Characterization of Growth, Glomerular Number, and Tubular Proteins in the Developing Rhesus Monkey Kidney
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 296, Issue 11, pages 1747–1757, November 2013
How to Cite
Batchelder, C. A., Keyser, J. L., Lee, C. C. I. and Tarantal, A. F. (2013), Characterization of Growth, Glomerular Number, and Tubular Proteins in the Developing Rhesus Monkey Kidney. Anat Rec, 296: 1747–1757. doi: 10.1002/ar.22756
- Issue online: 24 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 AUG 2012
- California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM). Grant Number: RC1-00144
- California National Primate Research Center base operating grant. Grant Number: OD011107
- 1993. Aquaporin CHIP: the archetypal molecular water channel. Am J Physiol 265:463–476. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Stereological estimation of the absolute number of glomeruli in the kidneys of lambs. Res Vet Sci 60:122–125. , , , , .
- 2006. Comparison of methods for counting cells in the mouse glomerulus. Nephron Exp Nephrol 103:139–148. , , , , .
- 2009. Renal ontogeny in the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) and directed differentiation of human embryonic stem cells towards kidney precursors. Differentiation 78:45–56. , , , , .
- 2010. Ontogeny of the kidney and renal developmental markers in the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta). Anat Rec 293:1971–1983. , , , .
- 2003. Aquaporin expression in normal human kidney and in renal disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 14:2581–2587. , , .
- 1992. Total numbers of glomeruli and individual glomerular cell types in the normal rat kidney. Cell Tissue Res 270:37–45. , , , .
- 2000. Quantitative analysis of the developing rat kidney: absolute and relative volumes and growth curves. Anat Rec 258:128–135. , , , .
- 2001. Counting in the kidney. Kidney Int 59:792–796. .
- 2007. Collecting duct epithelial-mesenchymal transition in fetal urinary tract obstruction. Kidney Int 72:936–944. , , , .
- 2010. Mechanisms of renal injury and progression of renal disease in congenital obstructive nephropathy. Pediatr Nephrol 25:687–697. , , , .
- 2003. Axial heterogeneity in basolateral AQP2 localization in rat kidney: effect of vasopressin. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284:701–717. , , , .
- 2011. A design-based method for estimating glomerular number in the developing kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 300:1448–1453. , , , , .
- 2012a. Estimating nephron number in the developing kidney using the physical disector/fractionator combination. Methods Mol Biol 886:109–119. , , , .
- 2012b. Estimating total nephron number in the adult kidney using the physical disector/fractionator combination. Methods Mol Biol 886:333–350. , , .
- 2010. Regulation of kidney development by Shp2: an unbiased stereological analysis. Anat Rec 293:2147–2153. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of aquaporins-1 and −2 during nephrogenesis and in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Am J Physiol 271:169–183. , , , , , .
- 1992. Pax-2 is a DNA-binding protein expressed in embryonic kidney and Wilms' tumor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:1179–1183. , .
- 1993. Cloning and expression of apical membrane water channel of rat kidney collecting tubule. Nature 361:549–552. , , , , , .
- 2009. Is nephrogenesis affected by preterm birth? Studies in a non-human primate model. Am J Renal Physiol 297:1668–1677. , , , , , .
- 1987. The efficiency of systematic sampling in stereology and its prediction. J Microsc 147:229–263. , .
- 2010. Remodeling of the fetal collecting duct epithelium. Am J Pathol 176:630–637. , , , , .
- 2005. Unbiased Stereology. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Garland Science/BIOS Scientific Publishers. , .
- 2003. A stereological study of glomerular number and volume: preliminary findings in a multiracial study of kidneys at autopsy. Kidney Int 63:S31–S37. , , , , , .
- 2011. Distribution of volumes of individual glomeruli in kidneys at autopsy: association with physical and clinical characteristics and with ethnic group. Am J Nephrol 33:15–20. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Nephron number in patients with primary hypertension. N Engl J Med 348:101–108. , , , , .
- 2009. Characterization and culture of fetal rhesus monkey renal cortical cells. Pediatr Res 66:448–454. , , , , , .
- 2001. IGF-II and IGF binding protein (IGFBP-1, IGFBP-3) gene expression in fetal rhesus monkey tissues during the second and third trimesters. Pediatr Res 49:379–387. , , , .
- 2008. Kidney biopsies can be used for estimations of glomerular number and volume: a pig study. Virchows Arch 452:393–403. , , , , .
- 2002. Altered primate glomerular development due to in utero urinary tract obstruction. Kidney Int 61:1263–1269. , , .
- 2002. Experimental models of fetal obstructive nephropathy. Pediatr Nephrol 27:470–476. , .
- 1997. Aquaporin-1 water channel expression in human kidney. J Am Soc Nephrol 8:1–14. , , , , , , .
- 2010. A comparison of nephron number, glomerular volume and kidney weight in Senegalese Africans and African Americans. Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:1514–1520. , , , , , .
- 2004. Nephron endowment and filtration surface area in the kidney after growth restriction of fetal sheep. Pediatr Res 55:769–773. , , , , .
- 2010. Decellularized rhesus monkey kidney as a three-dimensional scaffold for renal tissue engineering. Tissue Eng Part A 16:2207–2210. , , , .
- 2011. Renal tissue engineering with decellularized rhesus monkey kidneys: age-related differences. Tissue Eng Part A 17:2891–2901. , , , .
- 2013. Tissue specificity of decellularized rhesus monkey kidney and lung scaffolds. PLoS One 8:e64134. , , , .
- National Institutes of Health, NIDDK, ASPN. 2000. Research Needs in Pediatric Kidney Disease: 2000 and Beyond. Pediatric Nephrology Task Force Publication. Available online at http://www2.niddk.nih.gov/NR/rdonlyres/DC7B952F-9CDD-44DD-B0ABBFE79A774AE5/0/Pediatric_Kidney_Disease_2000_and_Beyond.pdf. Last accessed 3/1/13.
- 1998. Expression of an AQP2 cre recombinase transgene in kidney and male reproductive system of transgenic mice. Am J Physiol 275:216–226. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Cellular and subcellular immunolocalization of vasopressin-regulated water channel in rat kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90:11663–11667. , , , , .
- North American Pediatric Renal Trials and Collaborative Studies (NAPRTCS). 2011. Annual Dialysis Report 2011. The EMMES Corporation, Rockville, MD.
- 1999. Stereologic methods and their application in kidney research. J Am Soc Nephrol 10:1100–1123. .
- 1992. Glomerular number and size in relation to age, kidney weight, and body surface in normal man. Anat Rec 232:194–201. , .
- 1992. The isector: a simple and direct method for generating isotropic, uniform random sections from small specimens. J Microsc 165:427–431. , .
- 1988. Total number of neurons and glial cells in human brain nuclei estimated by the disector and the fractionator. J Microsc 150:1–20. , .
- 1990. The candidate Wilm's tumour gene is involved in genitourinary development. Nature 346:194–197. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Severe urinary concentrating defect in renal collecting duct-selective AQP2 conditional-knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103:6037–6042. , , , , .
- 2009. Regeneration of glomerular podocytes by human renal progenitors. J Am Soc Nephrol 20:322–332. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The association between age and nephrosclerosis on renal biopsy among healthy adults. Ann Intern Med 152:561–567. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Cloning, characterization, and chromosomal mapping of human aquaporin of collecting duct. J Clin Invest 93:1250–1256. , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Organogenesis of the kidney. In: Barlow, PW, Green PB, White, CC, ed., Developmental and Cell Biology Series. Volume 19. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. p 1–171. .
- 1999. Large juxtamedullary glomeruli and afferent arterioles in healthy primates. Kidney Int 55:1462–1469. , , , .
- 2001. Morphology of renal afferent arterioles and glomeruli, heart weight, and blood pressure in primates. Am J Hypertens 14:331–337. , , , .
- 1984. The unbiased estimation of number and sizes of arbitrary particles using the disector. J Microsc 134:127–136. .
- 2005. Ultrasound imaging in rhesus (Macaca mulatta) and long-tailed (Macaca fascicularis) macaques: reproductive and research applications. Woolfe-Coote S, ed., In: The Laboratory Primate. Amsterdam: Elsevier, p 317–351. .
- 1995. Characterization of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) axis in the serum of maternal and fetal macaques (Macaca mulatta and Macaca fascicularis). Growth Regul 5:190–198. , .
- 2001. Fetal rhesus monkey model of obstructive renal dysplasia. Kidney Int 59:446–456. , , , , , .
- 2012. Radiolabeling and in vivo imaging of transplanted renal cell lineages differentiated from human embryonic stem cells in fetal rhesus monkeys. Mol Imaging Biol 14:197–204. , , , , , .
- U.S. Renal Data System. 2010. USRDS 2010 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD.
- 2007. Are glomerular volume differences between type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients pathologically significant? Diabetologia 50:906–912. , , .
- 2003. Reduced nephron number in adult sheep, hypertensive as a result of prenatal glucocorticoid treatment. J Physiol 549:929–935. , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of AQP family in rat kidneys during development and maturation. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 272:198–204. , , , , , , , , .