Seh Hong Lim and Tsyr-Jiuan Wang contributed equally to this work.
The Distribution of Muscles Fibers and Their Types in the Female Rat Urethra: Cytoarchitecture and Three-Dimensional Reconstruction
Article first published online: 5 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 296, Issue 10, pages 1640–1649, October 2013
How to Cite
Lim, S. H., Wang, T.-J., Tseng, G.-F., Lee, Y. F., Huang, Y.-S., Chen, J.-R. and Cheng, C.-L. (2013), The Distribution of Muscles Fibers and Their Types in the Female Rat Urethra: Cytoarchitecture and Three-Dimensional Reconstruction. Anat Rec, 296: 1640–1649. doi: 10.1002/ar.22740
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAY 2013
- Taichung Veterans General Hospital and National Chung-Hsing University . Grant Number: TCVGH-NCHU957614
- National Science Council of Taiwan . Grant Number: NSC99-2320-B-005-005-MY3
- 1990. Functional responses of different muscle types of the female rat urethra in vitro. Acta physiol Scand 140:365–372. , , .
- 1998. Influence of ovariectomy on the canine striated external urethral sphincter (M. urethralis): a stereological analysis of slow and fast twitch fibres. Urol Res 26:417–422. , .
- 2006. The urethral striated sphincter in adult male rat. Anat Embryol (Berl) 211:435–441. , .
- 2010. Comparison of the contractile properties, oxidative capacities and fibre type profiles of the voluntary sphincters of continence in the rat. J Anat 217:187–195. , , , , .
- 2012. Sex differences in the external urethral Sphincter activity of rats. J Exp Clin Med 4:157–164. , , , .
- 2004. The role of capsaicin-sensitive afferent fibers in the lower urinary tract dysfunction induced by chronic spinal cord injury in rats. Exp Neurol 187:445–454. , .
- 2005. Sexually dimorphic micturition in rats: relationship of perineal muscle activity to voiding pattern. Am J Physiol Reg I 289:R1307–R1318. , .
- 2001. Neural control of the urethra. Scand J Urol Nephrol Suppl 207:35–43; discussion 106–125. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Pharmacological treatment of neurogenic detrusor hyperactivity: oral, patch, intravesical instillation. Prog Urol 17:559–563. , , .
- 1996. Functional anatomy of the organs of micturition. Urol Clin North Am 23:177–210. .
- 2007. Anatomic and functional changes of the lower urinary tract during pregnancy. Urol Clin North Am 34:7–12. , .
- 1994. Age-related changes in fibre number, fibre size, fibre type composition and adenosine triphosphatase activity in rat soleus muscle. Ann Anat 176:429–435. , , , .
- 1975. The structure and innervation of smooth muscle in the wall of the bladder neck and proximal urethra. Br J Urol 47:549–558. , .
- 1981. A comparative study of the human external sphincter and periurethral levator ani muscles. Br J Urol 53:35–41. , , , .
- 2003. Rod distribution and muscle fiber type modification in the progression of nemaline myopathy. J Child Neurol 18:235–240. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Pudendal denervation affects the structure and function of the striated, urethral sphincter in female rats. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 9:88–93. , , , .
- 2008. Animal models of female stress urinary incontinence. J Urol 179:2103–2110. , , , .
- 2006. Biomechanical characterization of the urethral musculature. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F1127–F1134. , , , , , .
- 2004. Development of an experimental system for the study of urethral biomechanical function. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F225–F232. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Motor pudendal nerve characterization in the female rat. Anat Rec 266:21–29. , , , .
- 2007. Striated muscle and nerve fascicle distribution in the female rat urethral sphincter. Anat Rec 290:145–154. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Urethral neuromuscular injury following simulated childbirth injury in a rat model. Neurourol Urodyn 28:597–598. , , , , .
- 1997. Identification of central nervous system neurons that innervate the bladder body, bladder base, or external urethral sphincter of female rats: a transneuronal tracing study using pseudorabies virus. J Comp Neurol 389:584–602. .
- 1986. The organization of the pudendal nerve in the male and female rat. J Comp Neurol 248:532–549. , .
- 2004. Demonstration of bladder selective muscarinic receptor binding by intravesical oxybutynin to treat overactive bladder. J Urol 172:2059–2064. , , , , .
- 2004. Involvement of 5-hydroxytryptamine (HT)7 receptors in the 5-HT excitatory effects on the rat urinary bladder. BJU Int 94:1125–1131. , , , , , .
- 2000. Quantification of intramuscular nerves within the female striated urogenital sphincter muscle. Obstet Gynecol 95(6 Part 1):797–800. , , , , , .
- 2006. External urethral sphincter activity in a rat model of pudendal nerve injury. Neurourol Urodyn 25:388–396. , , , , .
- 2002. Age effects on urethral striated muscle. I. Changes in number and diameter of striated muscle fibers in the ventral urethra. Am J Obstet Gynecol 186:351–355. , , , , .
- 1992. Fiber transformation and fiber replacement in chronically stimulated muscle. J Heart Lung Transplant 11:S299–S305. .
- 1980. The comparative morphology of the bladder and urethra in young and old female C57BL/Icrfat mice. Exp Gerontol 15:551–562. , .
- 2003. The striated urethral sphincter in female rats. Anat Embryol (Berl) 207:169–175. , , , .
- 1996. Morphometry of the aging female rat urethra. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 7:30–36. , , , .
- 2001. Immunolabelling, histochemistry and in situ hybridization in human skeletal muscle fibres to detect myosin heavy chain expression at the protein and mRNA level. J Anat 199 (Part 3):329–337. , , , , , .
- 1993. Proportions of fiber types in the external urethral sphincter of young nulliparous and old multiparous rabbits. Urol Res 21:121–124. , , , .
- 1990. The proportions of fiber types in human external urethral sphincter: electrophoretic analysis of myosin. Urol Res 18:341–344. , , , .
- 1987. Central distribution of efferent and afferent components of the pudendal nerve in rat. Anat Embryol (Berl) 117:37–49. , , .
- 2007. Lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and bladder afferent activity. Neurourol Urodyn 26(6 Suppl):908–913. .
- 2000. Influences of external urethral sphincter relaxation induced by alpha-bungarotoxin, a neuromuscular junction blocking agent, on voiding dysfunction in the rat with spinal cord injury. Urology 55:956–960. , , .