A three-dimensional model of the human airway tree. J Appl Physiol 87:2207–2217. , , .
- 2005. Morphometric changes after thermal and methacholine bronchoprovocations. J Appl Physiol 98:1028–1036. , , , , , .
- 2005. Quantification of airway diameters and 3D airway tree rendering from dynamic hyperpolarized 3He magnetic resonance imaging. Magn Reson Med 53:474–478. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Computational fluid dynamics. IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 28:25–33. , , , .
- 1995. Computer model of human lung morphology to complement SPECT analyses. Int J Biomed Comput 40:5–16. , , , .
- 2007a. Bronchial measurement with three-dimensional quantitative thin-section CT in patients with cystic fibrosis. Radiology 242:573–581. , , , , , , .
- 2007b. Assessment of bronchial wall thickness and lumen diameter in human adults using multi-detector computed tomography: comparison with theoretical models. J Anat 211:579–588. , , , , , .
- 2009. Bronchial measurements in patients with asthma: comparison of quantitative thin-section CT findings with those in healthy subjects and correlation with pathologic findings. Radiology 253:844–853. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A spatial model of the human airway tree: the hybrid conceptual model. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 23:59–68. , , .
- 2010. Preparing for the first breath: genetic and cellular mechanisms in lung development. Dev Cell 18:8–23. , .
- 2000. Airway wall thickness in asthma assessed by computed tomography. Relation to clinical indices. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162:1518–1523. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Measurement of left mainstem bronchus using multiplane CT reconstructions and relationship between patient characteristics or tracheal diameters and left bronchial diameters. Chest 130:101–107. , , , , .
- 2005. Differences in airway remodeling between subjects with severe and moderate asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:544–549. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Measurement of lung airways in three dimensions using hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI. Phys Med Biol 56:3107–3122. , , , .
- 1985. Postnatal enlargement of human tracheobronchial airways and implications for particle deposition. Anat Rec 212:368–380. , , , , .
- 1978. Application of an idealized model to morphometry of the mammalian tracheobronchial tree. Anat Rec 190:167–176. , , , .
- 1995. Diameter-based analysis of the branching geometry of four mammalian bronchial trees. Respir Physiol 102:303–316. , .
- 1994. A diameter-based reconstruction of the branching pattern of the human bronchial tree. Part I. Description and application. Respir Physiol 98:193–217. , , .
- 2010. A multiscale, spatially distributed model of asthmatic airway hyper-responsiveness. J Theor Biol 266:614–624. , , , , , , .
- 2009. 3D airway reconstruction using visible human data set and human casts with comparison to morphometric data. Anat Rec 292:1028–1044. , , .
- 2011. 3D airway tree reconstruction in healthy subjects and emphysema. Lung 189:287–293. , , , .
- 2002. Study of the three-dimensional geometry of the central conducting airways in man using computed tomographic (CT) images. J Anat 200:123–134. , , , , .
- 2004. A digital reference model of the human bronchial tree. Comput.Med.Imaging Graph 28:203–211. , , , , , .
- 1994. Measurement of the internal size of bronchi using high resolution computed tomography (HRCT). Eur Respir J 7:596–600. , , , , .
- 1979. A statistical description of the human tracheobronchial tree geometry. Respir Physiol 37:161–172. , , , .
- 2004. CT-based geometry analysis and finite element models of the human and ovine bronchial tree. J Appl Physiol 97:2310–2321. , , , , , .
- 2007. Relationship between airway narrowing, patchy ventilation and lung mechanics in asthmatics. Eur Respir J 29:1174–1181. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Investigation of hyperpolarized 3He magnetic resonance imaging utility in examining human airway diameter behavior in asthma through comparison with high-resolution computed tomography. Acad Radiol 15:799–808. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Anatomically based three-dimensional model of airways to simulate flow and particle transport using computational fluid dynamics. J Appl Physiol 98:970–980. , , .
- 2005. Self-organized patchiness in asthma as a prelude to catastrophic shifts. Nature 434:777–782. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1963. Morphometry of the human lung. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1992. A model of airway narrowing in asthma and in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 145:1251–1258. , , , , .
- 1980. Models of human lung airways and their application to inhaled particle deposition. Bull Math Biol 42:461–480. , .
- 2010. The role of the bronchial microvasculature in the airway remodelling in asthma and COPD. Respir Res 11:132. , , , , .